Search Unity

Exploder VS Fracturing Destruction

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alanj2007, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Alanj2007

Alanj2007

2. im

im

i asked basically the same question

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/18...ty-3D/page11?p=1442012&viewfull=1#post1442012

i got exploder the other day on sale,

but one can never have enough assets / never miss a sale / they may be good for different uses (who knows)

here is list i have, including some others...

Exploder $35.00 [$17.50] 5/5x23 (realtime)
    Fracturing Destruction $60.00 [$30.00] 5/5x20 (precalculated)
    Mesh Explosion $20.00 [$8.00] 5/5x20 (realtime)
    Piecemaker - Mesh Destruction $30.00 5/5x10 (prefabs)
    Fracture - PRO $50.00 5/5x3 (realtime)
    BoomBox - Object Destruction and Shrapnel System $20.00 4/5x5 (prefabs)
    Fragmentum $35.00 4/5x3 (precalculated)
    Breakable Items $10.00 (prefabs)

not in order, bracket [] are sale prices

there also maybe free ones available!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. mgear

mgear

4. im

im

in case author does not repost in this thread here is what destruction author said in response to sort of this question

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/18...ty-3D/page11?p=1442091&viewfull=1#post1442091

sounds like f&d is more like Unreal's Fractured Static Meshes
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FractureTool.html

so if you want to damage a building like you see in battlefield 3/4 you want f&d but if you want to break windows then exploder should work...

also it may be useful to have both...

pick up f&d now since its on sale and wait for another sale of exploder...

its like having a tool chest u just dont have one philips screw driver or hammer for that matter...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. UGTools

UGTools

6. Alanj2007

Alanj2007

Thank you guys for replying this thread also give me something that might useful for me :)

7. im

im

@shwa look at this thread!

time's almost up

anyone who has purchased one of these asset dont be bashful let us know what you think...

8. lazygunn

lazygunn

I've been using piecemaker for a long time, cant really afford or justify anything new, it has served me very well although i don't know if it's still being worked on (the creator is is still around regularly though so support isnt a problem)

If something breaks in on of my games (intentionally) it was done with piecemaker, i like it! Its perfectly what you'd want for pregenerated destruction although maybe a more recently developed and updated thing might be more relevant these days

I'm not sure fragmentum should be on the list, it doesnt really do the same thing, from what i've observed anyways.

I've had good experiences support-wise from the shatter toolkit developer and the webdemos ive used make it seem really cool, but its another older product

F&D looks pretty neat though, for something newish i've seen, i watched some vids and it offers some great control over the structure of your destruction (theres an irony there)

I'd get something for realtime use if I were to get something now, even on mobiles the processing isnt that taxing now and its a much more impressive, and easy to organise idea. Prefab/precalculated solutions end up with a crapload of stuff generated inside your asset folder, and often many repeated attempts at trying to get something to break right, and then repeat the process ad infinitum if you have a bunch of things to break up