Search Unity

Expired Unity 5 Perpetual license?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Lempereur, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Lempereur

Lempereur

So back in December, like many other people probably, I got the offer to upgrade my Unity 5 perpetual licenses to the new subscription based license scheme. I went ahead and upgraded, and was told everything would be just fine until the new version of Unity came out and the subscription scheme came into effect for post Unity 5 versions.

But yesterday I went to load my project, and was asked for a serial key... Confused, I typed in my key figuring something might have been messed up. Nope, I get an error message that says my licenses expired as of 2-19-2017... My account no longer shows any of my licenses that I paid for. Nor does it show any upgraded subscription based licenses either.

So now I am locked out of my project. I have several features that rely on the pro version, so just putting the trial version back on is not an option for me. What's worse... is Unity support says they should get back to me within 5 days. and there is no phone number to call to get this sorted out right now.

I can not afford to lose a week of production time because something messed up my licenses...

2. rogueNoodle

rogueNoodle

I'm curious how this was resolved for you - the exact issue has just happened for me. My previously purchased licenses are not showing and I see no way to log in with the subscription I signed up for. Extremely frustrating...

3. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Same here, sent an email to support a few days ago and still waiting for a reply

4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I'm sure glad I didn't take the upgrade offer. :)

5. Sebioff

Sebioff

This is really dumb and frustrating. From what I can tell the license key is nowhere to be found in the online administration area, it's only being sent by email? There doesn't appear to be any way to resend that email.
    The FAQ for where to find your key points to outdated instructions that don't work anymore.
    A valid seat is assigned to my account and I'm logged into my account in Unity, so why do I need a license key at all?

After you dug up the key and entered it you get a survey. There's a button for skipping the survey but it doesn't do anything.

Oh and by the way, you're automatically signed up for renewing your license as soon as it expires (can't recall being asked about that when buying but alright, might have missed it).
    When trying to disable that all you get is an error message.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  6. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

These articles may help:

https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/209933966-How-do-I-find-my-license-serial-number-
    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/209933926-How-do-I-assign-a-seat-to-a-user-
    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/211438683-How-do-I-activate-my-license-

Also, if anyone has activated in the past, you can update your serial number without having to reactivate through this process:

Unity> Activate new license> Type in your new serial number. If you are a Windows user, the 'Help' button will be used in place of the 'Unity' button.

Please note that you will need to be signed in with your Unity account to have this 'activate' option.

Let me know if anything is unclear.

7. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi Sara,

EDIT: Just realised I was sent a new serial key to my email. I have a question:

If I stop my current subscription, will I still have access to Unity 4 and 5 pro (as I already purchased perpetual licenses for them in the past)?

8. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

No, your perpetual is effectively gone once you migrate to subscription.

Edit: Wrong above, this is the correct info:

Subscription users that migrate lose their old serials, but perpetual users just lose the functionality for the 3 month trial period that they get (subs users don't get this) and then their perpetuals will be reinstated in April. So they will be able to use them again and haven't lost anything, they just HAVE to use their new ones if they want access to Unity 2017.1 and onwards.

9. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

I guess I should have spent more time reading the fine print... It came across as an "offer" for pro perpetual license holders to upgrade to the new Unity version at an initial discount.

Although, I don't see why we wouldn't be able keep our perpetual license for older versions of the software? We would have to upgrade on our own as soon as the older versions became untenable anyway, so to straight up void something we've already paid for seems like a net negative from a user's perspective.

Just my 50 cents.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  10. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

What, what!? I understand applying the subscription for updates going forward, but you guys can't just void perpetual licenses for previous versions that were already purchased.

melgeorgiou likes this.
  11. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Actually guys, sorry. This is the correct information (I just spoke with Support):

Subscription users that migrate lose their old serials, but perpetual users just lose the functionality for the 3 month trial period that they get (subs users don't get this) and then their perpetuals will be reinstated in April. So they will be able to use them again and haven't lost anything, they just HAVE to use their new ones if they want access to Unity 2017.1 and onwards.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  12. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Ah that's good news. It's good to know that Unity is still the cool company I thought it was before this debacle lol. The previous explanation seemed entirely unreasonable. I'm glad our old licenses will be reinstated in April.

Thanks for clarifying!

SaraCecilia likes this.
  13. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Yes, sorry for the confusion before!!

14. rogueNoodle

rogueNoodle

@SaraCecilia Thanks for the update on this. Is there a reason why the perpetual license serials were removed from our account info? I unfortunately no longer have the original emails that contained the serial numbers, and so relied on that account information in the past whenever I needed them. Hopefully the sales team will be able to provide me with that info - I sent them the invoice number but have not received a response.

15. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

If you migrated your license to the new system, you can only see your new license on your Organization. Your perpetual will be 'reawoken' on April 1st once you have had time to enjoy the trial of the new system.

16. buestad

buestad

How can I then use Unity3d 5.5.0f3 (32 bit) ??? My licence is not working anymore !!!

I need this version!

17. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

It's not working anymore due to you migrating over to subscription? You can use any version of Unity 5 with your subscription, that shouldn't be a limitation.

18. buestad

buestad

I have a subscription for 2017 pro with a seat assigned to my user, but I cannot start Unity 5.5.0f3 32bit. If I try to enter the serial key it says that it is expired...

19. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Ok yes, your perp license serial key will not work in this case, you will have to enter your subscription serial that was sent to your e-mail. I've poked Support now to resend you the e-mail.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

My license expired on unity 5.6 I'm Klann and Chosed personal because it's free being they expired my license I will not be needing this program have a nice day