Search Unity

Official Experimental Entities 0.51 is Available

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by mfuad, May 13, 2022.

1. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

You can just keep adding filters in the search, like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. c:Simulate c:SceneReference

2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Understood. Feedback ingested.

DreamingImLatios likes this.
  3. kite3h

kite3h

Where is "Project Settings > Player > Configuration Section > IL2CPP Code Generation > Faster (smaller) builds." menu? I cant find it.

4. PBN_Pure

PBN_Pure

Can We get an explanation for the removal of custom batch sizes in IJobEntityBatch now its only by chunk or singular entity which is just F***ing useless. It just seems like a work around with no positive impact and now people who need this feature for certain use cases have to make their own inefficient work around

upload_2022-7-28_13-44-24.png

5. Enzi

Enzi

Never made much sense to begin with. A full chunk iteration count is based on the archetype capacity and not some arbitrary batch count. Splitting chunks on worker threads is also not the best idea.
    I wonder what's your use-case that you feel so strong about this change.

6. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

On the topic of Entity development UI, some folks over on the DOTS discord (including me) would greatly appreciate if there was some way to "folder" or group together entities in the hierarchy without chaining transform inheritance.

Something just editor only for the sake of understanding and debugging. For example, in my current project's stress test, I spawn about 500 lights in a "halo" around a single primary entity. Since these lights are static, they dont need to move anymore and there is no need to link their transforms together.

However, that leaves 500 otherwise redundant entities clogging up valuable space on the hierarchy page that other more important entities could exist in.

upload_2022-7-29_0-4-52.png

I speak for a few others on the discord for a way to folder and group entities together only in the editor and not establish any actual relationships between them. Just for visual sake in the DOTS Hierarchy tab like how subscenes are grouped.

varnon, peaj_metric, Enzi and 4 others like this.
  7. Rupture13

Rupture13

Putting filters like this seems to operate as an OR (i.e. it will show entities that contain either (or both) of the filtered components). In the old Entities Debugger, selecting multiple components would operate as an AND (i.e. only showing entities that have both the filtered components).

Though I reckon the OR-way can be useful in certain use-cases, the AND-way seems far more valuable (especially for debugging) and it would be a loss if that would no longer be possible.

Occuros, Krajca and StickyTommie like this.
  8. Rail9

Rail9

Install HybridRenderer_Version 0.51.0-preview.32 - June 15, 2022 and PlatformsAndroid_Version 0.10.0-preview.10 - January 22, 2021 in the project just created Then I get the following error, is this a bug?

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.platforms.android@0.10.0-preview.10\Editor\Unity.Build.Android\Components\AndroidKeystore.cs(12,25): error CS1929: 'HierarchicalComponentContainer<BuildConfiguration, IBuildComponent>.ReadOnly' does not contain a definition for 'GetBuildTargetGroup' and the best extension method overload 'BuildTargetExtensions.GetBuildTargetGroup(Platform)' requires a receiver of type 'Platform'.

I've already asked this question here, but since I can't seem to get an answer, I've come here.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unable-to-use-com-unity-platforms-android.1314540/
    Is there a workaround?

9. Rail9

Rail9

Thank you cyriaca.

I was able to build it successfully, but Entity is not showing up.
    Also, for some reason the frame rate dropped from 72 fps to 40-50 fps.

I tried to find the reason why it is not showing up, but I saw someone said that it does not show up when Valkan is used, so I checked the settings, but it was not used from the beginning.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/entities-not-rendering-on-linux-build.1127816/

My project settings have Auto Graphics API unchecked and Graphics APIs is OpenGLES3 only

JesOb likes this.
  10. Enzi

Enzi

+1
    I have missed the discussion on Discord but I'd also highly appreciate a way to group entities in the hierarchy view for debugging purposes outside of entities having any relationships.
    I also have groups of certain entity types and usually test with 250k. While I'm always filtering by "c: [componentType]" it would be a lot easier to just group them. Keeping the hierarchy neat and clean.

11. TieSKey

TieSKey

If u mean that your entities don't render, check the rendering layer mask setting in your materials. It was broken in previous versions and now that it is fixed, it can "filter out" entities from being renderer if the value is not the correct one. (int.max for always rendering)

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think grouping hierarchies per archetype would be very useful. Or at least per tags components.

Or alternatively, having special filter component on entities. But I think tha would be complex to program it.

varnon likes this.
  13. Rail9

Rail9

Thank you TieSKey.

But I don't know where that setting can be configured.

I'm using Universal Render PipeLine/Lit, which is compatible with Dots, but there is no rendering layer mask setting in the inspector.

I see RenderLayerMask in the AdditionalSettings of Mesh Render, but I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to.

Changing it to Everything or something else doesn't seem to make any difference.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  14. TieSKey

TieSKey

My bad, it isn't in the material itself but in the renderer component of the entity, yes.

15. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

This request has been made for a very long time on the GameObject side as well. We're aware. I can't promise anything, but I can say that the needle is moving towards this goal. That is to say, you'll get Entity "folders" when we also get GameObject "folders".

Sylmerria, mariandev, Occuros and 2 others like this.
  16. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Oh no. I'm reading "never".

Also on that front, how about an ability to group together components? Like the LocalToWorld, Translation, Rotation, NonUniformScale components into one "Transform" component group in the entity property inspector.

I have a bunch of decomposed components for optimal burst compilation, 30 and rising on the primary player entity, and I have to scroll and scroll and scroll just to find the components im looking for and depending on the authoring order, they might not even be grouped next to each other.

I have never been more thankful of my mouse's ability to unlock the scroll wheel after scrolling so much.

17. Elapotp

Elapotp

@Kmsxkuse , as far as I understand, Aspects from Entities 1.0 will handle that. We just need to wait for release

Kmsxkuse likes this.
  18. Enzi

Enzi

Right now, an Inspector class could be a solution for your problem.
    What I don't know is if it's possible to query all the other data you need to visualize. I see no reason why not though.

Here's a basic implementation that I was using for showing pointer data:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public unsafe class StatReferenceBuffer_Inspector : Inspector<StatReferenceBuffer>
    2.     {
    3.         public override VisualElement Build()
    4.         {
    5.             var root = new VisualElement();
    7.             var entity = new EntityField("Entity") { value = Target.StatPtr->entity };
    8.             //var statType = new EnumField("StatType", Target.StatPtr->StatType);
    9.             //var changeType = new EnumField("changeType", Target.StatPtr->changeType);
    10.             //var value = new FloatField("Value") { value = Target.StatPtr->value };
    12.             root.Add(entity);
    13.             //root.Add(statType);
    14.             //root.Add(changeType);
    15.             //root.Add(value);
    17.             return root;
    18.         }
    20.         public override void Update()
    21.         {
    22.             base.Update();
    23.         }
    24.     }

Kmsxkuse likes this.
  19. Rail9

Rail9

Apparently there was a problem with the VR.
    This page provides some information.
    It may be helpful for those with the same symptoms with OculusQuest.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/dots-for-vr.1049432/

20. Occuros

Occuros

As long as you use Vulkan renderer it should work fine.

Quest 2 in both editor, windows standalone (with link) and in an android build work.

performance is another issue with the hybrid renderer on the quest…

21. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, a new patch version Entities 0.51.1 is now available. You can find a list of fixes in the changelog.

Deleted User, Krajca, Elapotp and 6 others like this.
  22. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

What I mean was: the needle has started moving now. There's a team actively working towards this. I just can't promise exactly which release it will be public.

Yes, exactly this:

bb8_1, Sylmerria, Occuros and 3 others like this.
  23. optimise

optimise

@uDamian I would like to confirm with u that is that Platform package has been confirmed will be removed at dots 1.0 release and will go back to use classic way to build player runtime i.e. Build Settings?

24. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

The platforms package itself will not be removed (in 1.0, it will contain all the code from com.unity.properties.ui, so we kinda need it around for a while), but I can confirm that the plan for 1.0 is to move away from Build Configs and back to Build Settings.

optimise, mariandev, bb8_1 and 3 others like this.
  25. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

But will the features from the platforms package be ported over or simply scraped?

26. Rail9

Rail9

I have seen this article before, but some people were not able to see the entities after the build when using Valkan.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/entities-not-rendering-on-linux-build.1127816/
    And I also use Valkan and it does not show up in Quest1.

27. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

A lot of features won't survive this move, but I'm not sure exactly which will move and which won't. That said, it should not be any worse than building for regular Unity (non-DOTS). This is a prioritization exercise. We can't fully finish, support, and replace the regular build system, so instead of keeping 2 ways of building we're going back to 1 standard way of building. Any new features in this area will therefore benefit both DOTS and non-DOTS projects.

M_R, mariandev, JesOb and 1 other person like this.
  28. optimise

optimise

I see. Platform package is really powerful tool that able to have multiple different build configuration to come out different builds for different purpose at target platform. It's really sad that it will be removed in future release.

Another question I would like to ask is about dots addressables. Will dots addressables have good hybrid support for instantiate game object, load game object land scene, load game object land asset that is managed type like Sprite and provide good hybrid support that game object can work in harmony with dots? Currently using game object land addressables is quite hard to integrate into dots especially when u want to use async load addressables.

zandalus likes this.
  29. optimise

optimise

I still find platforms package is really useful tooling that I would like to keep it. Maybe official should keep and maintain platforms package and rethink how the platforms package works in another way. I think platforms package should evolves to be like the extension/additional feature on top of game object land Build Settings. So when u press Build button at build config to get player runtime build, it just feed build config data into game object land build pipeline like PlayerSettings and also feed some build config specific data into Entity at Subscene before starting the build so I get specific player runtime build I want for each build config. Not to mention different player define setup for each build config and the feature list goes on. And also I think it's also essential feature for dots netcode that u can have some specific settings for client and server runtime player build. Without this platforms package, I really think it's damn hard and tedious to achieve the same goal. Can't imagine how to achieve the same thing without plaforms package. I really hope official can reconsider this continue to maintain platforms package in different way.

WAYNGames likes this.
  30. ogladinria

ogladinria

Is there any known issue with the Hybrid Renderer on Linux/Vulkan with more than one Nvidia GPU ? I made a test program that is running very well with a single screen and a single GPU (so much faster than non DOTS version !) but on the production environment with two GPUs and two screens per GPU using Nvidia Mosaic, it freezes with no trace in the log file...

31. iamarugin

iamarugin

Why not scrap out the standard build setting, and continue to support only platforms package? Why leave standard build settings behind you will ask. Because they are awfull as soon as you need to build something more complex, than just a tutorial game. Imagine building several times a week a game and a demo for it (containing only subset of scenes) for three platforms and x86, x64 architectures using standard settings. You can argue, that we can implement our build system for our needs. By why to reinvent the wheel, when platforms package already exists and works perfectly?

32. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

This a very core feature. It's not exactly a leaf feature that we can just take out. We did "just keep it around" for a long time but it started to break and we weren't able to resource an entire build team but only for DOTS. I fully agree this is not ideal. No argument there.

The good news though is that now we're in the same boat as everyone else, using the same Build Settings window, and will benefit alongside everyone else if that workflow is improved. I encourage you to submit (or vote on) Builder Configs features you'll miss most - on our (relatively new) roadmap/ideas page here:
    https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform

mariandev and iamarugin like this.
  33. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

zandalus likes this.
  34. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Which category should we submit this issue under in order for it to get it the most attention? Editor, Engineering, or Platforms?

Would love to see the Build Settings improved: would especially love to build for platform X while the editor is on platform Y, I never understood why the reimport was necessary in the editor and couldn't be done by the build process itself.

zandalus and TieSKey like this.
  35. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Engineering seems like the best fit, imo.
    I think the reimport is necessary because Unity doesn't have the concept of multiple import outputs. Since imports can depend on platform flags, a reimport is needed. But also because it offers a way to "simulate" running the game on that platform to some extent - something you could not do with Build Configs+DOTS. So it's a trade-off.

36. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

That may be so, but simulating the platform and building for it are still 2 different things. I can initially get behind the approach of “keep code simple, to build you need switch”, but with Unity supporting every platform it becomes kindof a problem if you’ve got 5 platforms to build to. Like, at least give us a buffer that automates the process, like builds for a, switches, builds for b etc. then switches back to the version you started on, that way you can at least do it overnight without manually having to switch every time a build is finished, there’s probably some clever tools designers out there who already did this.

sorry, I’m ranting, thanks for referring to the roadmaps where I’ll make the suggestion.

37. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, we just shared a new update. Check it out!

Krajca and Anthiese like this.
  38. Tony_Max

Tony_Max

Why there is no word about removing
    GameObjectConversionSystem.AddHybridComponent
    in upgrade guide? :(

39. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

That's just mentioned in Changelog :)

40. Tony_Max

Tony_Max

Only see mention about this in 0.18 Deprecated section

41. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Has anyone tried DOTS 0.51 with Unity 2022?

With all the big breaking changes in between 0.51 and 1.0 we are likely to ship and maintain our game on 0.51, but 2022 has some nice things to it that we'd like to have down the line, like DX12 support for instance.