Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Experimental Character Controller package now available (formerly known as "Rival")

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by philsa-unity, Mar 1, 2023.

1. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Character Controller discussion thread. You can use this thread to ask for help, share feedback, and have discussions about the Character Controller package.

For users looking to quickly jump into building their game, the Character Controller experimental package is now available and compatible with the pre-release of ECS for Unity, including documentation and implementation samples. This package provides an efficient and highly-customizable character controller solution for ECS for Unity and can be used with the Unity Physics or Havok Physics for Unity packages. It was designed with netcode prediction in mind, ensuring that the character state is small and that users have full control over the character update.

As a reminder: Experimental releases are not supported or recommended for production but provide early access for those who want to try out the Character Controller package in their projects. This also helps us make progress on development through everyone’s feedback.

Distribution changes
    This package was previously distributed on the Asset Store, under the name "Rival - DOTS Character Controller", and is now being distributed via the package manager in the editor, as we continue to consolidate workflows around ECS for Unity. The asset store listing will also be deprecated as part of this consolidation.

Resources
    The following resources are available for the package:
    Requirements
    The experimental Character Controller package is compatible with Unity 2022.2.6f1 and above, and also depends on the pre-release of com.unity.entities and com.unity.physics packages.

Getting started
    Follow these steps to import the package into your project:
    1. Open the Package Manager window (be sure to use Unity 2022.2.6f1 and above)
    2. Click the "+" button at the top left
    3. Select "Add package by name..."
    4. Enter com.unity.charactercontroller
    5. click "Add". This will import the package into your project
    At this point, if this is the first package depending on Entities that you have imported into your project, you may see an "error CS0006" in the console. If this happens, you should restart Unity before you continue.

Once the character package is imported, navigate to the "Samples" tab of the Character Controller package's page. Here, you can download the "Standard Characters" sample, which contains pre-made first-person and third-person character controllers that can serve as a starting point for you to create your own character controllers.

For more information, consult the Documentation.

Feedback
    Please share your feedback in this thread as we're always interested in discussing potential improvements!

How to report bugs
    Ideally, we'd like any bugs reported through the built-in bug reporter tool, as that will automatically provide us with some relevant context. Once you have submitted a bug report through the bug reporter, please feel free to start a discussion about it in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

It is amazing to see, how contributions of our community member fructuating.

I haven't had an opportunity to look into packages as of yet. But it I believe, it is great move from Unity, to get community assistance and support in DOTS expanding domain.

koirat likes this.
  3. filod

filod

Any upgrade document for rival user ?

adamluzsi and UniqueCode like this.
  4. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

Aside from a namespace change, the code hasn't really changed compared to the latest version on the store.

Simply delete the old "Rival" folder (imported from the store), import the new package, and convert your "using Rival;" to "using Unity.CharacterController;". Existing characters built from the store version's Standard Characters will still work

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    adamluzsi, Nams33, filod and 3 others like this.
  5. CaffeinatedCoolaid

CaffeinatedCoolaid

I have a question related to the design (still very new to ecs). The example characters appear to be based more around trying to mimic a Object-oriented pattern than a Data-Drivin one which seems a little counter intuitive to the reasons why I am trying to learn Dots/Ecs. I would assume that instead of hardcoding a state system like in the platformer example there would be seperate systems for things like swiming,climbing, ect. Is there a specific reason for not being desined like this?

Ex: Is overhead of the seperate systems not worth it or something alike?

6. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

There are pros and cons to every approach:
    • Structural changes state machine: the state machine can be split into many jobs by adding/removing state components to the character entity. However, structural changes like this are known to be relatively expensive, so if your states change often, this cost may very well outweigh the benefits
    • Enabled components state machine: instead of adding/removing state components to the character entity, we could just have every state component already on the character, and enable/disable them. This has a much lighter cost than structural changes, but comes with other downsides such as adding a certain constant job overhead and reducing the amount of entities that can fit in the chunk (see the "When IEnableableComponent is not the answer" section of the DOTS Best Practices guide)
    • Switch statement state machine: this approach sacrifices some execution efficiency due to relying on switch statements and operating on all the data across all states, but comes with a few advantages that can sometimes make it preferable to the other approaches:
      • no structural change costs or main thread sync points.
      • no constant jobs overhead added due to jobs constantly iterating on disabled components in chunks.
      • only pay the scheduling costs of one job instead of one job per function per character state. In this case, the character has 12 states of 6 functions each, which would total 72 jobs¹ when implemented using the other approaches.
        • 72 jobs is already potentially starting to enter "too many jobs for just one thing" territory, but in netcode projects where the # of jobs scheduled per frame can get multiplied by ~10 due to rollback/prediction, that would give us up to 720 jobs to schedule just to handle our character state machine. At this point, the scheduling cost alone will probably take a non-negligible % of your frame budget, and if using enabled components, the overhead of 720 jobs iterating over disabled components constantly is likely to be meaningful.
        • There will most likely be a threshold where one of the "many jobs" approaches will outperform this "switch" approach, but that would most likely only be if your game has many thousands active characters in the scene (or maybe even tens of thousands?). Under that threshold, especially for a typical game with 200 or less active characters, the switch approach would probably be the best-performing approach. Basically, if the number of jobs seems disproportionally high compared to the number of entities being worked on (700 jobs for 100 characters), that's a sign that something like the switch approach might be a better choice.
    • Function pointers state machine: more or less the same pros and cons as the switch state machine. I haven't compared their performance yet but it would be interesting to see
    The best approach will heavily depend on your precise use case, and should probably be decided by profiling each approach.

Notes
    1. While a direct equivalent implementation would require 72 jobs, there's always the possibility of thinking of alternatives that do not exactly fit the "state machine" model, where less jobs are required. It's difficult to discuss this in a general way without looking at one very specific problem though

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  7. CaffeinatedCoolaid

CaffeinatedCoolaid

Thank you very much for the informative response!

8. Ofx360

Ofx360

upload_2023-3-8_15-54-20.png

Tried getting it on 2022.2.8f1 and 2023.1.0b7, but doesn't seem to work

HiddenTess likes this.
  9. Occuros

Occuros

For me it worked when adding the package through git url.

10. UniqueCode

UniqueCode

Works for 2022.2.8f1. I like having one folder less in my Assets. Had to fix a few lines of code because I adapted the thirdperson sample.

11. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

I've seen some reports of people not being able to find the package on 2022.2.8f1, and some who are able to find it. I'll try to investigate this. I just went and tried it on 2022.2.8f1 and I was able to find it, but there might be something I'm missing

12. Thunderik

Thunderik

Hi Philsa,

I'm been trying to learn the package and I'm trying to understand 2 parts, the variable vs fixed updating and the update contexts and I am hoping you could give some insight to these topics so that I may get better at using the character controller!
    1. What more than rotation of the character should be put in the variable update?
    2. What is the point of update contexts? Why not just update the character's values in the system?

13. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

I'd say it would be just for rotation in the majority of cases, but I avoided naming it the "Rotation Update" just in case some people see other uses for it (like handling some gameplay or animation-related values for example)

Some people might also choose to update rotation as part of the physics update in certain cases (see the "Velocity and rotation update frequencies" section of the documentation for additional details)

Contexts are for storing any data that isn't a component/buffer on the character entity, but that the character might need. An example of this is the "friction surfaces" in the tutorial. Here we need a component lookup for the "friction surface" component, so that when we hit another entity, we can see if it has that component

Since the character aspect can be used by multiple different systems/jobs, contexts provide a centralized way to "build" that data for your character aspect, instead of having to manually build it in all jobs that use the aspect

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  14. Ofx360

Ofx360

What was the URL you used?

15. UniqueCode

UniqueCode

I think the CharacterController should have it's own forum section now that it's official.

Actual question:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. KinematicCharacterProperties.SetCollisionDetectionActive(false);
    2. ecb.SetComponentEnabled<KinematicCharacterBody>(entity, false);
    This freezes the CC in place and disables any movement. But I'm trying to completely disable the CC in favor of the ragdoll. The catch: I need to be able to reenable the CC, so completely removing all the components is not an option. Think Skyrims active ragdolls.

Attached Files:

16. Occuros

Occuros

The same you used, and @philsa-unity shared with us.

From your screenshot it looks like you used the named package, I went for the git url for the package (with the dropdown). Not sure if that would help?

17. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

With these two lines, are you seeing anything else that would need to be disabled? I would imagine the physics shape/body are still active, so you might also have to set the physics shape's collision response to None. Although by default it is set to be a trigger so it shouldn't interfere with ragdoll physics

EDIT: did you make sure to write back the changes to the KinematicCharacterProperties component, after calling "SetCollisionDetectionActive(false)" on it? I think maybe a utility function modifying the properties by ref would make it clearer that this modifies the component's data and that it must be written back

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  18. thelebaron

thelebaron

Could alternatively remove PhysicsWorldIndex from the CC entity

19. UniqueCode

UniqueCode

Removing PhysicsWorldIndex worked fine, thank you. Even tho the PhysicsShape is set to Raise Trigger Events (by default), SetCollisionDetection is set to false and the KinematicCharacterBody is disabled the player can still collide with the invisible CC of the ragdolling npc (and hit it with attacks). I honestly don't know if doing it this way is a good approach to ragdolling characters/characters getting into vehicles etc. Maybe a good topic for the CC manual.

20. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

I see, this might be a bug. I'll look into it

UniqueCode likes this.
  21. filod

filod

Wondering How to create non standard character (quadruped/spider-like) ?
    seems CapsuleCollider is the only option, any suggestion?

22. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

You're allowed to use any convex collider shape in any orientation, so in simple cases you could use a horizontal capsule, or a long box, or a custom convex collider, etc...

However in the case of horses, something fancier might be needed depending on the level of fidelity you're looking for. I could imagine implementing these as two character capsules that are constrained with each other (one for front legs, one for back legs) so the horse can properly adjust its posture to terrain inclines or detect that there's no grounding for only the back legs for example. This is an untested idea though, and would surely require heavy customization

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    filod likes this.
  23. UniqueCode

UniqueCode

One more problem: After disabling the CC (SetCollisionDetectionActive(false), SetComponentEnabled<KinematicCharacterBody>(entity, false), RemoveComponent<PhysicsWorldIndex>(entity)) I still had to remove the interpolation component RemoveComponent<CharacterInterpolation>(entity) or else the "CC disabled, animating, not ragdolling" character would jitter. Obviously this is a temporary solution ^^

24. PolarTron

PolarTron

We are making a horse game and I experimented with the concept of having two constrained capsule colliders last year using Rival. I ended up moving away from this approach because of the pandora's box of issues that will pop up once you make the horse physical. Trust me, it gets silly and annoying real fast.

We are now basing our horse's movement on this talk
    and I'm planning on doing simple casts around the horse to get information to feed to the Forward Locomotion system.

So to put it simply. The horse moves using a custom kinematic horse movement controller but the player will be using Rival.

apkdev, Kreshi and philsa-unity like this.
  25. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

How is your ragdoll setup in this case? Is it still attached to the character entity with a Fixed Joint or something similar when the character is disabled?

26. UniqueCode

UniqueCode

In the case I'm describing the npc sleeps, so it's not ragdolling but animating. So the CC is disabled (so other people don't collide with the air and the CC doesn't push it out of the bed etc.), the animated GameObject part is playing an animation and the kinematic ragdoll parts follow the animated bones. Basically disabling KinematicCharacterBody does not stop the interpolation from messing with LocalTransform but (I guess) because it's disabled it does not update the "previous position" that the interpolation uses. And because I "teleport" the npc into bed at the same time as disabling the CC, the "previous position" it uses is grossly wrong.

philsa-unity likes this.
  27. broberson

broberson

Still having issues getting it to install this package. Ended up adding `"com.unity.charactercontroller": "1.0.0-exp.2",` to manifest.json to finally get it installed. Hopefully that'll be resolved soon.

28. fas3r_

fas3r_

Hello,

Im not sure if I do something wrong but when installing `com.unity.charactercontroller` and `com.unity.entities.graphics`, i'm getting the following error:

```
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.charactercontroller@1.0.0-exp.2\Unity.CharacterController\KinematicCharacterUtilities.cs(274,57): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PropagateLocalToWorld' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    ``

I'm using unity 2022.2.12f1

The following package been installed ( it's a fresh install but)

I also tried to reinstall the packages ( entities, physics ) manually ( without specifying any specific version ) but no luck

I also followed https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ter/_Documentation/Tutorial/tutorial-setup.md.

Thanks

edit: it seems that com.unity.charactercontroller does not work with com.unity.entities 1.0.0-pre.65.
    By using the same version than in the samples it seems to work,

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  29. bnmguy

bnmguy

Yes. It seems Unity broke packages by not waiting to update them all together. I'm not sure why. The latest Entities does in fact break their Character Controller package thanks to the sudden changes with Transforms (anyone know why this couldn't be just marked depreciated until a new solution was available??? Seems like something that could have been considered).

At any rate, I guess we wait for the CharacterController package to get its update, or make the changes manually.

30. Opeth001

Opeth001

Hello @philsa-unity

is there an update planned for the com.unity.charactercontroller package?
    it is actually not compatible with 1.0.0-pre.65 entities.

error :
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.charactercontroller@1.0.0-exp.2\Unity.CharacterController\KinematicCharacterUtilities.cs(274,57): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PropagateLocalToWorld' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

31. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

yup, an update is being prepared and should be ready very soon. The update will also fix issues raised by @UniqueCode in previous replies in the thread:
    - Characters now properly ignore collisions with other characters that have a non-collidable collider
    - Disabling the KinematicCharacterBody properly disables character interpolation

Heads up: this update will involve a breaking change, but it should be fairly quick to fix in your projects. Essentially, all characters must now have a "Collide" collision response instead of "Raise Trigger Events". And the default method to call for your character's "CanCollideWithHit" needs to be changed

I'll be posting back here once the update goes live

apkdev, Occuros, thelebaron and 2 others like this.
  32. fas3r_

fas3r_

Hello @philsa-unity , do you know when it will be available ( more or less ) .

Thank you.

33. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  34. bnmguy

bnmguy

35. Opeth001

Opeth001

amazing!!!
    i really like the package and everything is super clear btw!

could you please change the name of the CharacterInterpolation component to a more dynamic name such as "Interpolation" in the next release?
    the interpolation functionality you implemented can be reused on many contexts such as projectile movement... and I prefer to use your implementation instead of having to reimplement mine to work in addition to yours or having to use the CharacterInterpolation component on contexts that have nothing to do with the character itself.
    btw, you can also remove the interpolation feature from the package and add it to the samples.

Thanks again @philsa-unity

36. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

I think this might've worked prior to exp.4 (aside from the "character" name), but this latest release needs the interpolation job to check for an enabled character component.

I can see how this would be useful though. I'll give it some thought

Opeth001 likes this.
  37. Tigrian

Tigrian

After Installing havok package in a project with character controller inside, I get this error :

Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.charactercontroller@1.0.0-exp.4\Unity.CharacterController\DisableCharacterDynamicPairsSystem.cs(66,57): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IBodyPairsJob' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

38. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

Just noticed this issue as well; it happens when the Havok package is in the project. A quick temporary fix is to copy the character package locally and add Unity.Havok to the "Unity.CharacterController.asmdef" dependencies, but I'll be releasing a patch for this ASAP

Opeth001, Occuros and Tigrian like this.
  39. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

The 1.0.0-exp.5 update is live

This fixes the 'IBodyPairsJob' error when using Havok

Opeth001 and Tigrian like this.
  40. Occuros

Occuros

I just upgraded to the latest release, set the collider to collide, and the collisions work as expected, but trigger events aren't triggered anymore.

Is there any setting that needs to be enabled so that the Character collider will get detected by other physics objects with 'RaiseTriggerEvents` flags set?

41. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

If the other (non-character) collider is set to "RaiseTriggerEvents" and the collision filters of both colliders are setup to collide with each other, then the trigger events should happen. For example in the tutorial, jump pads are static physics bodies with a "RaiseTriggerEvents" collider, and the character is set to "Collide"

Or is it possible that your trigger in this case is a dynamic body? If so then that might explain it, and I should look into making that use case work as well

Occuros likes this.
  42. Occuros

Occuros

Yes, the trigger is a dynamic body, it has two colliders, one raises trigger events, and the second just collides.

It is used for a rocket that should only explode if the top collides with objects, the rest of the rocket should still physically correctly collide but should not trigger an explosion.

Thank you for looking into this to be added in the future.

43. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

I see. In your specific case, an alternative would be to check with a "OverlapSphere" or "SphereCast" or something similar in your rocket code rather than with a trigger

However it would surely be useful to make this work with triggers under dynamic bodies. I'll have to take a bit of time to find out the best way to do this

Occuros likes this.
  44. diakou

diakou

@philsa-unity Just curious question, if one were to try to create a PvP ARPG (top down) is it silly to reverse engineer towards that type of system through the first person sample? Unsure what the ideal starting steps would be!

45. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

For a Diablo-style ARPG, it would most likely be easier to use the third-person character as a starting point, and just make the camera rotation fixed. Although I'd assume these games would often use a navmesh-based character controller rather than one based on physics queries.

You can look at this page for a summary of what has to be done in order to network a character controller:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.charactercontroller@1.0/manual/networking.html

I totally get that it might be tempting to use the FPS sample as a starting point, but I think it would be more helpful in the long term to really go through every step of a netcode game setup and make sure you fully understand everything that's happening. Otherwise you might get stuck as soon as you'll want to add a new gameplay feature that should partake in prediction

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  46. filod

filod

this affect me as well, my use case is a Pickup Item (dynamic body) with a sphere trigger to check if character is picking it.

But i do agree OverlapSphere/XXX is a better approach to doing this

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  47. fas3r_

fas3r_

Hello @philsa-unity ,

in the tutorial, I notice that when we are on the "friction" structure and try to push the block, this one is not moving.

Nothing huge but I was not sure if it was on purpose or not.

48. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

Just tried this; I see the block moving, but just really slowly (it helps to push it near the edges rather than in the center)

I think this is just because the character velocity is very small while on the friction surface, and so it doesn't create much force when moving against the box. Try increasing your character's "Mass" to something like 10 and see if the box moves now

49. fas3r_

fas3r_

Hello @philsa-unity ,

Just a big thank you for the tutorial part on github, its very clear and helpful to understand what we are actually doing ..

I just have question .. its probably dumb but how would you make a stairs triggerable as one needs the Physic Shape with `Raise Trigger Events` to trigger the event and the other needs Physic Shape with `collide` to climb it .

thank you for your time.

50. bnmguy

bnmguy

I would create a separate game object with the trigger on it that handles the trigger event. This is what I use for opening doors, etc. The stairs can then just keep their regular colliders for colliding with the character. You could also handle the exit event using the same trigger object. It would need its own baker and ECS components depending on what your use case is, but that should be relatively straightforward. In my case, I use this along with the StatefulTriggerEventBufferAuthoring component in the CharacterController package.

The Teleporter & some others in the examples package can give you some good hints as well for how to implement this.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023