Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Experimental build and other builds.

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by castor76, Jan 9, 2017.

1. castor76

castor76

I am currently enjoying the 2D experimental build (version 3) but I would also like to experiment it with the other beta builds such as the ones with Facebook gamesroom build feature. 5.50f3 apprently does support this, but not the 2D experimental build.

Now, I can understand that the facebook build feature may came out after the 5.50x3-2D build, but is there any chance that we may get more updated / or included with other betas so that we can experiment them together?

I have force install build support of facebook from 5.5.0f3 but it doesn't appear to work.

Alternatively, how much of the current experimental features are in the other normal ( or different beta / current build ? ) I am asking this so if the other builds has enough 2d experimental feature supports such as tilemap then I want to switch to that build for the reason I have mentioned above.

For example does unity 5.6 beta has the current 2d experimental features such as tilemap etc?

Or is there any way to work around this and get the facebook build option in anyway?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

The 2D Experimental features are only available in this build - The 2D Experimental Build. Only when the features are ready for release will they be available in the beta builds. So some of the features in the current experimental will be in the 5.6 beta, because they're ready for release. The Tilemap feature is not ready yet so will not be in 5.6 betas.

So basically, features that ready for release will move towards the betas. Features still being developed will continue to be released only in the experimental builds.

As for the Facebook feature, you could be right as the feature was released after the experimental build. We have an updated experimental build coming up soon. I'll check if its in there.

3. castor76

castor76

That's great. as long as the updated experimental build contains facebook and it is coming pretty soon. I think it is a good idea to regularly update the experimental build based on the latest version of 5.5 or 5.6 and such even if there isn't any newer feature coming out for the experimental side.

I know that the experimental builds is meant for production but in order to fully test it, it is sometimes better to try and base it for the actual game production so that we can find out where the short fall or plus is in a real production situation. And it means sometimes we need to have the Unity build based on the latest non experimental build.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Some good and valid points.