Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Experimental 2D Lights and Shader Graph support in Universal RP (previously LWRP)

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by rustum, May 24, 2019.

1. cparki3

cparki3

Absolutely! Happy to provide any examples you think might be helpful. Attached is a screenshot of a side by side comparison of what I'm looking to achieve. I am adding a link to a zipped version of this example as well.

Basically, I have my shaders on the left where they are using the stencil buffer to write the splatter effects only on the platform. I have not been able to duplicate these on shader graph and LWRP so I can't get the lighting to cooperate with them. HOWEVER... this had be thinking that the lights are already set up to only apply to certain sorting layers. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a decal system that uses the same system as the lights so sprites only show on certain layers? (kind of what I'm doing on the right side of the screenshot but with lights) If not, any help getting access to the stencil buffer in shader graph would be awesome.

Link to project: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17EqdTPgJT9NXCRwAIWqpReMvcH97d6rL

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, I don't have an estimate at the moment.

If you did write a custom shader, there are a couple of obvious issues you would have to fix.

The first is that you would want a new shader that is for opaque objects (zwrite and ztest) as sprites are all transparent.

You may also need to make some changes to the lighting shader to properly support vertex normals. This would be a fairly simple change.

After that though I'm not sure what sort of issues you might have.

The other option you might have is Camera stacking. For each camera there should be a way to set the rendering settings you are using. However, I'm not entirely sure on the current state of camera stacking in Universal.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer at the moment. But if you do get something working, it would be great to hear what you did to get it to work. I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one interested in doing something like this.

Edit: Sorry just in case anyone else is interested, "you may also need to make some changes to the lighting shader" should actually be make changes to the normal rendering pass.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. Baste

Baste

Hey, no problem.

Camera stacking seems to be the best option for this. I wasn't aware that you could just slot a different renderer onto a camera, that's really neat.

So that works - I have a 2D Renderer on one camera and a Forward Renderer on another, and the first draws sprites with sprite lights and the second one draws 3D objects with 3D lights.

The only big problem is that "don't clear" isn't supported for LWRP, so I have to have the 3D camera draw to a render texture that's on a RawImage. I know that some Unity staff has written that it was intentional that not clearing wasn't supported, but I can't for the life of me remember what the reason was.

NotaNaN likes this.
  4. Elementa481

Elementa481

This package is wonderful and has such great potential!

I'm having a small issue where I'm attempting to create depth in my 2D project based on their y positions. I have achieved this through a combination of adding the Sorting Group component on game objects and setting Project Settings > Graphics > Camera Settings > Transparency Sort Mode to Custom Axis with a Transparency Sort Axis of (0,1,0) (although I found out that those settings have been hidden now, probably because of the rendering pipeline asset). I can still see my added 2d lights through objects that are "in front" of them. Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Attached Files:

5. cparki3

cparki3

What are the sorting layers of the objects you are trying to light? If the blue square is "foreground" and the red square "background" for example, you could change the settings on the light to only affect one or none of these layers and I think you would get the effect you are looking for. It's called the "Target Sorting Layers" option on your 2D light.

6. Elementa481

Elementa481

Right now all of their sorting layers are default. So say I got a bunch of the squares scattered around the world as obstacles, I would want the light affect or be affected (blocked) by the squares within that sorting layer.

7. _watcher_

_watcher_

First off, i have to say that i absolutely admire the Unity staff support in this forum. Absolutely wonderful you taking time to answer what seems to be every question.

Next, I am using ShaderGraph, and i cant seem to get alpha control to work on the SpriteLitMaster node using the Split->Combine trick. For details what i mean, with pictures, i posted this question already in ShaderGraph forum, as i assumed that the actual Split->Combine was a bad practice, but it seems the problem is with the SpriteLitMaster. It is also completely possible i forgot something basic, as my SG experience is minimal.

SG forum post here

What i do is take my Albedo (Color(4)), and before i input that into SpriteLitMaster's Color(4) input, i use the Split-Combine trick shown in the picture, to control Transparency "of all the pixels" that are input into SpriteLitMaster. However my Sprite stays completely opaque.

Any suggestions?

EDIT You can set alpha of the sprite via the Color dropdown inside your sprite renderer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  8. Brucemax

Brucemax

Hey! My FPS decreased by half (from 60 to 28) after I set this new LWRP Asset to project setting. Is it normal or how to fix this??! (Build for Android platform, Xiaomi A1 device)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  9. laurG

laurG

Hi! I wish to leave some feedback!

First off, love this feature! Will definitely help enhancing our 2D visuals.

As for the feedback, not sure if anyone else asked for this, but it's definitely something that needs to be implemented for this new 2D lights.

As far as I explored the feature, there is no way to integrate the lights with the Custom Axis sorting mode for sprites.

This is a must have for 2D isometric games.

Here's a screenshot from our game. As you can see the blue highlighted light works perfectly, but moving the same light behind a wall will make the light visible through the wall. In the screenshot there are 2 Sorting Layers - Ground and Floor 0 and the project uses a Custom Axis sorting mode for Y axis (0, 1, 0), that's standard for isometric 2D games.

Would be AMAZING if there would be a way to have the full functionality of the SpriteRenderer sorting feature for 2D lights as well. That is Sorting Layer, Sort Order and Custom Axis sorting.
    upload_2019-8-9_21-2-14.png

Thank you a lot and keep up the great work!

xtytyx likes this.
  10. Elementa481

Elementa481

I have the same issue as well and addressed it in post #154. Glad to know it's not just me.

11. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

I'm glad you are enjoying the feature, and we appreciate the feedback.

There is definitely some work left for isometric (and other like projection) games. However, at the moment I don't know when those issues will be addressed. We are interested in addressing them though.

As mentioned previously we will be shipping shadow this year. While shadows will likely not fix this kind of issue for all styles of games, its possible it might for you. If you have a chance to try it, definitely post again with your results. It would be great to hear either way on how this worked for you.

12. Baste

Baste

Do you have a rough outline for how you expect the shadows to work? What you want it to do, what you don't think it'll do, that sort of thing?

BTStone likes this.
  13. WonkyDonky

WonkyDonky

@Chris_Chu

Chance of atlasing support this year?

14. laurG

laurG

Awesome, @Chris_Chu!

Thanks for quick response and info.

Will definitely look forward to the shadow feature, since we're planning on adding shadows too. And if this might end up fixing this type of issue we have, that would be more than perfect!

15. xtytyx

xtytyx

Since the URP is open source, do the devs take pull requests from game devs if they implement a module? Because i feel that implementing a layering system that interacts with custom axis sorting would be an infinitely useful thing, and I might maybe be able to get something like that working!
    If I make progress is it worth contacting a dev about implementation or is that not likely to occur?

16. Sejuru

Sejuru

Hi, Im trying to work right now with the new 2D lights added to unity in this last version with the LWRP RP package and the Shader Graph package, I've created the 2D pipe renderer and used it in the project graphics settings. I can use the Lights perfectly in the scene view but they are not working in the main camera preview or game screen, just like it's shown in the picture, I'm also working with the new 2D Shader graph, the material of the bigpinkball has a 2D Renderer Sprite Lit Graph Shader. What can I do to make the lights work in game?

Attached Files:

17. Sejuru

Sejuru

Just fixed it, didn't noticed the Z value of the point lights, just changed it back to 0 and it works now

18. HiddenTess

HiddenTess

It's not just flipped sprites that are having problems with normal-map lighting. Rotated sprites in tilemaps are also doing this:

upload_2019-8-11_2-53-21.png

In the past, I've had to do some binormal hacking in my own shaders (using VFACE or SV_IsFrontFace) to avoid the inside-out normal map problem in back-facing sprites, but I wouldn't expect a sprite rotated around the Z axis to be back-facing.

BTStone and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  19. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

It would be great if we do allow community pull requests, but I will need to investigate further on this matter, before making a comment one way or another.

If I find out there are no problems doing so, we can chat about what you are interested in submitting.

There were known issues with Tilemaps, Sprite Shapes, and 2D Skinned Sprites using normals. Since we didn't have normal maps previously, these systems weren't submitting some of the necessary vertex information required. This has been fixed in URP for 19.3 (however tilemaps seemed broken in URP again last I looked).

xtytyx and Malkyne like this.
  20. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

This is an editor change and unfortunately we won't have enough time to submit it as a new feature for 20.1. We realize this is really important, and we will do our best to get it in when we can. I'm sorry I can't give you a more specific timeline about this.

Yes, we do, but I can only really tell you what I've done so far, which is that any number of lights can be shadow casting, but will have hard shadows (shadow volumes). At the moment the tooling is pretty limited.

That being said, it looks pretty good. I'll have to see if I can post some images.

NotaNaN, cparki3 and Baste like this.
  21. HiddenTess

HiddenTess

Heh, yeah, I've been fighting with this for a while. :D

Here's a related post I made back in 2017:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/spr...-tangenttoworldandpackeddata-on-flips.503753/

I made a shader with the old pipeline where it's mostly working, as long as I use inverted scale for all flips. This is the same tile in the old pipeline, with my own shader:

upload_2019-8-11_14-46-51.png

I wish this new 2D lighting system had come along sooner! If it were more mature, it would have been great for this game. I'll have to find an excuse to use it in a later project. ;)

DungDajHjep likes this.
  22. iiiiken

iiiiken

Nice work, thanks Unity team! Native 2D lighting is a great feature for Unity! Keep working on it, it gives a lot more perfomant results than lighting that uses 3D render pipelines. Im looking forward to use shadows feature when it will be published!

cparki3 likes this.
  23. SchnozzleCat

SchnozzleCat

I'm getting 1.6kb garbage per frame from (I assume) the 2D renderer. Is this intended, or is this "editor only" garbage? It seems like a lot.

simple421 likes this.
  24. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

Hey sorry, I haven't gotten back to you. I've checked out your project. I think ideally we would get the master node to support the stencil buffer as this may be something other people need for things that are not decal related. I can't say when this will be fixed though, as I haven't looked into what is involved in fixing this.

Having said that, its pretty trivial to convert the Sprite-Lit-Default shader to be compatible with how you've done your decals. Make two copies of of Sprite-Lit-Default (for the splatter and surface). Change the shader name. Then just copy the stencil properties and copy the stencil blocks into each of the passes, and that will get it working (a few minutes of work).

upload_2019-8-13_18-23-54.png

There are some visual issue because of lack of alpha cutoff, but you might be able to fix that with a tighter sprite mesh (or adding alpha cutoff to the shader)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    cparki3 likes this.
  25. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

The GC allocations is a known issue and will be fixed in a later release.

26. SchnozzleCat

SchnozzleCat

Awesome! I hope that also goes for Light2D.LateUpdate(), I missed that one in my quick check. Thanks!

27. cparki3

cparki3

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I'll try it out this weekend and if all goes well I can share here if anyone is looking for the same effect. :)

Chris_Chu likes this.
  28. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

That would be great. It should be straightforward to make the changes, but if you do have any issues don't hesitate to post them.

29. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

Hiya. It would be awesome if the Shader Graph Master Nodes exposed a vertex color input. Or if they had an option to turn off the use of vertex color. The color of sprites is a very useful property, and it would be really nice to be able to use it with shader graph. Right now there aren't many chances to use it in a different way than the traditional way because we can't control what the Master Nodes do with that information. If there was a vertex color input we could at least pass it white to stop the Master Node from doing it's own thing, or we could pass it any other color. An option to turn off the default use of vertex color could solve this too, I don't know if it would have any real performance impact, but it would be less user friendly, because we would have to do our own implementation of the current way vertex color works if we want it.

Thank you for every thing. I hope you have a very nice day.

30. cparki3

cparki3

Thanks so much for your help! I was able to get them working and as promised, here are the completed shaders. Really appreciate the assist :)

I'm also attaching a quick screenshot that shows the splatters working correctly. If anyone is curious on how to use I believe they currently work without modification but you can manipulate the read and write mask to determine how splatters show on a surface. The platform in the screenshot has the "surface" shader applied and the colorful paint marks use the "splatter" shader. And all of them play nicely with the new lighting system now!

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

Lewichiob, yuanxing_cai and Chris_Chu like this.
  31. Driven

Driven

2 quick questions:

Is it somehow possible in shadergrapgh (sprite lit) with 2D Renderer to have a node which adds pure white color on top of the sprite which is not affected by nearby 2D lights color for like a "getting hit" effect?

And second if there is no global 2d light in the scene, everything not hit by 2d lights is pure black, is there a way to toggle this like with normal lights in the editor by clicking the light bulb in the scene view?

32. CircadianCity

CircadianCity

How would one add renderer features to 2D renderer ? As in
    for example.

Actually what I'd like to do is to alter the computed light texture and dither it. We are working on a pixel-art game and currently 2d lights are too "smooth" and we want to pixelize the lighting. Now I could go around and edit Light2D-Point.shader or Light2D-Shape.shader (and related c# scripts). But what I'm wondering is, is there a way to customize rendering without modifying the S.R.P. source code ?

33. Coffein

Coffein

I would also be interested in this

OFG and CircadianCity like this.
  34. OFG

OFG

Pls i wonder to do this too.

35. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

Right now there isn't a way to do what you want to do. However, I've noted your post, and its something we will look into.

36. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

I'm really sorry I've taken so long to get back to you on this. I've talked to our legal department, and they did tell me we have the Unity Contribution Agreement https://unity3d.com/legal/licenses/Unity_Contribution_Agreement

However, this doesn't really cover what happens if the contributor's code has been plagiarized from open/closed source. If that code is the foundation for a feature we have to consider what happens to users projects if we have to disable that code and what happens to those users projects that ship with that code?

I think for bug fixes, or simple changes, we should be able to accept pull requests (assuming the PR is something we approve). But unfortunately, at least at the moment, I don't think we can take large code changes at least not as part of SRP.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    xtytyx likes this.
  37. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

I have 2 issues that are concerning me, hoping they get ironed out.

1st issue is a simple one that others I think have stated and that is the lack of setting the sorting axis in the editor when using the LWRP. The option disappears once you add the pipline. Its an easy work around to set it in code but is convenient to have in the editor.

2nd issue has to do with 360 degree point lights. They have a line at the bottom that shows up. @AndriiM had pointed it out a few months back here. They also stated it was fixed in the beta.

When I start the game all the lights look fine. Once I start moving the camera/player around the line at the bottom flickers on and off. When I stop moving the camera/player the lines may or may not be visible. There is a light attached to the camera/player and the line doesn't show up at all on that.

I tried to use the pixel perfect camera and it solves the problem with the stationary lights in the scene but it now shows up on the one attached to the camera/player.

I have tried 2019.2.0, 2019.2.2 and 2019.3.0.

38. Baste

Baste

Oh right, forgot all about that. We were also seeing the 360 degree lights having a single-pixel line. It's dependent on the light's screen position, but it's completely reproducible.

39. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

I also found that if the light isn't on a pixel position it can cause the 1 pixel line.

Another problem I've run into with 2019.3 is that the alpha blend on overlap causes the light to black out everything when lowering the intensity. Even with a global light source it appears as a black circle. Take off alpha blend and it works but isn't the effect I am looking for.

40. Enixus

Enixus

Workaround: I discovered, that this line disappears, if you rotate the transform of the light, so its != 0.

41. Driven

Driven

Rotating does not help for me

42. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Hey guys! I don't know if this can be achieved at all without custom shaders, but how do I make unlit SpriteRenderers to fade into Camera's background color instead of pure black? You can see on the picture that I still can see those circles, where I would like them to blend with the environment.
    upload_2019-8-26_21-50-44.png

43. Driven

Driven

@Chris_Chu is it normal that my 2d project in 2019.2.2 with 2d Renderer and frame pacing enabled runs extremely slow with Vulkan and gles3 on the top of the API list? I tied on a xiaomi redmi 5 and get only 18 fps, switching to gles2 on the top increases fps dramaticly.

44. stephanedupont

stephanedupont

It seems that unlike Post-Processing V2, integrated URP post-processing is not working for the experimental 2D renderer?

simple421 and EvOne like this.
  45. dquek

dquek

Unity Technologies

Are you referring to the point light?

We're taking a look at this issue right now:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ash-2drenderer-lighting-gap-in-2d-point-light

In the meantime, you can try the Parametric Light instead if you need a 360 shaped light.

Baste likes this.
  46. MOOVpl

MOOVpl

Hi !

Is any way to use 2D Renderer along with VFX Graph ? Because right now it seems blank. I know its possible to use Shuriken Particles with proper material, but is it possible to do it with VFX Graph?

47. kiupecharlie

kiupecharlie

Hi everyone,

2D lights features seems awesome, i’m starting experimenting with it at the moment.

I’m a 2D artist who’s working on a 2D game, with a cartoon lighting effect, with sharp shadows (currently the lighting effect is achieved via a custom shader in shadergraph, in unity 2018.3.9) :

Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 14.13.13.png

Is there any chances that, in a near future, we could obtain a similar kind of render with the 2D lighting tools ?

foxnne, Mindjar and EvOne like this.
  48. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

This is something we have seen in our profiling and it is being investigated. We will be doing lighting performance improvements soon, which should improve performance across platforms.

This got broken, and integrated post-processing will be working in the next version of Universal RP.

We have planning done for at least the next six months. As this doesn't really fit with the type of work we are planning its unlikely this will get done for at least six months.

However, this is a good idea. I'll have to look into this. For the work you did, is it done either sprites/quads with normal maps?

49. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

I'll look into this and get back to you. I think this is something we should support if we can.

50. kiupecharlie

kiupecharlie

This is full sprites renderers, with a custom shader that use normal maps for each sprites. The light is fully simulated in the shader and output in the albedo channel with the texture. This is limiting at some point, because it bypass the lighting ecosystem :)