Search Unity

Question Experiencing an odd terrain clipping in Valheim on Linux

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by pipo18, Mar 21, 2021.

1. pipo18

pipo18

Hello, I'd like to know if the following experience might result from a bad configuration of Unity on my system, or rather if it is likely to be an issue with the game itself (or with its version for Linux).

I registered on unity.com only because although the game Valheim is still under development, I'm apparently alone to report what I call a terrain clipping.

Description:

At places, the solid, textured ground is overlapped by a weird black (or non textured) soil in which buildings, character and dropped items sink down until they reach solid ground beneath.
    I'm no graphical artist nor modder, but this looks exactly like when some obstacle or terrain element is missing a proper solid surface in all the games where I stumbled on this, whatever the engine. The difference here is that the faulty element appears to be added over another solid element (i.e. if it were removed, a new, fine terrain would stand beneath), and the character is not allowed to wander further through the world, anyway.
    The clipping always occurs around/inside added buildings, sometimes at sea level by the shores, and sometimes in plain wilderness, as on the screenshots.
    On screenshot 1, character is sitting on a solid, textured terrain surface, just beneath the passed-through, black surface. You can see how rocks and trees emerge from this surface. Should the character stands, he would emerge from it as well.
    There are other places (many places indeed) in game where the terrain appears like this black surface, except that it is solid.
    So, any idea of what I am looking for, in order to have this game running fine on my system (on my end), or to help devs optimizing their game on systems like mine?

The game requires GeForce GTX 500 and Direct 11.

System:

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9550

4 GiBi RAM
    RV790 [Radeon HD 4890]
    Linux 64 bits (Mageia 6)
    OpenGL
    Code (csharp):
    1. OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    2. OpenGL renderer string: AMD RV770 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.145-desktop-2.mga6, LLVM 3.9.1)
    3. OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.9
    4. OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
    5. OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    6. OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    7. OpenGL core profile extensions:
    8. OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.9
    9. OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    10. OpenGL context flags: (none)
    11. OpenGL extensions:
    12. OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 17.3.9
    13. OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
    14. OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    Steam OS up to date.
    Valheim launched with -force-glcore.
    All in-game graphical options turned on, except VSync.

Attached Files:

2. Erfan_SheikhHoseini

Erfan_SheikhHoseini

i think the better move is to contact developers and report to them. there can be so many reasons such thing can happen and the developers know more about it.

3. pipo18

pipo18

Thank you for the answer. In the meanwhile, I read that my graphic card is not compatible with DirectX 11, and that black surfaces (non "textured" water and ground surfaces) would be caused by a lack of Shader Model 5.0.

Based on this page: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-ShaderCompileTargets.html
    what question should I best ask the developers? What #pragma target are they running the engine with?

4. bgolus

bgolus

Unity officially dropped support for GPUs that don’t support DirectX 11, though still optionally support as far back as OpenGL 3.2. The problem is most devs aren’t going to have access to GPUs that are that old to test against, so it’s unlikely they tested it on anything but DirectX 11 capable GPUs, since that’s any GPU from the last 10 years.

But also, this is absolutely the wrong place to ask questions about Velheim. They have their own official forum. Go there.