Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Experiences with upgrading to Tilemap Editor Package in 2019.2

Discussion in '2D' started by ChuanXin, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Were there any issues when upgrading from your previous Unity project?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Hi, in the recent 2019.2 beta, we have moved the Tile Palette and its related Editor Tooling features to a Unity package in Package Manager. This resulted in some changes which would affect upgrading existing Tilemap projects, for example: changes in the namespace from UnityEditor to UnityEditor.Tilemaps and the addition of a “Unity.2D.Tilemap.Editor” Assembly Definition.

If you have tried out the Tilemap Editor package in 2019.2, were there any issues when upgrading from your previous Unity project? If there were major issues, could you post them here?

Thanks!

2. ShervinM

ShervinM

The changelog for 2019.2.0 mentions:
    2D: Users can now convert Prefabs to Tile Palettes by dragging a valid Prefab onto the Tile Palette window.

I havent been able to make this work. Can gameobject prefabs be dragged in?

3. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Currently, the GameObject prefabs that are dragged in should have a Grid and Tilemap Component for this to work.

Could you describe the GameObject prefabs that you want to show up on the Tile Palette?

4. ShervinM

ShervinM

Ah I suppose I misunderstood the purpose of this feature. I thought that this meant that we can finally drag any prefab and make it into a tile (i.e. paint with prefabs and not sprites).

Will this be supported in the near feature?

5. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

There will be an update for the Tile Palette in the future so that you can place GameObjects and Instanced Prefabs on the Tile Palette. These will not be converted to Tiles on the Tile Palette. Handling of these GameObjects will require the use of the Prefab/GameObject Brush from 2d extras instead of the default Brush.

The requirement of the dragging of GameObject Prefabs will still require a minimum of a Grid component (without the Tilemap component).

6. ShervinM

ShervinM

Ah I see, I think I've got it now:

So currently, you can drag GameObject prefabs that have a Grid and Tilemap component into the palette, so that you can "paint" directly onto those prefabs (instead of drawing to a tilemap in the scene hierarchy).

But as of right now, theres no way to have GameObjects as a tile itself in your palette that you can select and paint with. I have to use the Prefab Brush from 2d extras as it is for now?

In the future update, you mention that we will be able to place GameObjects and Instanced Prefabs in the palette, but still need to use the GameObject brush. Will the brush automatically update its reference to the gameobject you have selected in the palette?

Currently my problem with the 2d Extras prefab brush is that its so cumbersome to paint various prefabs. Either I have to create an entirely new brush for each prefab i want to paint, or i have to keep dragging in a new reference :(

7. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Technically, it is possible to have a Tile with a GameObject set in it and place that Tile in the Tile Palette. The GameObject property is hidden in the Inspector for the Tile, but can be exposed through scripting or if the inspector is set in the Debug mode.

Yes, using the Pick tool, the GameObject brush will pick the GameObjects in the selection in the Tile Palette and you will be able to paint with these GameObjects.

The update in the future to the TilePalette with the GameObject brush will help with this!

ShervinM likes this.
  8. TextusGames

TextusGames

Do the dragging of these GameObjects and Prefab Instances inside tile pallet area of tile pallets window require this objects to have a Grid component?

This seems illogical to me. Becouse those objects will not be treated as tilemaps iNstead they will be placed at tilemaps.

Because you said right after above quote.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  9. hlw

hlw

I guess that you might want to create a grid, populate it with one or multiple gameObjects as childs, drag and drop it in the tile palette, and by doing so, creating a palette populated with the gameObjects that were the childs of that grid, that will be ordered in that palette the same way they were in the grid prefab. (Not sure I understood that correctly, but that seems to be a pretty nice workflow to me)