Search Unity

Expected Performances

Discussion in 'PSM' started by KaosKlown, Apr 15, 2014.

1. KaosKlown

KaosKlown

Hi everyone !

I received my publisher licence today so I started deploying my current projects on my vita.
    Surprisingly, performances are not that impressive... I get a more stable frame rate from my 2012 Nexus 7 event though it houses a Tegra3 and has a higher resolution.
    I also can't seem to get stencils to work properly, although they didn't work on the Nexus either (They work on my Windows Phone though).

I'm still excited about the gameplay possibilities (physical joysticks, finally !), and the OLED screen !

Did you encounter performance issues ? Are there things we should avoid performance wise on the vita ?

$WP_20140415_001.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Performance on my vita has been far better than my iPhone and Android tablet :D 100 fps+
    I guess because its still fairly new theres bugs and performance optimisations the Unity-Vita engine needs.
    But yeh, the vitas performance is way better than i expected, i've had a hard time trying to make it lag, maxing out lights, shadows and environmental objects. These are 3D games too. 8) So maybe theres something running on your game the vita doesn't like? causing performance issues
    Disillusions Manga Horror
    Raptors Online

3. KaosKlown

KaosKlown

Yeah performance should be better than a Tegra3 at least ^^ !
    I agree with you, I must be doing something the vita doesn't like.
    I read in another thread that fixed function shaders must be avoided. Usually I don't use them but maybe I have some particles still using them.
    Does anybody know of some of those "things" to avoid ?

4. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Theres one level on my game which is running at 5fps - turning on lights and shadows makes it run at 60 fps
    Haha yeh.. no idea whats going on… but I'm sure it consists of many hours of fun debugging :D

5. KaosKlown

KaosKlown

Okay now that's a strange one ^^ !
    I have a sample where I implemented shadow volumes just for the sport ^^.
    The scene has 4 lamps lighting 10 moving objects and a cube encapsulating the whole scene. All objects have shadow volumes computed in a vertex shader.
    I get 10 to 13 fps on my windows phone and 15 to 17 fps on my nexus 7, but 60 fps solid on vita ^^ ! The shadows are incorrect (Stencil support not yet implemented ?) but the performances are impressive.
    I'll investigate why my current project's scene has such poor performances on my vita and post the "tips and tricks" I find, here as soon as I have some.

6. sama-van

sama-van

100% agree on this one

7. Maku

Maku

Personnally, the framerate is less better than the same build on Android (running on Xperia Z), but my biggest problem on Vita are the freezes each time a 3D object is recycled.

8. PeterD

PeterD

Check your shaders. I'll put a penny to a pound that one or more of them is failing and causing the slowdown.

9. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I'm sure a lot of these Vita problems will be fixed next unity-vita update, along with performance boosts.
    So those saying performance isn't great.. its not that the vitas hardware is poor, it's just new, even unity PC, Mac, web player, android and iOS are still getting improvements and fixes.
    Yes it's not console or high end gaming machine games capable, but its running some of my 3D active scenes at 150fps, even my Mac that I'm using to make the games on can't run it like that.
    You've just got to figure out what shaders, code, models, texture compressions etc thats best for vita, until the improvements, fixes and more information come out about it.

Just trying to stick up for the little guy haha :p

10. Mementos

Mementos

Got my Game running on the Vita, after i figured out some do´s&dont´s (shaders for example), the game is now running equally, if not better on my Vita than on my XperiaZ or my iPad4 (didnt tested my ipad air yet) =) Verry impressiv.

11. KoldGames

KoldGames

Would you mind sharing some of those Do's Don'ts? :)

12. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I'd love to take a look a specific cases of bad performance - if you can/want to share your project just attach it a bug report (the Help menu -> Report a Bug).

But also - please have a look at the console output from your game (PsmDeviceForUnity.exe -get_log <ID> - PsmDeviceForUnity is installed with the PSM ToolSet : C:\Program Files (x86)\SCE\UnityForPSM\tools\PsmDevice).
    There might be some hints in the output on what is causing the bad performance.

It's always hard to compare performance between different architectures (different devices have different strengths/weaknesses) but as some kind of general rule of thumb performance should be somewhere between Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3 for the CPU side - probably a bit more like a Nexus 4 or so for the GPU side. (but that is a bit "handwavy", and I'm sure there are examples/corner cases where this isn't at all true).

Thanks.