Search Unity

Expanse Volumetric Sky, Clouds, and Atmospheres: Released TODAY!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by three-ms-creative, May 5, 2021.

1. three-ms-creative

three-ms-creative

Hey everyone! Just released my volumetric atmosphere asset Expanse for HDRP on the asset store today! It's been 8 or so months in the making, and I'm super excited to share this with the community.

Here's the link on the asset store: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/192456
    And here's the link to Expanse's documentation: https://bguesman.github.io/docsify-test/#/
    If you're interested in Expanse, please join our Discord! https://discord.gg/F3VQ2vJy9p

Expanse is a state of the art volumetrics tool for HDRP that gives you the power to author beautiful skies, clouds, and fog banks. In as little as 15 minutes, you can create a beautiful, dynamic backdrop for your digital experience.

The rendering and authoring strategies that Expanse uses are based on the most recent production-focused papers coming out of conferences like SIGGRAPH and EGSR. Every component of Expanse is physically-based, allowing for unprecendented realism and consistency across different lighting conditions.

Expanse is a fully dynamic system that can be adjusted in realtime, with no precomputed lookups that slow down the authoring process. Things like cloud coverage and fog density can easily be animated with keyframes or scripted to create different weather scenarios. All the changes you make are visible in the editor, so you can tweak your sky without ever having to enter play mode.

Expanse is also performance-optimized for realtime applications. You can pick and choose between a number of quality/performance tradeoffs to optimize your sky to hit your frame time requirements. For reference, on a last-gen 2080 Ti, Expanse can render an entire sky at high quality, with volumetric atmosphere, clouds, and fog, illuminated by both the sun and moon in under 1ms.

If you need to make modifications to Expanse, no problem---you'll receive all C# scripts and shaders uncompiled when you purchase Expanse. If you create a cool feature or fix a bug, let me know at three.ms.creative@gmail.com and maybe I'll work it into the next release!

I've decided to release Expanse in beta, so that we can work out the bugs together as a community (and also because I'm an independent developer with no QA team!). Because of this, I'm temporarily listing it at half price.

cecarlsen, one_one and firstuser like this.
  2. keeponshading

keeponshading

Unity 2020.3.11 HDRP 10.5.0

Hi,

nice job.

There a 2 misisng script in the SunLight and MoonLight prefab. (screesnhots attached)
    Could yo give some information what scripts there should be attached.

1.jpg

2.JPG

RyuMT likes this.
  3. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Hi @unity_C903CD9611A3F057BDC5 (perhaps consider another name =p) I just got your asset and it looks great! However I get a bunch of warnings when I import it. Is this something you will fix in the next update?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader warning in 'AtmosphereRenderer': 'PUNCTUAL_FILTER_ALGORITHM': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at <XXX>/atmosphere/Atmosphere.hlsl:6. at <XXX>/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.0/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl(26)
    3. Shader warning in 'AtmosphereRenderer': 'DIRECTIONAL_FILTER_ALGORITHM': macro redefinition. Previous <XXX>/Assets/Plugins/Expanse/code/source/atmosphere/Atmosphere.hlsl:9. at kernel SCREENSPACE at <XXX>/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.0/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl(27)
    5. Shader warning in 'CloudRenderer(Clone)': pow(f, e) will not work for negative f, use abs(f) or conditionally handle negative values if you expect them at kernel FULLSCREEN at <XXX>/Assets/Plugins/Expanse/code/source/clouds/Clouds.hlsl(157) (on d3d11)
    7. Shader warning in 'CloudRenderer(Clone)': 'PUNCTUAL_FILTER_ALGORITHM': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at <XXX>/Assets/Plugins/Expanse/code/source/atmosphere/Atmosphere.hlsl:6. at kernel FULLSCREEN at <XXX>/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.0/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl(26)
    9. Shader warning in 'CloudCompositor(Clone)': 'DIRECTIONAL_FILTER_ALGORITHM': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at <XXX>/Assets/Plugins/Expanse/code/source/atmosphere/Atmosphere.hlsl:9. at <XXX>/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.0/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl(27)
    11. Shader warning in 'DirectLightRenderer': 'PUNCTUAL_FILTER_ALGORITHM': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at <XXX>/Assets/Plugins/Expanse/code/source/atmosphere/Atmosphere.hlsl:6. at kernel DIRECTLIGHT at <XXX>/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.0/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl(26)
    13. Shader warning in 'DirectLightRenderer': 'DIRECTIONAL_FILTER_ALGORITHM': macro redefinition. Previous definition found at <XXX>/Assets/Plugins/Expanse/code/source/atmosphere/Atmosphere.hlsl:9. at <XXX>/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.0/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl(27)
    Also, There is a ComputeBuffer not being released:

Code (CSharp):
    1. GarbageCollector disposing of ComputeBuffer allocated in <XXX>\Assets\Plugins\Expanse\code\source\common\interfaces\IRenderer.cs at line 265. Please use ComputeBuffer.Release() or .Dispose() to manually release the buffer.
    2. UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer:Finalize ()

4. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Bump. I wish I could just fix these warning myself. But they reside inside the HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl file which seems to be autogenereted. Whatever changes I make to the file is reset after assembly reload.

Please fix the warnings.

5. PutridEx

PutridEx

Discord is much more active and the author is very responsive, thread isn't really used much.
    I think there's an invite in the asset page.

cecarlsen likes this.