Search Unity

Resolved Existing unanswered questions

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by SniperED007, Aug 26, 2022.

1. SniperED007

SniperED007

It's great that you are asking for new questions, but what about also tackling all the existing forum questions / suggestions / bugs that have gone unanswered over the last few months?

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @SniperED007,

Thanks for the question!

The idea behind today's event is to give all participants a guarantee to get replies from our devs. While many Unity folks are participating in the forum on a regular basis, it's primarily a community space and as such community driven. If we start to run out of questions at some point today, we'll have a look at other topics in the UI forums.

Bugs in general should be reported via the bug reporter so they go through our QA process and come with necessary contextual information such as log files. Posting about a bug in the forum can be a good way to get input from others on issues you're encountering but it's not a replacement for a bug report.

karl_jones likes this.
  3. Gamadrila

Gamadrila

4. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Thanks for flagging! I shared with the group.

I see that you posted in the Editor & General Support forum, when possible it's always best to post in a specific forum. That'll increase your odds of the team seeing it. :)

5. Gamadrila

Gamadrila

Well then, I'll take this opportunity and say as a developer to a developer. The interface in the new version has become worse, I have a small monitor and a shortage of workspace. And you removed the tools from above and left a lot of empty space, and stuffed it into a small work area. Logically it is correct, but it became not convenient.

6. weiwei-at-unity

weiwei-at-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Gamadrila, sorry to hear that the interface is less convenient for you with the new updates. Can you expand on what you mean by the Editor interface becoming worse? Which version are you referring to?

Can you elaborate on which tools were moved into a less convenient place? Do you mean when the App Toolbar tools were moved into the Scene View?

7. Gamadrila

Gamadrila

42.png
    That's how it was. Unity version 2020.3.34f1.
    43.png
    Now like this. Unity version 2021.3.6f1.

The tools were moved to an inconvenient place. They got smaller.

8. SniperED007

SniperED007

Right click and hide those tools, and just use the hotkeys on your keyboard. (W - move / E - rotate / S - scale)

9. michaelvdp

michaelvdp

I'm pretty sure you can just drag and drop that component to Dock it.

10. Gamadrila

Gamadrila

Developers are trying to make the interface better, but people just don't use it. But I'm not one of those. I use, but do not use hotkeys.

Now I can’t do anything with it, because I rolled back to the old version of Unity and it suits me with everything. Instruments cannot be moved further than the stage, I tried to put them in their place.

11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Gamadrila! Moving the tools was part of my Scene Tooling work. I've made a post or two about this, long story short though ... scene tools in the header was a serious problem and had to go, although I 100% understand the confusion/frustration. We had plenty of discussion about making an option for advanced folks to change that, but the planned "contextual, consistent workflows" simply falls apart if we don't hold tight on this one. I do apologize that planned work is coming along slower than we'd hoped - so many of these little steps will become clearly useful as the others also land. The new Spline system makes almost full use of the contextual scene tooling system, and is a really good example of this, have you been able to try that feature?

Last thought ... this is good reason to make an updated public demo/video of where this is all going, why, and "when" (as best we can expect). Thanks, hope this helps some!

Gamadrila likes this.
  12. Gamadrila

Gamadrila

@gabrielw_unity, then do what you must. We'll get used to this design over time.
    Spline in 3DS Max is a modeling of segments and points. I haven't seen this in Unity. But I have an old version and I'm sitting on it because of the bug I described above. They also wrote above that the bug was fixed, but I'll skip a couple of versions.
    For the past few months, I have not been doing modeling, but only programming. In Unity, I only set up models and created primitives to test my scripts, I did not model anything. In 3DS Max, I drew with splines, since I have less Photoshop skills and created 3D models.
    If by "Spline System" you mean modeling like in 3d editors, then I don't know how to use it in Unity.

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  13. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

@Gamadrila Thanks for the understanding! More than just getting used to it, I really think (as it all comes together) you'll love it :)

Regarding Splines, yes, it's very similar to how you build/edit splines in 3ds max (hello, fellow max user!).
    1. Activate the "draw new spline tool"
    2. Click to place points (or drag to set tangents)
    3. Use the move/rotate/scale tools on the points and their tangents.

Splines is a package you can install via the Package Manager. I believe 1.x version is public now, 2.x version is already very close to ready, with artist-focused improvements.

14. Gamadrila

Gamadrila

In my region there is such a joke - "just let me know where to find them."
    For example, I can't even find just a person who can draw. And here is a plus to his skills, the ability to work with Unity and splines.

Now, if you draw a spline in Unity, then where to apply it next? And how is it better than working in a 3d / 2d editor, and then transferring it to Unity? There are more functions.