Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

exe crash after UCB with TMP 1.4.1 (Unity 2018.4 LTS)

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Brogan89, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Brogan89

Brogan89

After an update to TextMeshPro 1.4.1 on Unity 2018.4 LTS the exe file that UCB creates is corrupt and will just crash the game even before the stock Unity splash screen.
    I noticed this on my own project so I created a fresh project to narrow down what could be causing it, this is when I discovered it is TMP so I used that project to file the bug report.

Local builds are working fine, but for some reason the UCB is borked.

Crash report is blaming
    Bug report 1168142

Here is link for exe for proof of crash https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/share/share.html?shareId=ZkX2k2c0aE

2. Brogan89

Brogan89

I have just tried the same process with Unity 2019 and TMP 2.0.1 (2019 verified) and the exe still crashes. I am so confused.

3. cdytoby

cdytoby

OMG TextMeshPro is the cause? I have almost the same issue and I still can't pin point the cause. For me it doesn't just affect Windows, it affect Android build too.

This is seriously critical.

4. jeremytm

jeremytm

Agreed, TMP is a core part of Unity, and so is UCB. The fact that we can't take advantage of cloud builds with an LTS version of Unity is a serious issue.

As a team which pays for multiple pro seats, we would expect this to be fixed with the highest priority.

5. Brogan89

Brogan89

6. cdytoby

cdytoby

Anybody has a workaround?

I can already confirm that change compile symbols won't work, besauce that's one of our main process in CB.

For resync assembly mentioned in the other post, I don't know how to do it, refresh asset is done but it seems not working. And I don't know other ways to recompile the scripts or re sync the assembly.

BTW, I also noticed that, compare to Unity 2017 LTS, Unity 2018's CB process is different, and it seems change compile symbols won't affect those Editor scripts, only runtime scripts are affected. I have another post created but there are no reply so far.

I just downgraded TMP to 1.4.0 and reimported those font assets, but I'm not very positive that this could do the trick.

One question: @Brogan89 , you said you "update to TextMeshPro 1.4.1 on Unity 2018.4 LTS", which version were you using previously? Will downgrade the package help?

7. cdytoby

cdytoby

I'm so relieved to find out that, downgrade TMP to 1.3.0 works, for both Android and Windows, no more crash at the beginning of the app.

OK, to all the peoples here: if you want to downgrade TMP, remember, text assets must be reimported by clicking "Update Atlas Texture". because some Render Mode doesn't exist in old version.

Brogan89 likes this.
  8. Brogan89

Brogan89

Yes I did try reverting back to 1.3.0 but it did cause alignment issues with majority of our text, most of them reset to top-left where most of our text is positioned middle-center. We have a lot of text in our project too so it would take a long time to fix all that. We tried reimporting assets etc but still couldn't get it back to how it was.

9. cdytoby

cdytoby

Yes I noticed that, I don't have too many text components on my side so it's still ok for me to do so.

Good luck.

10. Brogan89

Brogan89