Search Unity

Exclusive fullscreen as a option for game developers

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ShawnK123, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ShawnK123

ShawnK123

Several newer games on Steam were created using Unity. My only issue with these games is the lack of exclusive fullscreen option. G-sync does not work in borderless window with Unity. I had the developer add the option for -force-d3d9 in his re-released test build (NeonXSZ).

After starting the game in exclusive fullscreen G-sync now works and gameplay is super smooth.

To the Unity developers, can you please add exclusive fullscreen as a option for game developers?

Thank you, Shawn Kay

2. V4nKw15h

V4nKw15h

If anyone is interested in doing this it's a fairly simple fix. Go to Edit/Project Settings/Player and change D3D9 Fullscreen Mode to Exclusive mode. Then the user can use the '-force d3d9' command line to run in exclusive full screen mode.

I've run into no problems having done this, and at least those with G-sync monitors have the option. Without this enabled Gysnc users get terribly choppy performance and it can halve frame rates for them.

It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than nothing.

3. ShawnK123

ShawnK123

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know the option to add this is so simple.

I now feel a lot more confident I can convince game developers to implement this being that it's so easy.

I still wish Unity would make exclusive fullscreen a option in game by default. It's amazing how many game developers are simply unaware of the option or how drastically it effects performance.

I think due to the simplistic nature of Unity a lot of game developers focus their time and effort into creating the game itself and expect Unity to deliver on the performance side or be optimized for all users. That's why I'm so committed to having Unity make this default.

What would be the best way to contact the Unity developers to suggest this?

4. TomasJ

TomasJ

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

Patch 5.3.3p2
    Windows: Added a new command line argument for standalone builds: window-mode. Options: borderless, exclusive. It lets users override the default fullscreen window behavior.

Pass -window-mode=exclusive and enjoy adaptive-sync on any Unity game built on 5.3.4.

Disclaimer: fixes for deadlocks in DX11 code when alt-tabing in exclusive mode are coming in 5.3.4 patch release 2. Stick to DX9 for now.

More disclaimer: the reason developers opt-out of exclusive mode is because it used to have bugs (all known ones fixed in 5.3.4 patch release 2) and Unity was defaulted to borderless mode.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    fffMalzbier likes this.
  5. Alloc

Alloc

Hi Tomas,

Is it really "-window-mode=exclusive" and not "-window-mode exclusive" (i.e. without the equals)? With the equals sign it would be different than all the other command line options from Unity, that's why I'm confused here ;)
    (Also hard to test as I don't know what to look for to notice if it runs in exclusive mode on my system)

Btw, I suppose the documentation should be updated to reflect this too.

Regards,
    Chris

6. Alloc

Alloc

Thanks for fixing the documentation (whoever it was :) ). Would suggest going through all supported switches of the engine again and see if they are in the doc. For example I definitely see -force-opengl as missing ;)