Search Unity

Excluding an object from the Bloom post effect

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by CaptJim, Aug 27, 2018.

1. CaptJim

CaptJim

I know that the bloom effect is a screen effect and arbitrarily effects everything on screen. However, I really need to find a solution to how I can exclude an object from it?

I've seen posts which mention using 2 cameras and using layers and culling masks. Unfortunately none of them go into detail and I can't see how this would work for two reasons.
    Firstly, how are 2 cameras 'shown' at runtime? AFAIK, when Play is pressed Unity just uses the main camera in the scene.
    Secondly, an object can only be applied to one layer. And since I'm already using a layer to prevent lights from affect some objects I can't also exclude it from something else.

Can anyone explain to me if I'm misunderstanding something here? Or an alternative solution?

A quick overview of why I need to achieve this. I'm using bloom, but it's not a one setting fits all. Some objects get totally blown out from it at one setting, while others are hardly affected. Specifically a vehicle canopy highlight, which is getting overblown, even at minimal settings.Surely I can exclude this canopy from the effect somehow?

Any help greatly appreciated.