Search Unity

Feedback Exclude textures from the "Select Texture" window

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Peter77, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

We have various test and editor-only assets in our project, which I would like to exclude from the "Select Texture" window for example.

It seems Unity displays all textures found in the project in its Select Texture window. Even textures we use for Gizmo's for example, which are located in an Editor folder.

This causes issues every now and then, when someone assigns an asset that is meant to be used in the editor only for example. Thus, I would like to hide those assets from that window and force users to drag&drop these assets instead. Basically to make it very obvious, where those assets are coming from, such as from an editor folder. I toyed around with the texture hideFlags, but this doesn't seem to affect whether they're displayed in the "Select Texture" dialog.

Please implement functionality to mark assets so they are not showing up in Unity' Select Texture window or any asset selection dialog basically. In my case, I only want to support drag&drop operations.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Marc-Saubion likes this.
  2. Tallek

Tallek

Did you ever find a solution to this?

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Nope, I didn't find a solution to this. I've changed the thread title and marked it as "Feedback" for Unity Technologies.

4. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

@Peter77 Great feedback, adding it to our feedback backlog for editor workflow fixes. Would you want to see some kind of ruleset perhaps at a folder level too to say exclude these? where would you want to administer your exclusions at scale?

Peter77 likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I like the idea you wrote here, to use Unity's label system to mark assets that should be ignored or hidden in the select dialogs. If I add an "Ignore" label on a folder, I would assume that every asset under this folder is then ignored too.

This would make it easy to exclude assets from the select dialog and is easy to grasp as well.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  6. Milanis

Milanis

I hope I am not too late asking but I am experiencing the same issue. I have a lot of LUT's that I want to test, sorted in a lot of little subfolders. Now, how can I actually go to my color grading, select texture and "just" use a special LUT folder for texture selection and quick scrubbing though like selecting a font in PS/AFX? The Luts don't have any special naming convention. What I literally just get is a window with a ton of textures..all - which is a lot. Is there some secret hotkey that I can press for just getting the specific folder? (Unity 2018.4.2f1)

Tallek likes this.
  7. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Its never too late to ask! we're looking at this problem as part of our search fixes for our next major release. It's all about filtering and the problem you see in the object picker (anywhere you select something in that small window) are due to a prior inability to filter properly.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  8. nareshbishtasus

nareshbishtasus

I'm facing the same issue with the "select sprite" window. I use a lot of third-party assets that come with a lot of sprites and it floods the "select sprite" window. I'm using 2019.4.18f, is the problem solved in this version?

tobihoffmann and Marc-Saubion like this.
  9. TheXKing360

TheXKing360

I am also facing an issue with classes calling

10. TwoBitMachines

TwoBitMachines

Any updates?

tobihoffmann likes this.
  11. tobihoffmann

tobihoffmann

I would like to know aswell. I am using an open street map feature in my project with thousands of map tiles (PNGs) wich flood the "Select Texture" window.

TwoBitMachines likes this.
  12. HiddenTess

HiddenTess

Being able to exclude assets from specific packages would also be great. For instance, some of Unity's own packages (such as InputSystem and Entities) include editor resource assets that are of no direct use in someone's project, and it would be nice to exclude them from asset pickers.

TwoBitMachines and FerdowsurAsif like this.
  13. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Hidden packages seems to be the way... but how do you add something to the hidden packages in the first place?

14. navarone77

navarone77

Any updates on this ?
    being able to exclude these types of textures would be a good feature , I have a custom tool that uses AssetImporter.GetAtPath with TextureImporter , and those Resources textures cause NullRef that I have to handle separately.
    upload_2024-1-15_14-55-0.png

15. sirleto

sirleto

I am having a pretty large project, and want to exclude certain name patterns of files, or atleast folders of files. i definitely need to exclude unity version control package and other third party tools from asset store that ship a lot of icons that are not only visible unceesarily in the "select texture" tool, but also, due to having quite random names without any scheme, appear scattered throughout the project, even though the project files are meticulously named by hand (e.g. minerals_ hero_ enemy_ foliage_ etc. having as starting name to tie groups together) to allow for level designers to scroll and skip certaing roups that do not affect them...

so i hope very much this gets solved soon - or someone have another idea how to solve this

francoislaura10 likes this.