Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Exception: OBSOLETE - Providing Android resources in Assets/Plugins/Android/assets was removed

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by EyeDev44, Sep 19, 2021.

1. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

I use 2021.2.0b12.3482. Right after update it became unavailable to build an android version because of error. Notice that Assets/Plugins/Android/assets contains the same 2 files sa before. AAR files are also here.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Exception: OBSOLETE - Providing Android resources in Assets/Plugins/Android/assets was removed, please move your resources to an AAR or an Android Library. See "AAR plug-ins and Android Libraries" section of the Manual for more details.
    2. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.CheckUserResources.Execute (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) (at <f11f51e404a14fc28663376d5ae6cde8>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessRunner.RunAllTasks (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) (at <f11f51e404a14fc28663376d5ae6cde8>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PrepareForBuild (UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target) (at <f11f51e404a14fc28663376d5ae6cde8>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PrepareForBuild (UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target) (at <f11f51e404a14fc28663376d5ae6cde8>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.PrepareForBuild (UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup targetGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target) (at <8a8bf68eb0e443b196386a376561c6a1>:0)
    7. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    10. Error building Player: Exception: OBSOLETE - Providing Android resources in Assets/Plugins/Android/assets was removed, please move your resources to an AAR or an Android Library. See "AAR plug-ins and Android Libraries" section of the Manual for more details.

2. aubreypuan

aubreypuan

Please help, I am having this issue too.

3. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

Haven't fixed. 2021.2.01 stable. still not able to build for android.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

https://docs.unity3d.com/2021.2/Documentation/Manual/UpgradeGuide20212.html

5. bagieta

bagieta

What is the problem is that this error is caused by Unity itself. In my case, it is by UDP.
    I got 2021.2.3f1 and UDP 2.2.3
    UDP is creating this folder where GameSettings.prop is located.
    I hope they will fix it soon.

ShaggyShiva likes this.
  6. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

2021.2.3f1 doesn't fixed.

7. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

8. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

9. alexisdavidson

alexisdavidson

Found any solution? Having the same issue

10. J871578924

J871578924

Found any solution? Having the same issue

11. galactt

galactt

what if just change the version of the unity? could smth change?

12. phuong_unity

phuong_unity

For anyone facing this issue with UDP, updating to UDP 2.2.4 will resolve the issue.

13. Chethan007

Chethan007

Hi , I tried to integrate Chartboost ads in my Unity Project.I got this error, Then I went to Services->UDP. In the package manager I used the latest UDP 2.2.5. But still getting the same error.

tolosaoldfan likes this.
  14. gabrielesimula

gabrielesimula

15. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

Any solution? I don't use UDP and I'm having this bug when I try to build to Android. Unity 2021.3.2f1

Mishganches likes this.
  16. fahad1594

fahad1594

plz resolve this issue

17. youminewecraft26

youminewecraft26

Deleting the "Assets" folder in "\Assets\Plugins\Android\" seemed to fix it for me

18. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

You can't just delete android's plugin folder. It contains as dependency files and resources you need to build an Android version.

19. Mishganches

Mishganches

20. Leeocosta

Leeocosta

A exclusão da massa "Ativos" em "Ativos/Plugins/Android" funcionou perfeitamente

21. richardzzzarnold

richardzzzarnold

The real solution of course is to change from Unity to Unreal Engine. Everything in Unity is always broken. It's their business model.

22. jd_powell

jd_powell

This same fix worked for us as well - don't delete the entire Android folder, just the Assets folder under Android in Plugins. Keep the libs folder in Android as is. Then you can do the build.

TheCircadian and khadkahakku like this.
  23. BillyHansen

BillyHansen

The easiest solution for me was creating a folder named 'myLibrary.androidlib'. I copied the resources to their respective subfolders 'myLibrary.androidlib/res/values' and 'myLibrary.androidlib/res/xml' (my issue was with a network_security_config.xml resource) I also made a simple AndroidManifest at the root of the new android library folder.

UnityKristy, do2, ThinhHB and 4 others like this.
  24. dtootill

dtootill

While deleting this folder does allow the build to complete, the resultant APK file is corrupt. Attempting to load it gets the error "There was a problem parsing the package".

I'm seeing this issue on Unity 2021.3.8f1 after upgrading from Unity 2020.2.38f1. Android builds went fine on 2020; they fail with the "Providing Android resources in Assets/Plugins/Android/assets was removed" message in 2021. The Assets/Plugins/Android/assets directory contains a single file, GameSettings.prop, with a single line containing a string of apparently random characters, surrounded by comments (in all caps) saying "*** DO NOT DELETE OR MODIFY THIS FILE !! **". This warning seems accurate, given that removing the file results in an unusable APK.

I'm on UDP 2.2.5, which is apparently what has created this file. Has anyone successfully moved it to an aar? If so, what is the process?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  25. Roberto_Corrales

Roberto_Corrales

Hey Dtootill, did you manages to solve it? I'm having the same issue and i've got no idea on how to solve it...

26. elharasamin

elharasamin

Thank you this solution works for me

27. Steviebops

Steviebops

Im also seeing this error. Very odd behaviour when 2020 was fine.
    What exactly is Unity asking us to pack into this "arr"? The entire plugins folder, the "res" folder?

Some clarity would be appreciated, or better yet, a fix.

XDEmphesis likes this.
  28. ThinhHB

ThinhHB

I faced this issue while import the Chartboost SDK to unity project 2022.1.3. This solution is simple and work for me !! Thanks so much !!

MAshok likes this.
  29. khadkahakku

khadkahakku

This worked for me

30. drorriov

drorriov

Thank you for updating it works for you.
    I just upgraded from 2019 to 2021 (the latest TLS) and encountered this error, i tried to delete the assets folder on \Assets\Plugins\Android\ but still receiving this error, can you just explain what did you exactly do to solve it? because I don't know which plugin is causing this...

tongchun_line likes this.
  31. MeHigh94

MeHigh94

Hello,

Any other fixes for that? I am still encountering this issue on Unity 2021.3.14f1 LTS..
    Thanks!

32. skeyll

skeyll

This error's causes and solutions are here.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2021.2/Documentation/Manual/UpgradeGuide20212.html

The reference way for android assets has changed, and we need manually modify this folder.
    We have two solutions.
    a. res.aar
    Zip Android/res and change the extension to aar.
    b. res.androidlib
    Create the following two files, move them to Android/res, zip res, and change the extension to androidlib.

AndroidManifest.xml
    Code (CSharp):
    2. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    3. <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
    4. package="custom.android.res" android:versionCode="1" android:versionName="1.0">
    5. </manifest>
    project.properties
    Code (CSharp):
    2.     target=android-9 android.library=true
    I could built with b. aar did not work.
    The original AndroidManifest creates a new res folder, so move it to tmp folder during test build.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  33. ashish_jangir

ashish_jangir

Thank you. Your solution worked for me. And for the next person looking for solution for this problem atleast open the link once he provide to get more details then only this problem can be solved.

34. gagasik

gagasik

Hey, could you please provide more information on this?

35. halimsantoso

halimsantoso

hello, this is how i fix res folder (my res folder added because chartboost sdk)
    move your xml folder (inside plugins/android/res) to
    myproject\Library\Bee\Android\Prj\IL2CPP\Gradle\launcher\src\main\res
    don't forget to delete .meta file inside xml folder

36. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

For anyone blocked, here's a semi automatic way to unblock you.
    * Place this script https://github.com/todi1856/Android...rader/Assets/Editor/AndroidPluginsUpgrader.cs into Assets/Editor folder
    * Restart Editor
    * Open project
    * If you have Assets/Plugins/Android/<res, assets> folder present, you'll see a dialog asking about upgrade
    * Basically Unity will move Assets/Plugins/Android/<res, assets> -> Assets/Plugins/Android/<res, assets>-legacy and upon export/build will manually copy Assets/Plugins/Android/<res, assets>-legacy to unityLibrary/src/main/<res, assets> folder (excluding .meta files)

2023-02-27: Upgraded code to also upgrade assets directory, similarly like gagasik code does.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  37. gagasik

gagasik

Anyone
    Thanks, here is the extended version , which also works on assets folder.

https://github.com/Frismos/UnityUtilsHelpers/blob/main/AndroidResAssetsUpgraderPostprocessor.cs

Tomas1856 likes this.
  38. MaceB

MaceB

This worked for me but then lead me to a "Type com.unity3d.player.BuildConfig is defined multiple times" error in Android Studio (I already have an AndroidManifest in Plugins > Android.) I'm sure I've written something wrong in the "simple AndroidManifest" you mentioned. Could you please provide a complete example of the simple AndroidManifest you mentioned for the network_security_config.xml?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  39. StoneShield

StoneShield

thank you @skeyll
    solutions b work for me also

40. luizgbusiness

luizgbusiness

Tried all the solutions here, and this one was the only who worked for me.
    My issue was that I've upgraded to Unity 2021.3, and I received this message while building: "Exception: OBSOLETE - Providing Android resources in Assets/Plugins/Android/assets was removed".

Tried the res.aar and res.androidlib, but then another message: "resource 'string/fb_login_protocol_scheme' not found", as if the strings.xml was gone or not found. But the AndroidPluginsUpgrader.cs script worked and my build was successful.

41. unity_Brini_Hamdi

unity_Brini_Hamdi

Deleting the "Assets" folder in "\Assets\Plugins\Android" fix it for me in unity 2021.3.21f1

chenjiechao666 likes this.
  42. arkasth

arkasth

thanks, the aar worked for me but i had to delete the res folder and res.meta.

43. chenjiechao666

chenjiechao666

that`s good!

44. Kujji

Kujji

I got and error while using your method with script: Resource 'xml/file_paths' not found in AndroidManifest.xml:47,
    (See the Console for details). As i understand AndroidManifest doesn't see file_paths.xml that is in res-legacy/xml/

45. DucaDiMonteSberna

DucaDiMonteSberna

still getting a problem like this.
    EDIT 1: using the provided "semi-automatic method" is building something!
    EDIT 2: nope, build failed.
    EDIT 3: after various test build succeeded, but I can't pinpoint out a reason.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  46. Sarudan

Sarudan

That's just sooooo helpful. Your insights are deep...

47. gamer4002

gamer4002

worked for me too