Search Unity

Making use of the Vive Pro Stereoscopic Camer for XR?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CloudyVR, Mar 23, 2018.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Hi,

I have never worked with AR before so please try to not mind my lack of understanding regarding developing with it in Unity. However I have done a few things with VR in Unity.

And today I was reminded to look at the release status for the pro, and they were taking pre-orders!!! So I dropped some funds and now it's going to be shipped to me in April!!! :)

But with every passing second I become more anxious about how to use it's XR functionality.

Will I be able to use it to design AR style games?

And if so, could somebody kindly point me to an example or some documentation so I can read up?

Thanks!!

2. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Bump,

4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Well now that I have had a chance to try the pro for a little I can say that I don't believe the dual camera even does anything.

After enabling camera options in steamVR it only uses the right camera and I still only see that bland old matrix-vision 2d overlay which looks worse than the original vive.

Not a very impressive feature for the price I must add (and I wish they spent the resources on upping the res to 4K instead of adding non-functional bells and whistles, oh well, money already spent so I'll just make the best of it..).

I'm still very interested though if Unity is capable of making use of them in any way.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018