Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Example Project - Video Player

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by LeonhardP, Jan 16, 2017.

1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,
    The project you can download through the link below is meant to grant you immediate access to the new Video Player.

This affords you the possibility to see this feature in action, without having to implement things yourself. This is supposed to be an elevated starting point for your exploratory adventures in Unity’s Beta.

Project link (17 MB):
    (Link removed)

In the 'Cinema' Scene you take place inside a virtual cinema to watch videos of your choice.

After opening the project in Unity and loading the 'Cinema' Scene, you have to import a video file and assign it to the VideoPlayer component attached to the 'Screen' GameObject.

Then simply play the scene and press the space bar to start the replay. If you want to enjoy a seamless cinema experience, I recommend building the project once you've set up the video.

If you don't have any cinematic video material you want to examine, you can download the first part of the Adam demo here (34 MB):
    (Link removed)

You can find more information about the Video Player here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/128X3Wr3xWDK-XTEhwnGkK4-ndqZAezijsZgQY43q0vM/edit

And here:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/correct-video-format-for-video-playback.446011/

Please take note that this project will be taken down once the Beta concludes.

You can use this thread to discuss the subject matter. Feedback is very welcome!

Edit: Links removed due to end of beta.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    samnarain likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sounds great! :)

Can we use this video player with 5.5.0f3?

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi Anne,
    The Video Player is a new feature in 5.6, so unfortunately not.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

(sigh) :)

5. Yode_group

Yode_group

It doesn't work with android? (( I do some optimization for mobile (remove all seats and lights), and set "auto play" for video, but video don't play on Android device. Test it on Sony Z3. In Editor it works flawless.

6. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hello,

I tried it with the Adam Video.

Sound is not working ...
    I checked everything, I'm not mutted, volume is set to 1.

Changing the playback speed stop the video too at some point...

Cheers

EDIT: Audio works with an AudioSource but not with "Direct" Mode

7. CorstiaanMediamonks

CorstiaanMediamonks

Has anyone succeeded in playing 4K 360 video? I've tried quite a couple of encodings but Unity keeps throwing errors "Error while reading movie" and "Movie encoding error". I've tried H.264 (Main 5.1) and H.265. Any special settings I'm missing?

Joel_Dittrich likes this.
  8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

You'll have to disable the VideoControl script as well and change the screen Material from ScreenStart to Video. Then It should work with auto play.

Unfortunately "Direct" mode doesn't work on Windows. I'll look into implementing the AudioSource solution into the project.

EDIT: Updated the project to play audio via AudioSource.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  9. MarkHenryC

MarkHenryC

@paskhalov Has now been acknowledged by Unity as reproducible bug 866587 (not working on Android)

10. Yode_group

Yode_group

It doesn't help :(

Thx for link. Vote for it.

11. diogocortiz

diogocortiz

Is it possible to use Video Player in WebGL? I have exported a project using WebGL but the video does not show up. It works fine in Editor.

12. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Anybody have answer to the question if the video player works in WebGL?

Im using WebGL and need a video player, I hope you guys havnt forgotten about WebGL, we are people too!

Can it stream a mp4 video and play it, for example can i tell it to play a video located at www.mysite.com/hello.mp4

13. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, WebGL is supported. But it works only with URLs and not VideoClips.

14. diogocortiz

diogocortiz

Attached Files:

SpencerS likes this.
  15. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

maybe check your CORS, some websites maybe dont want you playing their videos from another site, i think, just trying to help.

16. diogocortiz

diogocortiz

Hi, yeah. CORS seems to be a problem. I also had problem with Microsoft IIS. I have changed my URL and put it on Apache Server. The video is working fine in WebGL now.

SpencerS likes this.
  17. DCrosby

DCrosby

I found kind of an obscure Error, using Perforce and was able to resolve it, eventually. Process to re-produce error:

Have a project working with video in a folder, and video on an object, Branch the Project, open the source, allow to re-compile, and then play / execute, it will come up with a "Can't find movie []" error. I did some looking into where that error lived, so I could see what it was trying to do, it must sin in the source, as it's not in my code, or code I can see. So I tried everything, assigning nothing to the Video Clip, changing the render to texture, renaming things nothing worked, until I remove the movie from the project and brought it back in, re-creating the meta file I assume, and then when I dragged it in it started working, nothing materially changed, other than me removing and having to re-import the movie.

18. stopiccot

stopiccot

Running sample project with adam sample video on my Google Nexus 5X (Android 7.1.1). App crahes with stacktrace:
    https://gist.github.com/stopiccot/403b140574a9df8376bd85836f7eada3

The only thing I modified is VideoControl::Update() method so it starts video automatically:

Code (csharp):
    1. if (!videoPlayer.isPlaying) {
    2.      videoPlayer.Play();
    3. }

19. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

WebGLMovieTexture doesnt work on Chrome browser, gives error fastSeek is not a function, but it works in firefox.

20. spelletier_bhvr

spelletier_bhvr

I had the same error as you (AndroidVideoMedia::StartAudioDecoders: Cannot get media track 1 language). To make the example above work on Android, I had to uncheck the "import audio" checkbox in the import settings for the video. I was able to play three videos simultaneously on three different screens.

Note that this does not work on iOS. Although there is no crash or error messages, no video plays. I tried on iOS 10.2.1 and 8.1.1. Has anybody been able to play videos on iOS using the new VideoPlayer ?

21. caiovosilva

caiovosilva

Can you please explain how did you get the videos playing on android?

Here is just a white screen on android

22. Analytics206

Analytics206

First thank you for setting this project up.
    I am having issues with sound playing back choppy, this is with the Adam video download and with several others I have tried. I am using 5.6.0b9
    thank you for any feed back.

23. Analytics206

Analytics206

Alright I fixed choppy sound by disabling Adaptive Lighting script. This must be very intense light processing, though my laptop is not top notch it's no slouch but I guess it can't handle adaptive lighting. The frame rate drops from 90 fps to 20 fps with AL script enabled. Which in my opinion is probably the best part of this project. I will try to cut back the lighting and go from there.
    Any advise on keeping the lighting or ways to optimize would be appreciated.
    thank you for your time.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  24. StevenDelrue

StevenDelrue

It doesn't seem to work on Android when setting an url in code and calling Prepare() (tested on a Samsung S7)

The app just hangs..

25. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Its a bug, i saw the same thing, it only plays the URL specified in the Inspector, trying it from code dont work. I wonder who coded this player, i guess he never tried it even once or else he would see that it dont work.

26. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Glad you like it! The way the adaptive lighting is handled in the project is really demanding in terms of cpu usage (reads out all the pixel colours of every frame to get the average colour of the current frame, and applies that to the directional lights in the scene). There are numerous ways to tackle the generation of this effect differently, but all of them that I can think of come at different costs. You could change the global illumination settings to use the emissive property of the screen material to have an adaptive lighting effect, but this won't cast shadows. Or you could reduce the size of the render texture, the video player is rendering to (so the script wouldn't need to go through that many pixels).

Some info on the emission parameter of the standard shader:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterEmission.html

The emission approach wouldn't require a script. Unfortunately I am no expert and don't know how to achieve the same effect at lower costs (otherwise I would have done it differently ;) ), and if someone has a better idea how to do it, I would be interested in that as well!

27. YarrySP

YarrySP

Have you worked with seeking yet?

Everything works great for me, using the Video Player, except for seeking.

When I do seeking in the video, using a slider, the video and audio is prone to go out of sync. Even if I use the seekingComplete callback event.

28. MooviEstudios

MooviEstudios

Can someone please tell me how to get this working on android?

29. lumacode

lumacode

Video Player still broken on Android (S6, Mali-T760) for me in beta 11...

The audio plays but video doesn't because the shader fails to compile.

Extension 'GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3' not supported
    Note: Creation of internal variant of shader 'Hidden/VideoDecodeAndroid' failed.

30. dorinc

dorinc

Any luck with seeking? It is not working for me either.

31. nwxnw

nwxnw

Thanks for posting this example. This worked fine for me in 5.6b11.

Are there any examples of viewing a 360 video in Vive? I was able to display a front only view of a 360 video by attaching the VideoPlayer to the Eye of a SteamVR camera rig. However it was very disorienting, double right-left images and the image did not pan when moving the headset. Has anyone succeeded with this and have some tips on how to get it done?

32. luzanb

luzanb

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  33. YarrySP

YarrySP

34. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

How can I extract/separate/split the audio from an imported video into an AudioClip so I can get samples from the AudioClip to create a waveform?

Right now it looks like I have to import audio separately to do that so I can get an array from AudioClip.samples, which means the user has to split video audio and video files before adding them to my app.

35. saik007

saik007

Guys...... I'm using unity5.6.0b9 , and all i want to know is does new video player option in unity5.6 supports Android or Not..Because i tried it different times but at the same in the unity documentation i saw that at present it only supports for Standalone and webgl...........and also unity recognized it as a bug : https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/android-videoplayer-not-playing-video

All i want to know is for now, does unity 5.6.0b9 support video playback for android???

Regards
    sai.

36. luzanb

luzanb

I have been using VideoPlayer API as shared in this blog How to use Unity VideoPlayer on RawImage Component on Android Devices with 7.0 and 7.1.1 on Axon 7, Honor 8 and OnePlus 3. On Unity's draft document they mentioned that they are still working on Android. So you may want to use latest Unity 5.6.0f1,

37. saik007

saik007

Thank you..........
    But unfortunately it didn't worked for me even in editor..........i tried everything correctly ....Currently i'm using unity5.60b9
    may be that's the issue............I'm gonna upgrade to 5.6.0f2 which released yesterday and gonna try it again.........But it was mentioned there that, there's some issues and crashes when build for android devices lower than marshmallow.............

38. saik007

saik007

Guys i have a doubt, I just downloaded unity 5.60f1 candidate-2 let's say after a week unity officially released 5.6 then what should i do:
    1.I should again download everything i.e. again downloading the editor, Tools, Platform supports e.t.c
    or

2.Only the things which were upgraded, so that no need to waste a lot of time and data. :) I have a slow internet connection

I'm asking this because, I already have 5.4.3, 5.5.1, 5.60b9, 5.60f1 candidate 2,unity for hololens and i think an another one.......... And i think lot of other developers also want to know about this.........

And also i want to know what are patches? And How can we attach or upgrade using patches...?
    Or whether Patches is the answer, what i was looking for all this time...............? Waiting for quick response

Thank you....

39. saik007

saik007

If you need it ASAP and ready to spend some bucks.... Then there's EasymovieTexture plugin for android, ios, windows with editor playback for testing...No need to add audiosources and all just put your videos in Streaming folder and that's it but the size of the video will directly affect the build size...So make sure about it.........

40. saik007

saik007

Hey i recently upgraded to unity5.6.0f2 and it's going well and the video & audio plays now............But video not playing in android in both url & Asset texture mode, only audio is playing...........I've tested it on lollipop ,marshmallow and even on Nogut but it doesn't work............The phone are coolpad(lollipop), Lenovo(Marshmallow) & nexus(Nogut)

41. luzanb

luzanb

@saik007 you can issue a bug for this. Go under Help > Report a bug on Unity Menu.