Search Unity

Example -Detail textures-sand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AaronC, May 17, 2006.

1. AaronC

AaronC

From the component reference manual...

However I discovered that you cannot use default ambient light. YOU MUST ADD A LIGHT FOR THIS TO WORK(This took me a while to figure)

Find the temple...

If the upload works and anyone has any q's, let me know
    I havent fallen through the single layered mesh for a while-id be keen to hear if anyone has any buggs with it, or u think I can improve any parts...
    AC

2. AGhost

AGhost

That looks cool.

One suggestion, if it is supposed to be during the day, you might want to make the sand lighter and add a bit more light. On the other hand if it is supposed to be night, it looks good.

BTW, how did you do that landscape? Is it just a mesh?

Ghost

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Looks pretty cool. Maybe a bit too dark; especially on the PC (because of gamma differences).

4. AaronC

AaronC

Hey Ghost its an obj made of close to 65000 polygons made in Bryce then imported to maya where it is saved as an .mb file.Import that.

You know what? The "Detail textures" thing didnt work cause I compressed it as a webplayer...Doh
    I'll try and get a screenshot sorted out...it just looks really cool...
    Hey I agree about the gamma differences. How should we be compensating for that?

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

At the moment the best you can do is try to use full color range - not too dark, not too bright. Macs have a gamma of 1.8, while most PCs have 2.2, so your images will look darker; especially the lower intensities.

You can also try creating a 2.2 target gamma profile and setup it on your Mac display (System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate). The colors will look approximately how they'd look on a PC.

We're looking for ways to solve the gamma difference issue in a nicer way.

6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

It does look a tad dark, but that might be partly because of the black/purple sky. Lighten that up a bit. Also, if there's a directional light in the scene turn the brightness up. Good use of the far clip plane, it's obvious that geometry is being clipped, but a little fog would fade that out and I think you have it set at a perfect distance.

So it's around 65,000 polys broken up into 4 parts? I didn't notice the seams... looking cool so far!

7. AaronC

AaronC

64k polys for the single terrain mesh...
    just 1 not 4..
    When a shootball ball or other object falls of the terrain and into oblivion, is the vram still remembering it?Or is it destroyed once it dissappears?Can anyone tell me?I figure balls in space could be polys somewhere else on the level...

I hope all that played this demo had enough patience to find the temple and shoot the fireball...
    If you havent played it yet, keep to the well lit areas and find where the lights' coming from. Play it at night when its quiet for best effect...

Isnt it cool that we can load this stuff up and someone else somewhere is playing it? Its modern art I reckon, I see what I made as an extension of myself-It reflects my personality, and I see it in everyone elses work too...

Great Work OTEE, I cant wait to see whats ahead
    AC

8. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Yup... It's a pretty powerful feeling...

I recently made a Tamagochi rose for my girlfriend... Running in a web player, a rosebud on a small island. She had to water it to make it grow. If she didn't it would die from neglect...

Eventually, the rose unfolded. That was one bitch to model...

Took me 2 months in the evenings to do, but it was well worth it.

But yeah... In things like these, Unity is just an extension of my powers in expressing things. 5 years ago, I'd have sent her a DV tape with some weird footage on. Now I can make weird Tamagochi web plugins...

Damn... Work is calling.

9. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Cool. I went in, found your temple, and destoyed it like any self-respecting explorer would do. You know, (false) ancient gods and all :)

Beautiful work. What's with the fireball? It suddently started moving.

d.

10. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Cool idea. Could you post a screenshot?

11. AaronC

AaronC

1. Hey so if an object "falls off "the level(due to gravity) and drops to oblivion, are the polygons stil being calculated?

Heres a screener to show the detail which was why I started this thread in the first place...

2. The "Mummy" was origionally a soldier in the Unity assets folder. I've given him some new threads and modelling in maya, and am now trying to load him into my level with the hopes of getting him to walk round. I've got someone to help me with the AI, but its up to me to get him walking first. Upon reimporting the legs dont work proper, though exactly the same file walks fine in maya.
    Can anyone offer me some tips regarding the settings tab in the project window as far as bringing the mummy in with a walk cycle? and which tabs to have switched to which way in the inspector?Wicked
    AC

12. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You need to select Bake IK in the import settings.

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

It is quite quickly culled away once it's out of the camera's frustum. However, it is still there, performs physics calculations (i.e. falls down), runs it's scripts etc. It's not a high price to pay, but usually in a game you want to destroy objects that get "too far away to be relevant" (think rockets firing into the sky in FPS).

14. AaronC

AaronC

Hey guys, cheers for your advices, Im still sorting things out though...
    When I import mummy.mb mummy.ma, and mummy.fbx, with bake IK selected, Hes still paralysed from the waist down(its kinda creepy actually)
    The interesting thing is the error message at the bottom of the screen, it says" Maya cannot convert .mb to fbx"
    I find this odd as the file has been exported from Maya, is on a local drive and I'm importing it into Unity. The Maya part of the equation is over.It also says that when Im importing an .fbx version too, so there is no Maya file. And the upper body moves fine. Ive exported him with so many different names and presets that I have to call him daddy now. Any advice anyone?

15. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Can i get you to report a bug on it. Just Run Report Bug.app after an failed import. Then i can take a closer look at what is going on.

16. AaronC

AaronC

Sure thing, Tommorow, which may be your today, over there
    Thanks
    AC