Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Everytime reopening Hub it always asking for license

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Reanimate_L, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

What the title said, everytime i Quit Hub and reopening it again. The Hub always asking me to activate the license.

2. jorrit-de-vries

jorrit-de-vries

3. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

There is a bug fix for the license in progress, it should be fixed soon

4. bjarkeck

bjarkeck

Any news on this? It seems like every time I shift between opening the hub and opening Unity outside the hub, I have to re-validate the license, on either side.

5. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

Same, I am not sure if we are a minority but this happens to me nearly every time.

6. JackPS9

JackPS9

It happens to me as well, though once a while it wont ask for it.

7. caffeine13

caffeine13

This used to happen occasionally, but now I'm getting it every time I open HUB.

8. PeterR

PeterR

Any news on this? It has been happening to me since hub first launched.

9. XUNITY4K

XUNITY4K

No. It happens still all the time.

10. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

We're terribly sorry about this issue and hope to resolve it soon. It is possible that it was fixed in the Hub V2 (available in beta). In any case we tried to make the license flow much easier in the later and we encourage everyone to give it a try. Installing the beta shouldn't affect your current Hub as it will be installed as a separate app (please close one before opening the other). Sorry again for the inconvenience!

Cheers,

mysticvalleycsa likes this.
  11. mholmes

mholmes

getting issue to, Unity hub sucks.

12. terryYang

terryYang

me too, it always asking me to activate the license. unity2019 must be started by unityhub, that's sucks, it can't be used up to now!
    update to 1.6.1, it still can't work.

479813005 likes this.
  13. Karsten

Karsten

Unity hub 2.0 still always asks for a new licence you can redo the activate new licence how often you want it always reasks, my guess is that it tries to save the info somewhere where a normal user cant save stuff, it could be that if you start as admin that it works (not tested) , but even if that works it isnt a real solution

14. nbasaran

nbasaran

I am getting the same problem each time opening the hub as well.

15. viktorkadza

viktorkadza

still an issue 2020 Feb

16. mpamukcu

mpamukcu

Still happening to me too

17. ddayptc

ddayptc

I have the same issue. I opened a support ticket and I was told that it will be fixed in the next release. For me it is caused be the fact that we are in a open office and our docking stations are USB and the MAC address is different every day which invalidates the license. I real inconvenience.

18. cfireborn

cfireborn

Still an issue April 2020

19. ZaherHa

ZaherHa

yep same here till now

20. dfjhde

dfjhde

still a issue till now

21. Ericsheng

Ericsheng

still a issue till now Unity hub sucks.

avataris-io and dmcgr12345 like this.
  22. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

I'm getting this now too. On the most recent version of Unity Hub and Unity3D (Hub 2.3.2 and Unity 2019.4f3)

23. vyshnav_ks

vyshnav_ks

Please guys solve this problem....Its been 2 years even today also facing these problem. Every time we have to connect to internet to validate license after window restart or restarting the unity hub.

Franc3spo and piscomai like this.
  24. Ineffablevishal8055

Ineffablevishal8055

its still same Mr. Everybody.. offline work now is a big issue when i dont connect to internet which i dont need really for small projects

25. rizqims100

rizqims100

Please,fix this issue....

26. ArthurofHyrule

ArthurofHyrule

It's September 17th, 2020 and I am still getting this issue! I am on a laptop and when I move it in my office, or I go to my house with it I have this exact problem. All my license access just goes away, when I go to enter my serial key to activate my license it says: ‘'Machine Identification Is Invalid For Current License’’.

The only solution is for me to completely uninstall Unity Hub EVERYDAY, and then reinstall it and then when I put my serial key in it works...

27. bflorin519

bflorin519

Its 29 October 2020 and i still encounter this problem on my windows machine, but it works in linux(on ubuntu i only activated it once and it still works)

28. INGTONY

INGTONY

its anoying , evrey time , im working on my laptop and evry time i turn on and open ask me for this , whats happening

29. Limyc

Limyc

This is still an issue. Getting license errors that require reactivation is annoying and tedious, but it's extremely frustrating when you're working offline and those errors are impossible to fix.

30. InglewoodTechnology

InglewoodTechnology

This is still an issue; Unity please stop ignoring. Either post a useless "We are aware of this issue and will fix soon" or actually fix it.

Topzzy66 likes this.
  31. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Administrator

32. chiragbhuvaneshwar

chiragbhuvaneshwar

I'm facing this issue still. I use Windows. This totally sucks. Such a waste of time.

33. INDIEGAMEDEV360

INDIEGAMEDEV360

Still in Decenber 2020 but there is a temporary fix just uninstall it and reinstall it will work fine but after shutting down pc you will have the same problem i dont why unity is not fixing it.it is causing major causes to indie game developers .unity hub should be optional but it isn't unlucky now i have to uninstall unity hub everyday and its get really frustrated unity please give some response to this problem

34. CuriousTiger

CuriousTiger

I'm assuming this is a network issue? I use a vpn at home and whenever I switch hosts or turn the vpn off, hub immediately says I don't have a valid license, or that the one I have will expire soon (even though I have a personal license). Any timeframe for when this will be fixed?

35. Ladek

Ladek

This problem is happening because UnityHub is using a MAC address to create a unique license and the MAC address that the license is tied to is changing.

You can test this by running the "getmac" command on the Windows command prompt (cmd.exe), restarting your PC, and then running the "getmac" command a second time. Compare the output of the two, if it's at all different you have a MAC address that is changing and UnityHub is likely relying on it to generate a license. My guess is the UnityHub license would remain stable so long as you don't restart your PC (that's when your MAC address may change). Although Windows may change MAC address at other times.

The gist of the fix is to make your MAC address static so that it doesn't change and invalidate your license. You can achieve that by following the steps below (there are probably other ways as well):

If you are connected to the internet using Wi-Fi, I'd recommend looking up how to turn "Use random hardware addresses" off. You should be able to do this on Windows 10 by doing the following:
    1. Search "Settings"
    2. Click on "Network & Internet"
    3. Click "Wi-Fi"
    4. Under the "Random hardware addresses" and turn of "Use random hardware addresses"
    5. Restart your PC.
    6. Reactivate through UnityHub.
    7. Restart your PC again to make sure the license is stable.
    If you are connected to the internet using Ethernet, make sure that your Wi-Fi adapter is turned off. You should be able to turn it off on Windows 10 by doing the following:
    1. Control Panel > Network and Internet
    2. Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings
    3. Right click on "Wi-Fi" and select "Disable" in the context menu.
    4. Restart your PC.
    5. Reactivate through UnityHub.
    6. Restart your PC again to make sure the license is stable.
    I was using an ethernet connection when I ran into this problem because I also had a Wi-Fi adapter that was enabled. UnityHub seems to be selecting the Wi-Fi adapter even though I was using ethernet (hopefully they fix this bug). Alternatively if you don't want to disable your Wi-Fi adapter see the "If you are connected to the internet using Wi-Fi" section for how to make the Wi-Fi adapters MAC address static. You may need to restart your PC a few times to get things to work.

36. ClicksAndLinks

ClicksAndLinks

Simply using the MAC address is a terrible idea! There are so many other ways of determining a unique id. For instance, Windows XP licensing used a number of pieces of data and had a kind of voting procedure where different pieces of data had a number of "votes" and for a machine to be considered the same there had to be a minimum number of votes all agreeing. This enabled you to change your network card for instance, and it would still be thought of as the same machine. Then another time you could change your CPU and that would be ok. But if you changed them at the same time then there might not be enough votes to consider it the same machine. Of course this is open to abuse, and there will always be corner cases, but it's a reasonable way of doing it for the majority of the cases.

So at a minimum I would say MAC address, CPU ID, hard drive ID(s), and a cookie, maybe HW IDs too.

It does make it a bit embarrassing when I am trying to demo something to a client and I have to go through the whole licencing procedure in front of them!

TunahanYilmaz and Limyc like this.
  37. giulio-pierucci

giulio-pierucci

This!

38. HexTree

HexTree

This issue is happening for me every time I open UnityHub.

39. cliff_4

cliff_4

Okay, so, I have had this problem since January 2021 and AbrahamDUnity's suggestion actually solved it for me. I downloaded the Beta version of Unity Hub, reinstalled it on my system, and finally doesn't ask me to activate my license every time I quit the Hub.
    However, I will update this comment if ever I come across any such related issue in the future. Cheers!

40. Munster_

Munster_

The issue still exists with the latest Unity Hub Stable/Beta versions, this is the only working fix I've found.

JzetaSwitchBlade and avataris-io like this.
  41. Bucketgamedev

Bucketgamedev

Thank you for the fix!

42. dariony

dariony

Making your computer less secure is not a fix. Unity should simply fix this issue.

43. DGF10

DGF10

Still happening even after turning off random hardware addresses

44. zero3growlithe

zero3growlithe

Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta.2, and it's still happening...
    How many more years before it is fixed?

45. dbquy

dbquy

I feel like it's getting worse for me. Now I'm having this problem even when using Play mode or editing the source code.

46. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi folks!
    Could you please update your Hub to V3 and check if this issue is still happening?
    We just got a new update, you can check the release notes here.

47. InglewoodTechnology

InglewoodTechnology

Unity Hub V3 is no help for me; UHub still forgets my license, &c.

48. BardoftheOzarks

BardoftheOzarks

Updated to V3.0 Beta. Issue still persists as of November 2021

49. BardoftheOzarks

BardoftheOzarks

New fix:

1. Sign into dashboard.unity3d.com
    2. Open your project in Unity
    3. In your project, go to Edit > Project Settings... > Services and select Link Project

This should generate a project ID that is linked to the Unity account that is currently in use, and thus your license. So long as you're connected to the internet when you open Unity Hub, it will recognize this project's origin device, owner, and the rest sorts itself out. No more typing in serial numbers (which, seriously, why was there no copy/paste option?).

Chibdibs likes this.
  50. InglewoodTechnology

InglewoodTechnology

I wanted this to work, followed the steps as described, but no change in my situation.

We're all more-or-less software devs here, yeah? Some hobbyist, some professional? Do any of us ship finished products as shaky as Unity finished products, and then just not have responses and/or solutions? In my next professional life I too would like to to be too big to fail.

JzetaSwitchBlade, markoal and Tryptex like this.