Search Unity

Everything Ivy - Scene Plants/Decoration

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by A_World_Maker, Mar 23, 2020.

1. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

2. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Reading feedback from some purchasers, it would seem some of you would like to use these trees using the Terrain Paint function. All the tree meshes I have created are multiple meshes, Unity's terrain process cannot use multiple meshes. In response I have started creating the Trees Gen03 series, that are the existing volumes in the series, that are compatible with the Unity Terrain system, to a large degree.

There are a couple of pluses and minuses with the conversion process.

+ Each material now comes with a new shader created by MTree, that creates it's own wind movement with greater controls.
    + Wind can be controlled and adjusted Directionally, or by Zone (adjustable Radius), by dropping the WindControl Prefab into the Scene and changing its properties from Directional to Radius and applying additional settings.
    + Colliders are applied and respected by the Terrain Painting process.
    + Vertex colouring applied outside of Unity is respected and can be used by 3rd party wind applications like MTree.
    - Due to the complexities of the way Unity handles Terrain Painting meshes, when applying LODs to each combined mesh, Unity will not render the results.
    - As LODs cannot be applied, the placement does not apply random scale or rotation.

The Wind Control has a lot of settings and is very good as emulating the randomness of natural wind through a terrain.

Hopefully Unity will evolve it's Terrain Painting process to be more inline with mainstream engines.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  3. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Trees Gen03_01 is now available on the AssetStore
    This generation of the Trees series is derived from the Trees Gen02 series, with compliance for using on the Unity Terrain painting. In addition, all the trees come with Wind functionality by default. Included in the pack is a bespoke Wind Controller prefab, that you simply drop into your scene. This sets the overall scene wind factors.
    Each tree type, can have different wind characteristics by making adjustments in the relative leaf material.

It is recommended that you set the tree painting onto the terrain to sparse, and use multiple trees (of the same species, or not), this will give variance to your wooded area.

4. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Coming soon, Water Volume One.

A series of meshes like waterfall, fountain, water wall etc, that use scrolling materials over contoured meshes. They are cheap to run and give a good simulation to add to your scene. Quite a few of the materials use Mobile Particle shaders (not that I use particles), because they are cheap on resources but get the job done. Each component of the models has been separated so you can use parts of a model, like a water spout, or ripple effect, on your own models, in your scene/game.

5. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Movie made to show some of what is included in the package:

6. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Some screenshots of Water World Volume 1 showing some of the models included:
    ScreenShot_20211012124607.png ScreenShot_20211012125353.png ScreenShot_20211012131446.png ScreenShot_20211012131645.png ScreenShot_20211012140846.png

7. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

More screenshots of Water World Volume 1:
    1950x1300WaterWorldVolume1.png ScreenShot_20211012130336.png ScreenShot_20211012132608.png ScreenShot_20211012140325.png ScreenShot_20211012141858.png

8. Somamint

Somamint

Hey i boughtTrees Gen02 Voluume 03. Is it correct, that this package does not inlcudes wind animation? If its so do you plan to update these pack to get wind for this amazing trees?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  9. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Hello,
    I had planned to update the Gen02 tree packs to include Wind and Terrain Painting use, however the plan to roll out all the packages would depend on demand as there is a lot of workload required. So far I have sold very few units https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/trees-gen03-volume-01-197970

However the implementations for using wind, are the same for all the Gen02 Tree packs, by using the shaders and wind scripts from https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/mtree-tree-creation-132433
    or https://mtreecreation.com/ . All the trees that I create have vertex colouring maps that are compatible for use with the mtree shader. I do not however use mtree programme for creating trees for a variety of reasons.

10. Somamint

Somamint

Thanks for the fast reply. So does it mean i need Mtree to create the Wind? What about buying
    Trees Gen03 Volume 01 and take the shaders from there?

11. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

You will have to check the T&C for the shader use. I purchased the full package sometime back. I was told I could sell my trees using the shaders as long as I linked the asset in the asset store page.
    I am assuming you intend to use the trees in a game, machinima where the assets are encapsulated (i.e. in a .exe file) and not exposed to the end user?

My advice is to purchase Mtree and use the shaders on any of the trees that I produce, they are compatible, within your built final product. You can of course try your hand at Mtree, it can be hard work, but the published Prefabs can be used and I believe, sold in your own asset offerings. I would add, it can take a considerable amount of time to get tree species creation, there are a LOT of settings to learn.

12. Somamint

Somamint

I'm just working on a mod project. And needed some nice trees! I added the leaf shader to the other trees and i got some movement!

13. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

The wind has two controls, one is the Wind Component, which you drop within the scene, you can set that as a global controller, or to work within a radius which you set. The shaders also have wind settings, this is useful to set each tree to have slight variances. In the first instance I set the wind in the component to quite high, then tweaked the shaders. You can set not just strength, but direction and turbulence. You can see a quick movie I made showing the bamboo placed using the terrain paint, that has a high randomness setting so each bamboo mesh is effected differently. The tree in the middle has different settings to the bamboo. The screenshots show the settings.

Screenshot (215).png Screenshot (216).png Screenshot (217).png

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  14. Somamint

Somamint

Thanks for the support. Yeah i found this settings and played arround with them and also got your old trees to work. However the mtree shader does not work ingame from the game i try to mod. But i guess i need to talk with the developer as everything is working in unity itself. It strange because shaders like this : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/world-space-trees-free-shader-117088 are working out of the box. But i guess its complicated to figure out what these shaders do different.

15. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

It could be that the game engine doesn't support shader scripts that move vertices. It may only support animated movement. It is possible to create trees that use animation for a movement sequence, but there would be no controls or even variances.

16. Somamint

Somamint

You mean to create new trees with mtree or can i use your trees with animation for a movement sequence? However i guess is first better to talk with the developer as i know he has windmovent in the game. The mtree shader however don't recognize these wind.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  17. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

You cannot create an animation within the editor easily, it can be done but will only play within the Unity engine. It is saved as a timeline by Unity, which is indigenous and not transferable. You can import animations into other engines that support the various formats, but the trees must have a skeleton rigged for the animation to work. The method deployed here is UV manipulation via the shader, not an animation.

18. Somamint

Somamint

i got an answer from the dev:
    "If the tree shader you are using uses windzone and you set LOD0 Dynamic on the environmental object in game then it should work. I have a windzone in the game. You just cannot control the strength or direction of the wind right now."

Is there anything i need to do after import the files to set up wind? I mean went through all the wind features. Windcontrol, Wind in the Shader. So just want to make a last time sure i did not forget it somewhere or have to i include it in a specific way. So for keep asking. Still learning unity.

Its just any other tree asset pack works out of the box with wind.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  19. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

"Its just any other tree asset pack works out of the box with wind." Which tree asset packs are you referring to?

The other tree packs I sell, when used with the shaders will have wind reactions/controls, because that is as a result of the shaders, not the meshes, albeit the vertex colouring is compliant.
    The main reason for the creation of Trees Gen03 Volume 01 was to use a 'combine mesh' asset, so the trees can be used with the terrain paint. Unity doesn't like multiple mesh models, even if they are nested on import. I tried combining the meshes prior to making them FBX format but again Unity won't work with those meshes.

With regard to the actual wind shaders and controller, I can only read from the same documentation you have, the Dev is very knowledgeable in this area.

20. Somamint

Somamint

I mean i was just trying to figure out what wrong and tried https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vegetation/trees/dream-forest-tree-105297 and https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/world-space-trees-free-shader-117088 and https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vegetation/trees/realistic-tree-9-rainbow-tree-54622. All of them working.

Your tree pack "Trees Gen03 Volume 01" work in Unity perfect but not ingame. So as i understood its the shader. But i'm out of knowledge. Thanks for your help. Maybe another pack later will work with wind in the game i want to mod. :)

21. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Can you say which game you are doing this mod for?

The hard part of creating trees for any VR platform is not getting wind to work as the vast majority use UV shaders for the heavy lifting, but how to create a recognisable tree species from the same template eachtime. All have a trunk, branches with leaves of some sort, yet their genes give each species unique properties, size, shape, bark, leaves and even seeds, matched to their environment.
    My goal when I began, was to try and recreate a selection of species to look believable. My other goal was to make them portable to almost any engine. Each engine uses bespoke importers, but it seems each only respect and import certain parts of the FBX format. The same goes for Exporters, they are not equal. For instance, if I export a tree as a FBX, Unreal complains of overlapping UV's, so I export as a OBJ and then choose whether to 1) Import direct as OBJ 2) Convert using Autodesk FBX converter 3) Take into Blender and export as FBX.
    Only option 3 keeps the original nested mesh groups, needed to separate the UV groups for light mapping, also I apply colliders to the Trunk structure not leaves.

Unity has/had its own inhouse Tree Creator, but once you use an editor base programme, it is unlikely you can export these to other platforms. In addition I have enough templates created and saved that give me the building blocks for a chosen species. I then seed the algorithms to create variety and uniqueness by not duplicating that seed number.

22. Somamint

Somamint

Sure the game called Isles of Adalar "https://store.steampowered.com/app/1112620/Isles_of_Adalar/" and the dev is really open and helpful on discord.

Your trees are really beautiful and i was planing to create a swamp. And you are the only one who has made some willow trees :) Maybe the dev can have a look and we figure our what wrong. The problem is that i'm very new with unity and modding. Thats why i'm really grateful for the asset store. I really want to see your trees alive in my project :)

23. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I have left a message for the DEV of the game, hopefully they will respond.

Did you try this asset? https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/world-space-trees-free-shader-117088, once imported into your scene, you can replace the Mtree shaders with these. I am not sure about alignment with vertices and offsets that the shader will use to mimic movement.

I will see if I can get the Unity wind to work with a suitable shader.

EDIT] Okay, spent the afternoon trying to work with the materials/shaders supplied with each of these products. From what I can see, none of them use a noise generator to give a sense of randomness to the seemingly predictable scaling and offsetting used within the scripts. Only one worked well with the Unity Wind controller but was so coarse in implementation it was hard to get fine detailed movement.

Speedtree uses a good quality wind generator for the materials, when set to Best, it looks very natural. However to use it, you have to pay around $19 a month subscription. I'm assuming you need to keep paying while your Mod uses the materials/wind controller live.

As the tree models in the packages you linked above, all use the inbuilt Unity Tree creator app, the structure of the trees is a bit crude in many ways, the resulting trees also can look unreal. I did try matching up the materials/shaders with a sample tree mesh I imported from one of my packs. Combined with the Unity Wind controller in the scene, would not make the leaves etc move at all.

The meshes I produce all use 3 nested meshes, 1 for the trunk/branches and 2 to host the leaves and branchlets. Except in the new Gen03 tree pack(s) as I wanted the trees to be able to use the Unity/Unreal terrain painting, which cannot work with 3 nested meshes, only a singular mesh, so I used a 'combine' mesh script to achieve that.
    The 3 mesh models can use separate wind controller scripts in each mesh, that can use different settings to create more randomness and reality as the outer trees of a forest sway more than the inner ones. Same with terrain, the more exposed, the more movement. That was the goal.

24. Somamint

Somamint

25. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

There are basically two types of 'wind' action on trees/plants, one is animated (which is fixed), the other is stretching and offsetting the vertices of the leaves using a shader, which is dynamic and controllable. The method I chose is the most common, the vertice shader.
    It works by using a vertice colour map to decide which is the most flexible portion of the polygon that can be offset to simulate movement. The Wind Controller used in Unity is basically only supplying information to any wind compliant model within the region, nothing more.

The main variance between engines can be what colours or greyscale to use. Some use a fading between black and white, some use black and another primary colour and some use a blend of colours to increase the range of movement, that is the one I use. I could make all the shaders work within Unity, your problem comes when you try and use the build as a Mod in another engine.
    It has nothing to do with the meshes I supply in my packs, just a particular oddity of 3rd party shaders complying with that particular engine you are porting to. I can confirm this as I use the exact same mesh models and textures in a wide variety of engines, including Unity and Unreal. The issue may lay with the engine you are porting to.

Have you tried setting up one of the other shaders and then porting the trees into your Mod?

26. Somamint

Somamint

Ok interesting. The game i mod is written in unity. I tried the other shaders. And with them the wind works but as i wrote, the leaves moving in strange directions not like realistic. But i will use your trees now without wind :)

27. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I did reach out to the developers of the game that you are importing the Mod to, to see if they can shed any light to the issues of vertices colour map offset shaders in Unity. Nothing has come back yet.

Have you tried any of the shaders as an export/import workflow that worked in the game engine? If so, I maybe able to work on a working profile that you can use within your own workflow.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  28. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

With some shaders that create 'wind', you have to check the offset of the material, some leaves/branchlets stand upright and have a 50% offset, all my trees use no offset as that gives greater compatibility.

29. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I am working on the next submission called TreesGen02_09
    It includes Coconut trees, Curly Palms and Banana trees. These are all unique trees created for this collection. It also comes with a Bunch of Bananas, Clump of Coconuts, Single Coconut, Clump of Dates that can be used to create greater realism.
    Unreal14.jpg

30. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

More screenshots:
    Unreal10.jpg

31. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

last one for now:
    Unreal17.jpg

32. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Another submission today, TreesGen02_10, consisting of 30 unique trees from 5 species, Beech, Birch, Elm, Maple and Oak. Some new shaders have been included along with maps for edge, displacement, metallic, smoothness, ao, normal and albedo (diffuse).
    1200x630TreesGen02_10.png
    Will post a link to the asset store once approved (which can take upto 4-6 weeks now)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  33. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

34. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Not sure the High Definition Rendering Pipeline will add more, unless you are using a powerful system (graphics card and HD Screen/Monitor) to view them.
    I may give it a go and showcase TreesGen02_10 here.

35. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I have tried the HDRP template and even with a lot of care, it doesn't really improve on the URP, it just takes less work.
    I have noticed that Unity in general uses negative bias height maps which in some cases can cause seams to split, I wish there were more control over that.
    In the HDRP I noticed that you cannot select HRP/Lit as a standard shader as it is not on the list.
    You can only have the standard UDRP/Lit shader if you use 'Create Material' it will create one, you just cannot change to it.

Edit: I discovered if you don't use the drop down selection but type Lit into the search, it will appear at the top.
    Screenshot (251).png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  36. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

A HD preview screenshot of one of my latest submissions. I created the whole scene using my own meshes, just to experiment and see what the packs would look like using the HDRP. Click for a larger view.
    Screenshot (243).jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  37. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I have been considering offering Alien Fauna. It is an area that is underwhelmed with products. Let me know what you think of this project.
    AlienFauna02.jpg

38. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I have added both Cone Whirls and Razur Leaf Clumps to the collection so far. The Razur Leaf Clumps can be used as a standalone or support product for the other plants.
    RazurLeafClumps.jpg

39. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Added another plant to the growing pack, it is called a HangingLumiGlobe, it can be used either hanging or pointing up, maybe using the Razur Leaf Clump as a base.

HangingLumiGlobe01.jpg

40. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Last one added to this pack, called Thorny Cup. I'll focus on preparing this for the long haul getting it onto the Asset Store.
    ThornyCup.jpg

41. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Added more content to the package and resubmitted it for approval.

Has now passed approval and is available HERE

Screenshot (355).jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  42. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Planning a release of the next generation of tree packs, using a different workflow. TreesGeno4 Pack01 Willows is the first release for submission.

Has now passed approval and is available HERE

WillowsScene01.jpg

43. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  44. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Just submitted for today, TreesGen03 series, this content is exclusive to Willows and is completely different models, materials and textures to other Gen03/04 offerings.

Now passed approval and is live HERE

Screenshot (408).jpg

45. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Submitted TreesGen04 Conifers01 today: 12 unique conifer trees, age range between 10-15 years. Other Conifer packs in the Gen04 range will include older unique versions.
    Screenshot (474).jpg

46. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Another couple of submissions due this weekend. The theme is Bushes from the Gen04 range.
    Screenshot (478).jpg Screenshot (487).jpg Screenshot (480).jpg Screenshot (485).jpg

47. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Submitted a new project yesterday for approval, TreesGen04_ElmSpinney01. It consists of 6 unique islands of Low Poly trees and bushes that can be dragged and dropped randomly to create a wooded scene quickly and cheaply.
    1200x630 Gen04_ElmSpinney01.png

48. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Latest submission today:
    BushGen04-Bushes03 from the Gen04 workflow range of products
    1950x1300 BushGen04_Bushes03.png

49. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

A FREE product submitted and awaiting approval.
    Gen04-Reeds-FREE
    1200x630 Gen04_Reeds01.png

50. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Gen04-CurlyPalms01 pack submitted for approval.

Now passed approval and is available HERE

1950x1300 Gen04_CurlyPalms01.png