Search Unity

Games Everything for Momo

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by lonehamster, Nov 7, 2018.

1. lonehamster

lonehamster

"Everything for Momo".

A witch who is too old to conjure the magic she needs to heal her black cat after falls ill takes off on a journey of healing.

I'm looking for help to get this running in Unity so if you're experienced with making top-down RPGs please shoot me a message. I'd be happy to pay. Follow the thread to see daily updates.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    TonyLi and alexanderameye like this.
  2. lonehamster

lonehamster

Here's the scene after all the pixel art was painted in. Again, looking to hire someone experienced to help code this game.

3. lonehamster

lonehamster

Here's is an in-progress concept shot of the kitchen. You can see our finalized sprite for witch character. Her name is Rin and she is a lovely woman. Hansel and Gretel should have stopped at her house instead. Still looking for a programmer to hire.

4. lonehamster

lonehamster

Here's our finished kitchen. Still looking for a programmer to hire.

5. JohnLabern

JohnLabern

You could try joining Heiny's Discord (https://twitter.com/heinyreimes), it has a 'Work' tab inside the server. You can post there anything in both colab-for-fun or work for revenue

6. lonehamster

lonehamster

Here's an early sketch for our title screen. We'll be fleshing it out but I wanted to share this early on so you can see how it develops.

7. lonehamster

lonehamster

8. lonehamster

lonehamster

Updated dining room! Probably going to add a few more details. The player isn't going to spend too much time in here so relatively straightforward.

alexanderameye likes this.
  9. Serinx

Serinx

I like the artwork, although the green is a bit overpowering in my opinion, is the colouring going to remain the same?

Can you describe the plans for gameplay?

10. lonehamster

lonehamster

Our animated title screen. There's still a bit more work to do with this including animating the birds, characters, and a couple of other things but I'm really happy with how this looks!

11. lonehamster

lonehamster

We're using the game boy aesthetic, with a few choice color expansions. It helps keep costs down and allow us to focus more effort on our character animations. The title screen is a good example of what a limited color choice lets us do with when it comes to expanded animations.

The game will be a narrative driven game similar to "To The Moon". We aren't planning any combat and the whole game would be 2-3 hours in length. The goal is brevity. Tell our story to player, touch their heart, and say goodbye.

eelstork likes this.
  12. Serinx

Serinx

That's cool! I respect that, maybe I'll just turn down the saturation on my monitor :p

That's nice, I like short story games. I'm looking forward to your updates!

13. lonehamster

lonehamster

Love how this is turning out...

14. lonehamster

lonehamster

Finally finished!

15. lonehamster

lonehamster

Character concept for Rin. We're going with an old school 90's anime look. This is my dream project!

alexanderameye and Serinx like this.
  16. lonehamster

lonehamster

And here's the adorable, fluffy, cuddleballs we call Momo!

hippocoder and alexanderameye like this.
  17. lonehamster

lonehamster

Finished Kitchen!

18. lonehamster

lonehamster

Still looking for a programmer btw.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you need a programmer, really? In 2019.2, visual scripting arrives for Unity, won't be too long now and you'll be able to just handle it yourself. Or use playmaker on asset store...

It seems like a simple and lovely game that does not require experienced development or scammers and the like, hence my recommendation with visual scripting. Forums would help you surmount any problems - especially a game without complexity.

alexanderameye and lonehamster like this.
  20. lonehamster

lonehamster

Bedroom Concept Art.

hippocoder likes this.
  21. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I'm not your target audience, but I would like color better. But really nice pixel art! Good job

lonehamster likes this.
  22. lonehamster

lonehamster

Bedroom in progress.

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think I'd prefer color, too, especially considering the nice coloring on your concept art of Rin. But I'm honestly not sure. Lucas Pope successfully went monochrome with Obra Dinn.

Have you considered using Adventure Creator? You could get very far, maybe even finish the whole game, without a programmer. It does everything -- menus, scene changes, character movement, interaction, dialogue, inventory, saved games, etc. And it's programmer friendly should you need a programmer in the future. It has a very active community, too.

hippocoder and lonehamster like this.
  24. lonehamster

lonehamster

The major reason we're doing monochromatic is because I'm loading up the game with a bunch of pixel art cut-scenes and animations. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to many of these animations and having them reworked again and again would become much more expensive compared to doing it with 5 color sprites. My budget is limited at the moment so other than the in-color pixel art character concepts, we don't have much of a choice than to work with a constrained palette. It sucks but it is what it is. I still loving the results we're getting.

We might either do a crowdfunding campaign to redo the art assets in color or we might release on a single platform to start and using the money we make from that release, reinvest back into the game for a color release and release that version to other platforms. Double-dipping I guess but we'd basically be remaking the graphics of the game from scratch in that case.

@hippocoder Suggested I look at Playmaker to start. I'm going to watch some tutorials and see what I can do on my own. Thanks for the link to Adventure Creator. Once I'm done watching the Playmaker tutorials, I'll check out Adventure Creator as well.

25. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hippocoder's suggestion of PlayMaker is an excellent general suggestion. Given the type of game you're making, I think Adventure Creator will more closely fit the bill. It provides all the features that you'd have to build yourself in PlayMaker, and those features are polished and tested with lots of games.

26. lonehamster

lonehamster

Dang! I just missed the sale!

Does Unity do any Christmas sales?

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

Unfortunately, I don't think they do. The next big sale is probably late spring.

But Adventure Creator is well worth its regular price, especially if you consider the thousands of dollars you'd need to pay a freelancer to reproduce the same features. I don't mean to sound like a shill. I get nothing out of it. I just think it's a good fit for your game.

28. lonehamster

lonehamster

When it all goes wrong...

29. lonehamster

lonehamster

Finished bedroom. I think we'll probably post art for the rest of the house and stop there in order to avoid spoiling important plot points. I'm pretty excited about the creative locations the team is planning out but considering how small this game is going to be that I don't want to ruin it all so early in development.