Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Everyplay Service Shutdown Notice

Discussion in 'Unity Everyplay' started by ullatussimo, Apr 19, 2018.

1. ullatussimo

ullatussimo

Unity Technologies

Dear game developers,

With most sincere apologies, Unity will be closing down the Everyplay service by October 1st, 2018. Effective immediately, Everyplay will no longer be accepting new games.

Due to recent market changes, the service has come to an end. We want to thank you all for the passion and innovation you have shown over the years by the myriad of clever integrations. Unfortunately, it is not viable to keep the service alive as the server costs have grown to an unsustainable level, and the service itself produces no revenue.

Q: What does it mean that Everyplay Service is shut down on October 1st, 2018?
    A: In short, we will shut down our video hosting servers and the Everyplay portal on that date. No new video uploads will be possible, nor can any old videos be viewed. In June 2018 we will release a final version of the SDK that grants you access to the raw video files produced during recording. Any old SDK versions will be obsolete after October 1st 2018. If you want to continue using Everyplay in your game after this, you must update to the final SDK version.

Q: I have videos in my community profile that are important to me. What will happen to them? Can I save them somehow?
    A: You can download the videos to your local machine from the Everyplay portal. You should do this before the videos are removed on October 1st.

Q: What will happen before October 1st, 2018? Will the service continue to function normally?
    A: Here’s a short timeline on what will happen during the shutdown period:

FROM MAY 25TH UNTIL OCTOBER 1ST:
    The service will be running normally during this time period. We are following the basic principles of GDPR (effective from May 25th) and handle potential data requests from players.

JUNE 2018:
    We will release a final Everyplay SDK on developers.everyplay.com that grants access to local replay files and provides fixes to recording on some Android devices. With it you can continue empowering user generated video content in your games.

OCTOBER 2018:
    All remaining Everyplay services will be closed. The final Everyplay SDK will still be available, but development is stopped.

We want to thank you for developing games with Everyplay. We assure you that Unity will continue to have an emphasis on social gaming in the future. Stay tuned for our developments regarding Multiplayer, Unity Connect and other Community features.

If you have any questions, you can reach us via support@everyplay.com.

Best regards,
    The Everyplay Team

2. Pelican_7

Pelican_7

A shame to hear but thanks to the Everyplay team for all the hard work over the years!
    Where is the option to download all community videos in the portal? I have ~19000 to download… o_O

andy.

SoerenL likes this.
  3. SoerenL

SoerenL

Exactly where do we download them please ?
    Can users download, or is it only developers ?
    Would be nice to also notify the users that their videos will be deleted and that they'll have to download them.
    Let's say I download all videos from my channel, and a user, in a years time asks me for a video that they uploaded: Will there be a way for me to identify which video I should send to the user (assuming that they still have the link to the video) ?

Edit: just found that anybody can download indiviual videos by right clicking on them, but I have the same issues as Pelican_7.. I would like to just download all of them ?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. MaciejKrzykwa

MaciejKrzykwa

Will the final Everyplay SDK have:
    1) edit video tools as it currently has?
    2) a share button to easily upload to YouTube?

I would be happy if the only change for my players will be to upload to their YouTube channels instead of the Everyplay portal.

lsw5530 likes this.
  5. 00christian00

00christian00

I was expecting this to happen since a long time. A blog should be made at least, I barely saw this.

Any chance we could have the source code of the plugin?

User340 likes this.
  6. MePhone

MePhone

Will this be announced to the community soon publicly? They have a right to know, not just game developers.

7. Pelican_7

Pelican_7

I believe they are planning to announce to the community this week. From an email sent out yesterday:

8. aurorakb

aurorakb

Really sorry to hear about the closure. Everyplay has been a great inspiration for us as we built megacool.co to support game developers who were looking for something in between screenshot sharing and long video recordings.

9. yasirkula

yasirkula

Pelican_7 likes this.
  10. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

Hi @ullatussimo !!

The very first time an user downloads an app that has your sdk and tries to record some video he has to be connected to internet, so theres some communication between the everyplay sdk on the app and your servers. After the 1st time theres no need to be connected to the internet and he can continue recording normally.

Whats happening after 1 october if your servers are shutting down? the new users that download an app with everyplay sdk (even the final one) wont be able to record??

Thanks

11. ullatussimo

ullatussimo

Unity Technologies

Hello @Archviz3d ,

Thanks for your message.

Correct, until the Everyplay SDK has had a chance to contact our servers, the recording will not be activated for the device. This is because the SDK requests the optimal recording configuration for the specific device on this call.

As for your concern regarding the server shutdown, we will continue to support these initialization calls despite the servers being otherwise shut down. So, recording will continue to work even on new installs after October 1st.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Simo

Archviz3d likes this.
  12. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

Hi @ullatussimo ,

Thanks so much for the quick answer :)

Thats awesome!!!

Cheers