Search Unity

1. How can our website serve you better? Give us your feedback. Take our survey and let us know.
    Dismiss Notice

Everybody looks at threads here but doesn't reply-

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valkronos, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valkronos

Valkronos

I mean, I'm seeing some threads with literally thousands of views and 0 replies. Some with tens of thousands with only 3 or so replies, like seriously? Reply to threads, people...

2. steego

steego

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's because some of the questions are so general that you can tell the person who wrote it didn't even bother to try to find out the answer for themselves. They just want to post a question, and have the answer and code given to them without any effort on their part. This just leads to them continuously posting and trying to get people to make their game for them piecemeal.

Most of those questions wouldn't need to be asked if the person would just go view the tutorials, and actually do them. Actually put at least a little effort into figuring out what they need to do, and how to do it.

4. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

I agree with Jaimi. People needs to use search before asking question.

zombiegorilla and hippocoder like this.
  5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

As you have already identified these threads why not start replying to them? A lot of us already reply to posts on here trying to help people nearly every day.

6. elbows

elbows

I notice you started another thread in this general forum that was asking a technical question. This is the wrong forum for that, as per the forum description:

It was also a very vague question, just the sort that often don't get responded to.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is the quality of reply you get if you insist everyone who looks at a thread replies to it.

So yeah, lets not go down this path.

8. goat

goat

The OP is right but trying to blame it on the poster's laziness rather then the general forum user being actually unable or unwilling to offer useful help isn't helpful. The fact that their are so many views points to people wasting time rather than seeking to be productive or helpful.

Yesterday, I answered a few questions in short order that only a experienced Unity user would quickly know how to answer but am I as a low knowledge Unity hobbyist going to monitor forum threads and answer these questions? No.

It was said that these are easy questions but to a beginner figuring out why your meshes are magenta isn't intuitive, obvious, or easy. It is the way it is and it could have been designed so many other ways. That's the problem most beginners have in using computers, it's not that they are lazy or dumb. I have the same difficulties learning foreign languages.

Fact is, experienced programmers don't want to answer beginner questions but want to show off their knowledge with what are perceived to be difficult questions or display their expertise in other ways.

Now gossiping in the forums is a whole different matter, there are no shortage of responses.

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Darn it, I looked at this thread again. Guess you want another post.

10. goat

goat

Touché

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That little alert button come up again, and now I'm back. I guess the point I'm trying to make is not all of those thousands of views are unique. Nor do all of those thousands of views have a valid point to contribute to the question.

It can get really odd when google picks an empty thread to display at the top of the search results. This means the thread can get thousand of views from beginners with the same problem. We don't want every beginner with the same question responding either. Its entirely possible the thread was never seen by veterans. Threads on answers and the scripting section get buried in a few hours on a busy day.

As to the more general question about why don't veteran's answer every newbie question that comes along I ask the following. "What do the veterans get for it?" Think about it. This is why many of the answers on UA or the scripting section are from mid level coders. That's the group that has the most to gain from solidifying their understanding of basic scripting concepts.

Highly experienced coders really only gain anything from answering difficult questions. There are very few of these, as they tend to get drowned out by the flood of google illiterate newb questions.

12. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

i like unicorns

ogike, zombiegorilla and Whippets like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity