Search Unity

Every Single ReservedName By Unity

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Shaltna, Apr 28, 2021.

?

Was this helpful at all?

1. Pfffft. Are you serious? Obviously not. I'm not a programmer.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Eeehh... I'm here to see the results. I don't care one way or another.

100.0%
  3. No. Just ... No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm new to programing. So, not yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm learning Unity's side. So it could theoretically help me 49% of the times I need help.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm eager to know more about Unity's code. This helps at least 51% of the times I seek out aid.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I know quite a bit, so yes; Finding things such as what I don't know is a huge step for me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Absolutely! I thought I knew everything Unity has to offer. This has proved me wrong. Thank you!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shaltna

Shaltna

Many of us here do what we can to write our scripts, but what the majority of us don't 100% recall is the massive library of Unity's entire list of reserved names. What I have in mind for this thread is to grow an accumulation of only reserved names that we as the noob programmer or the professional official can use as a quick reference guide. This is just a fast and contingent way for checking that you don't accidentally use a reserved name that is not meant to be used and understand it when we do want to use it. We can then later on hyperlink these reserved names to Unity's API or Manual if we choose so, but for now let's start keep with what we have for now. It would be nice if this thread could be a group effort because of how massive this is, but I too will put all of my effort available from my abilities, into this.

If we can keep it alphabetical, that would be most appreciated. For example, this link by Microsoft (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/) lists many Keywords which are C# oriented ReservedNames. They too organized it in alphabetical order. For the time being, I am making a list to later share. Once built, I will post all that I know to this thread. Don't be shy to repeat or comment something any time, after all Unity is huge. Just please, do try to keep what you say in the comments related to the thread. We creators all deserve some kind of aid for us to help ourselves.

2. I have a counter-offer, it is less work:

- use namespaces, they invented it just for this
    - name your classes as specific as possible, avoid generic names

And you'll be fine. And if you find that you used some important unity class name in your own file, you can just rename it instead of maintaining a second Unity Scripting Reference.

3. Shaltna

Shaltna

I'm particularly doing this for a visual scope and quick reference. It is easier to have a quick glance at a photo than it is to search up a word within a dictionary.

4. Baste

Baste

Unity doesn't have any reserved names the way C# does. You can't add your own ones.

Your list won't be useful even at a quick glance, as there would be so many thousand names to scroll through that it'd be faster to just write the name and check if it compiles.

If you have a collision with a class name or variable name that already exists, the compiler error that's right there in your IDE or console is very clear on what's going on.