Search Unity

Question Event parameter operations for numeric (sum, avg) are not available in the new data explorer

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by arhodar, Nov 25, 2021.

1. arhodar

arhodar

We had a custom event that was sent anytime the user change scene with a parameter that contains the time in seconds the player has been in the scene. With the sum operation available in the legacy Analytics we were able to sum all that values and see which is the most visited scene. How is that supposed to be calculated no? Is it going to be implemented?

2. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. The new Analytics product is still in beta and we are working hard to extend its features and capabilities. The ability to build reports based on aggregates of custom event parameters is something we are looking into as we recognize how important it is.

The Data Explore will currently let you identify which scene gets the most visits, if you create a report based on the scene entry event and group the results by the scene name if will display each scene as a seperate reporting group. But as you say, you won't be able to meaure the visit duration per scene until we are able to offer aggregated parmeter metrics.

e.g.
    upload_2021-11-25_14-40-49.png

I've added your voice to the feature request, please let us know if you run into anything else.

regards,
    Laurie

3. arhodar

arhodar

Hi Laurie, the problem is that we now have to give the client the project with the legacy analytics until you add that feature to the new data explorer, so its very frustrating. Also, what happens with the custom events sent to in the legacy backend when we migrate to the new analytics system? Are they lost?

4. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I can totally appreciate your frustration that that the new Analytics solution doesn't support aggregated measures yet and that you will have to stick with the Legcy Analytics solution on this project for now. It is something we are looking into.

At present any standard events, recorded since July 2021 with the legacy Analytics system, will be visible in the old and new Anlalytics tools, you will have continuity in them as you swap out the old integration for the new SDK. However, we don't currently have that continuity for custom events. As it stands today, custom events recorded with legacy analytics will only be visible in the legacy analytics dashboard and custom events recorded with the new SDK will only be visible in the new Analytics tools. This is a limitation that we are aware and are investigating to see if there is anything we can do to improve the migration process.

5. arhodar

arhodar

Ok Laurie, thanks for your fast answer. Do you have any ETA about the aggregated measures?

6. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Sorry, I don't have an ETA, but we will be updating the individual product pages and making annnouncements in the forum as soon as we have anything we can share. I'll be sure to let you know when I have any news.

unity_Ctri likes this.
  7. Pierre-Unity

Pierre-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Arhodar,

We're currently designing the feature to let you aggregate the results on the parameter value. We'd love to get you on a call with our design team so you can provide feedback on the current flow and design we're thinking of. If you're up for it, could you dm me your email so we can schedule a call? : )

Cheers

SebT_Unity likes this.
  8. snotbubblelou

snotbubblelou

I am in a similar boat here. I am sending out runtime performance data as custom events (frame rate as specific game events). My sample size is very low <500 events in this alpha test. While it would be great to get graph plotting at the parameter level of the custom events. I really just need the ability to export all events of the specific custom event type.

I submitted a support request to get this data as directed by https://docs.unity.com/analytics/FAQ.html
    ----------
    Can I export data
    This is not self-serve and you'll need to contact customer support for more information.
    ----------

any help with getting an export of these events would be greatly appreciated

9. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey there,

I've replied with some more details to your Data Export question in this other thread.

But it sounds like your specific use case can be most likely be achieved in the Dashboard with the SQL Data Explorer tool, this might save you the effort of exporting the data to another tool, or waiting until aggregate capabilities are added to the Data Explorer.

If you can share the details of your custom events or DM me a link it in your Event Manager tool and provide a bit more detail on the specific reports you want to see, I may be able to advise.

10. AkshaySudheer

AkshaySudheer

Hi @Laurie-Unity, @Pierre-Unity

Could anyone please update me on where we are at implementing the aggregated parameters in Data Explorer?
    If this is already done, kindly direct me as I'm not able to find it.

I believe this is a very basic feature any analytics dashboard should have. Any events that record durations or count any in-game parameters go useless without this feature.

lumeriith likes this.
  11. lumeriith

lumeriith

Bump. There seems to be no way to aggregate on parameter values in Data Explorer. To my short understanding this basically renders numeric parameters useless unless we'd opt in using SQL Data Explorer. If I'm wrong about this please shed me a light and let me know.

Edit: Found an article regarding this issue. Apparently UA got out of beta without this feature... I'd really appreciate if someone has any info about road map or planned release date.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ugs...er-functions-gone-from-data-explorer.1248586/

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    Menyus777 likes this.
  12. Menyus777

Menyus777

After finally deciding to start using the UGS rather then competitors (Azure, GPGS etc...) I was baffled that this basic feature is not available. We set-up every event, designed their properties just to realize there is no way to do anything useful with time values. I would also love to see a road-map as this is really an extremely basic feature for metrics/analytics..

Danshiel likes this.
  13. Menyus777

Menyus777

So I found out you can write SQL queries!
    Yesterday evening I quickly put up a dashboard and could achieve what I wanted.
    upload_2023-11-2_10-22-32.png
    (Average time is calculated from a specific event's property)

However for a simple query like this I already hit the fair usage limit...

Code (CSharp):
    1. SELECT avg(matchTime) AS "Average match time", avg(timeSpentHiding) AS "Average hiding time", avg(timeSpentAlive) AS "Average alive time", EVENT_DATE AS "Day"
    2. FROM (SELECT EVENT_JSON:matchTime::FLOAT AS matchTime, EVENT_JSON:timeSpentHiding::FLOAT AS timeSpentHiding, EVENT_JSON:timeSpentAlive::FLOAT AS timeSpentAlive, EVENT_DATE
    3. FROM EVENTS
    4. WHERE EVENT_NAME = 'GameSession_Competitive_Duel_Ended' AND EVENT_DATE>current_date-30
    5. )
    6. GROUP BY EVENT_DATE
    upload_2023-11-2_10-15-22.png

Also with two custom events I'm already at 1.3% with 2 MAU. (The two customer events are for game session start and end for 18 game sessiona cross the two test users)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    Danshiel likes this.