Search Unity

Eternal loading when opening script. Stuck on "ProjectBrowser.OnGUI.mouseDown".

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by PeterrificHC, Feb 3, 2021.

1. PeterrificHC

PeterrificHC

When trying to open up a script through the editor by double clicking it, a loading window pops up and gets stuck saying "ProjectBrowser.OnGUI.mouseDown". I have no idea what this means. A similar loading message appears when selecting a script and clicking the "Open" button in the inspector.
    I'm working in Unity 2020.2.2f1.

Here's a picture of the loading window.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Chrisx97, threeleavesgames and Celezt like this.
  2. const_cast

const_cast

Same here. Using Unity 2020.2.2f1 on Windows 10. Get this when trying to open a prefab by double clicking on it in the Project view.

Edit: Same issue in Unity 2020.2.3f1.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Chrisx97 and threeleavesgames like this.
  3. threeleavesgames

threeleavesgames

Guys my Issues was cleared by deleting a file called ShaderCache.db inside Library folder
    this file became very huge and was causing this problems

4. Minotoror

Minotoror

Didn't work for me

5. Minotoror

Minotoror

Just rebooted and it worked again. But I suggest that if it happens to you often just open the script directly in windows.

6. mariagiulia17081995

mariagiulia17081995

Deleting the ShaderCache.db worked! Thank you for the help!

TheDevloper likes this.
  7. lukaszkowalski2013_unity

lukaszkowalski2013_unity

You saved my life with this solution (the ShaderCache.db monster file got 23 gb...).

Worked at Unity LTR 2020.3.0f1

8. Dynamicarts123

Dynamicarts123

guys, I tried the method but it dint work for me (shader cache takes up to 600KB)(library file 200MB)

Attached Files:

Mythran and P_Jong like this.
  9. Dynamicarts123

Dynamicarts123

please help
    i cant open scripts in other projects.( the screen just freezes)

10. Dynamicarts123

Dynamicarts123

updating my project to the latest unity version worked for me

11. rachow1

rachow1

oh man I was having this problem all last semester, the exact same script. Happened with multiple versions of Unity (2019 and up) both 2017 and 2019 VS, and on multiple projects. I thought it was just my computer being a pain but good to know its a common one. It randomly stopped happening for me for a few projects on 2020.3.9f1 and now I'm getting it on a brand new project again -_-

on the brightside it finished as I was typing this (~5 minute wait) vs what I had to deal with on my capstone (~3 hours) so... progress? is it just big library files that are bogging it down?

12. Suspenseblue31

Suspenseblue31

I have the same problem, it started when i update to the version Unity 3.10, i tried to delete the file but it appear again when i use the program and it only works for a while. I tried to uninstall that version and return to 3.8 but still happen. I don´t know what to do, i really need to make the game, is my test for my proyect, please, if someone know how to fixed, i hope they can post it here. By the way, i found a folder with the same name like the other file, should i delete that too?

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  13. RIDENTEM

RIDENTEM

If you have your project saving inside of OneDrive try moving it to a different folder outside of it.
    Once I moved it away from OneDrive the script opened up successfully!

nsikan0000 and RAVENSBOURNELOG like this.
  14. TheLastHylian

TheLastHylian

This fixes it. If your project is in the Documents folder OneDrive can cause this issue. Make sure your project is not in a folder OneDrive is looking at and the issue is completely gone.

RAVENSBOURNELOG likes this.
  15. SAmiRS

SAmiRS

These solutions did not help me.

Until finding solution, you can Ctrl + Alt + Del, and end task on Unity Editor (but not the one which is not responding), rather one which is taking most CPU power. If you end task on the main (not responding) your Unity will simply exit. But if you end task on the other one with 10+15% CPU power (and not "not responding") the error will disappear until the next time.

16. pball1346

pball1346

I'm still currently having this problem with a rather large project, but my problem starts when I am trying to edit a different scene inside of the editor. I found that the only way for me to switch scenes without getting this bug is to remove HDRP from my project, restart Unity, ignore the errors going in, and finally reimplementing HDRP. I personally do not understand it but I have to do this every time to edit a different scene.

Occurs in Unity 2021.1.23f1 and Unity 2020.3.19f1
    The project is not in OneDrive.
    Removing the library and restarting does not work.
    Reinstalling Unity and Visual Studios does not work.
    Different projects do not contain the same bug.

Semi-Fix:

Opening scene as an additive seems to not bug the editor.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  17. RSH1

RSH1

Just started getting this dialog as well as the "Reloading Script Assemblies" thing after any changes to the code.

• Unity 2020.3.20f1
    • ShaderCache.db is only 16kb
    • Project folder not located in OneDrive
    • Restarting does not work

Vaupell likes this.
  18. hippogames

hippogames

+1 2020.3.21f1

19. frankkubrick3

frankkubrick3

Hey guys I'm still getting this problem but signing out of onedrive and ctrl alt deleting onedrive stopped it from doing ProjectBrowser.OnGUI.mouseDown indefinitely, hope this helps as this is a very frustrating issue

TheDevloper likes this.
  20. Yolothan2

Yolothan2

Look in your library folder and check what file is far too large. For me it was the ArtifactDB file. Delete it and restart Unity. Fixed it for me

21. pokryshkin

pokryshkin

Hey, I had exactly the same problem.
    There was another "dead" process, in my case: Outlook could not finish some background tasks. So I killed Outlook process and it worked for me.

22. jimfhurley

jimfhurley

Not sure if this will help anyone, but you can just delete your entire Library folder as opposed to searching for the large file. Unity will rebuild the folder.

23. thebarryman

thebarryman

I'm having this issue in 2021.2.8f1 as well. Would like to avoid deleting the Library folder and reimporting the entire project if possible.

24. thebarryman

thebarryman

I was able to work around the issue by restarting my computer!

25. Dragonlord-555

Dragonlord-555

It works best if you update your project to the 2021.1.13 version. That's what I did and I haven't had a problem since.

26. themushroomdragon

themushroomdragon

I'm on v2021.3.2f1, tried everything and still stuck on eternal loading. is there anything else I can do?

27. densy07

densy07

+2020.3.34f1c2

28. Perrorist

Perrorist

I'm having this issue too. The message says it's "Waiting for Unity's code in UnityEditor.CoreModule.dll to finish executing."

29. real2B

real2B

I get this issue in 2021.3.6f1, when I try open it in any way the CoreModule.dll or something just gets stuck. Once I close Unity with Task Manager my entire laptop (Asus TUF FX705dy) goes all weird - File Explorer is really slow and I have to restart. I'm trying to progress in Lesson 1.2 Pedal to the Metal but I can't because of the damn error. What do I do?

30. daveMennenoh

daveMennenoh

I'm on 2021.3.8f1 and getting this trying to open a script. Damn Unity can be frustrating.

31. daveMennenoh

daveMennenoh

That would be nice, but no. I'm on 2021.3.8f1 and cannot open any scripts because of this. It just hangs forever until I have to use Task Manager to quit. Currently my project is dead in the water because of this. Really makes me want to get better at C and switch to Unreal.

32. Duffey

Duffey

When ever I try to open a script within the editor by clicking on it, i get the "projectBroser.MouseDown" dialog or some other dialog like "Menu.Open" and it just sets there "Waiting fro Unity's code to finish executing." I have to exit Unity through Task Manager. This happens with a new project with a new, empty script added as soon as I click on the script to open it, VS never opens at all. I have tried opening VS then the editor, but no Joy there either.

Using Win 10, In external tools, I have VS 2022 select for opening script files, but I have tried with VS 2019 too.

Using Hub 3.3.0, and I just updated to Unity version 2021.3.10f1. Still not working. Tried all remedies on this post, still cant get Unity Editor and VS to work together.

Really hope there is a solution soon :(

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    xodennisxo likes this.
  33. Vaupell

Vaupell

took a LTS project and moved to 2022..
    IT went from waiting on mousedown to mouseup.. WTF..
    In 2021 LTS
    upload_2022-10-12_23-1-18.png

In 2022...
    upload_2022-10-12_23-1-7.png

34. nsikan0000

nsikan0000

Thank you, This worked for me too!

35. egeres

egeres

I'm having almost the same issue in Unity 2022.1.20f1, but with "SceneView.MouseDown". Nonetheless, CoreModule.dll is stuck

upload_2022-10-27_19-4-15.png

36. Bamboidski

Bamboidski

Same thing after creating a new script and opening it from editor. Takes 2-3 minutes. Weird.
    Restarting Unity seem to helped.
    2021.3.14f1

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  37. cmatias

cmatias

Hi. I was struggling with it since yesterday after updating Unity to 2021.3.14.f1.
    Back to 2021.3.13.f1, the problem is still there.
    For some projects, Updating packages and deleting the content of the Library folder solved the issue, but I'm still stuck with this issue with one of my projects when opening a C# file...

Code (CSharp):
    1. projectbrowser.mousedown
    2. waiting for unity's code in UnityEditor.CoreModule.dll when visual studio not opened

38. andrerotondo

andrerotondo

So, this just started tonight with my project. I figured it was a windows issue, as EVERY time windows 10 wants me to update, it screws up anything I am working on, forcing me to shutdown, and that is when I see UPDATE and Shutdow or Update and Restart. However, after updating, the problem continued. I solved it, and it had NOTHING to do with anything said above my post. In my case, my Outlook was stuck trying to shutdown when windows forced me to shutdown.

I Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut down the Outlook process. Visual Studio IMMEDIATELY opened up in edit mode for my script. I closed VS, created a new script in Unity, double-clicked it, and VS opened it immediately .

In my case it seems Windows strikes again.

A777V likes this.
  39. Gilles_Baroin

Gilles_Baroin

Worked : I just deleted the library folder in the project directory, restarted

hippogames likes this.
  40. daveMennenoh

daveMennenoh

Seven months later and I wish even more I could switch to Unreal. Unity is garbage lately with all the bugs and no fixing of things broken forever. Unfortunately my current job is unity.

DavidTuck and Davkar688 like this.
  41. Buruchaga

Buruchaga

The problem is that the Unity editor cannot communicate with VS very well. So go onto your drive and locate where your Unity project is stored. Locate where the scripts are stored and open them from there.

42. Gilles_Baroin

Gilles_Baroin

updating visual studio 2019 did the trick
    2020.3.26f1

43. hazem17

hazem17

Hello, i had the same problem using unity 2020.3.0f, every time i tried to build it was stuck on the same message "onMouseUp", the problem turned out to be my oculus quest was connected via oculus link, hope this helped anyone.

44. DavidTuck

DavidTuck

Absolutely! It hasn't worked for our company at all. No support, raised prices and buggy software. This issue is the least of what we've dealt with but its been added to the list. Thankfully we bought a handful of licenses for a pilot program and didn't commit to the 65+ licenses we planned. I seriously doubt we will even talk about re-signing in January.