Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

ETA on supporting Point Light shadows for LWRP?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Creepgin, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Creepgin

Creepgin

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    QuigsBigSpecGames likes this.
  2. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

So far looking like we will have time to get it done before the end of the year early next year, the last month we have been working on stabilising the public API so we can go forwards without breaking peoples projects(we will be breaking projects soon). Once this update is out, which should be this week we will start looking at the high level bugs and then move onto fixing up some of the base features such as additional shadow casting for spots(and the atlasing) then once 19.1 Beta comes out we will look into point light shadows.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    deab, Gekigengar and Creepgin like this.
  3. Creepgin

Creepgin

Awesome. Thanks for the detailed roadmap! I think Point Light shadows is the only hard requirement for my future project that will use LWRP. Glad to know it will be worked on.

4. rizu

rizu

5. Laumania

Laumania

...so it's July 2019 - and if I'm not mistaken this still isn't supported - any plans on supporting it?

:)

foxnne likes this.
  6. QuigsBigSpecGames

QuigsBigSpecGames

Hi there,
    I would also like an update to this one please?

depart likes this.
  7. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

I'm still waiting for this, pointlight with shadow.

Alvarezmd90, segant and depart like this.
  8. Alvarezmd90

Alvarezmd90

Yeah point light shadowing is very crucial, even if it's suppose to be a lightweight render pipeline.

Matt-Cranktrain likes this.
  9. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

I'm very keen on both point light shadowing and having more than one directional light cast shadows.

I agree, but it's also no longer the 'lightweight' render pipeline, it's the 'universal' render pipeline. So your point would stand strongly if it were still the LWRP, but it stands even stronger now it's meant to be for both mobile platforms and desktop/laptop platforms (and Nintendo Switch and whatever else).

Of course, anyone can just use one directional light to cast shadows, or not using point light shadows, and voila, they're back to the emphasis on 'lightweight'. But having that freedom to land anywhere between low-def and med-def without migrating to the HDRP would be ideal.

In any case, I imagine the Universal team are on this already, or will be after Camera Stacking. Some official roadmap would be very helpful, of course...

deab and Alvarezmd90 like this.
  10. elbows

elbows

There is one, that is linked to in the FAQ section of the documentation. However I would describe it as out of date, eg its still talking about 2019.1 and 2019.2 in future tense and does not reflect the name change to Universal either.

https://portal.productboard.com/8ufdwj59ehtmsvxenjumxo82/tabs/3-lightweight-render-pipeline

(from FAQ at https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.0/manual/faq.html )

11. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

Yes, I should have clarified - an up-to-date roadmap or even just a set of estimates/hopes/not-quite-promises would be helpful. That particular Productboard seems to have been written in late 2018 since it's talking about 2019.1 in the future tense! (Also, no mention of Stacked Camera which was clearly prioritised earlier this year, to the credit of the LWRP team.)

Actually, the most recent roadmap I've seen for LWRP was this one from back in March, for GDC (scroll down to page 80 for LWRP stuff.) It sets out 2019.2 as the arrival date for Camera Stacking and an increase in the light limit for Directional lights. Obviously, that slipped, but "optimised post-processing" for 2019.3 did indeed just ship in the Alpha.

Unity's rebranding of LWRP to Universal RP is probably much more than simply Find-And-Replace name change, and rather reflects some deeper shifts in the plans for this rendering pipeline longterm - and as such both these previous roadmaps aren't super-helpful.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next set of URP features that are coming.

12. elbows

elbows

I mention the out of date roadmap in part with the hope that it provokes someone from Unity to update it!

Camera Stacking is listed on it, in the Mid Term section.

In terms of Unity Roadmap talk stuff, there is at least one later set of slides out there somewherre (I dont have a link handy right now), I forget from which month but probably June.

Not sure about that, maybe, but not necessarily. Devil is in details of what differences would be anyway, And to be honest I suspect it was largely a 'name perception' thing that caused Unity to rename LWRP - I expect they did some research and decided that the old name was getting in the way of the sort of rate of adoption they wanted to see.

13. elbows

elbows

14. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

I saw both those bits earlier today! It's really great news, especially the appearance of the multiple directional lights pull request, since that hasn't previously been confirmed as an in-progress task.

(Obviously, I'm really keen to have multiple directional lights cast shadows - my project requires just two - and to see real-time shadows reach point lights too. But this is all one-step-at-a-time stuff, and I'm glad to see things progress.)

15. apt-utvikler

apt-utvikler

Any news here? Still the one thing keeping my team and I from fully investing in the LWRP.

16. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

The multiple directional lights pull request got merged into master a little while ago which means that'll be present in the next URP release, probably for 2019.3 release.

Publicly visible work on the camera stacking branch has been quiet recently, but I just can't imagine it being anything other than the highest priority for the URP team.

I haven't heard anything about Point Light Shadows, my personal suspicion is that that'll be only available in the Deferred rendering mode that's coming for Unity 2020. Very happy to be proved wrong though if it does arrive for Forward as well (in fact, please do!)

17. Creepgin

Creepgin

Looking at the repo for universal, it doesn't look like point light shadows will arrive in 2020.1. So my prediction is mid or late next year.

18. elbows

elbows

Its way too early to ascertain 2020.1 stuff from the version 8.x stuff that is on github so far. That version has only recently begun/appeared in public on github. And probably only appeared when it did because alpha versions of 2020.1 Unity editor got released.