Search Unity

ETA on Box2D weld joint?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by shoffing, Feb 24, 2015.

1. shoffing

shoffing

I think it's kind of silly that the weld joint isn't implemented yet, when it's arguably the most basic joint. I've been using HingeJoint2Ds with the angular limits set to 0 as an alternative in the mean time, and they have a tenancy to glitch out quite often. When can we expect to see a WeldJoint2D implemented?

juanitogan likes this.
  2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

This will be added early in the 5.x cycle along with other joints.

shoffing likes this.
  3. jeffweber

jeffweber

Is there any updated ETA on the weld joint?

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I don't have an ETA for you, sorry. I should add, you will still get this in the early 5.x product cycle.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hey guys, I'm sorry to bump this and I totally don't mean to be rude or something, but what exactly is considered the 'early 5.x product cycle'? I really could use that joint.

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It's already in 5.3 as a FixedJoint2D component along with three other joints from Box2D: TargetJoint2D (b2MouseJoint), RelativeJoint2D (b2MotorJoint) & FrictionJoint2D (b2FrictionJoint). That release also introduces breakable joints (for all joints), a buoyancy effector, configurable density for colliders, auto-anchor calculations, auto-distance for distance/spring joints and auto-angle for the slider joint.

You can find out more details about that release on our RoadMap.

If you are a Pro license user then you can check-out the 2D preview here: https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/2ddemos/wiki/Alpha Release 2

AlanGameDev likes this.
  7. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Awesome! Thank you!