Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

ETA for Xcode 11 support?

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Build' started by distastee, Jun 9, 2019.

1. distastee

distastee

Hey team!
    Love Cloud Build. Use it all the time - way better than lugging a million different devices around to make sure my builds are good.

My big question is around when support is likely to be added for Xcode 11. For the first time I'm in a situation where I need to develop for the release of ios13 - and honestly I am unsure when y'all typically release support for new versions. My hope is that the Xcode beta would be something we could opt-in to on Cloud Build until the official release lands.

Any information here would be greatly appreciated!

thibouf, PandaArcade, domdev and 3 others like this.
  2. Atomhax

Atomhax

It will have to be sooner rather than later. New iPad apps and app updates will be required to be built against the iOS 13 SDK by April 2020.

Edit: xcode versions dictate which SDK you are building against. So xcode 11 is iOS 13.. if you need to develop for a previous SDK you need an older version of xcode etc.

Note that this differs from target SDK.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  3. victorw

victorw

Unity Technologies

Xcode 11 is currently in testing - I can't give an exact date since issues might still pop up but so far things are looking good.

manoa-lino-adhi, resilio and FracEdd like this.
  4. mcarriere

mcarriere

@victorw Checking in a couple weeks later, is there an ETA yet? It's been over three weeks since Xcode 11 has been released.

Also, just to provide some feedback about this, having Cloud Build consistently 3+ weeks behind the actual release of the products that it uses is forcing our team to look into running our own Jenkins server to manage our own build and release process.

It's incredibly frustrating to not have these tools available to us at this point, and not an excuse that clients are willing to put up with. This often means that for the projects that we rely on Cloud Build for, our efficiency gets killed around new Xcode releases since we're switching to local, manual builds to run our test suites instead of the daily builds we get with Cloud Build. Moreover, this seems to be the norm for UCB with little to no acknowledgement of planned improvement on this front.

I realize that the scale and coordination that the servers/service are represent an incredible challenge to maintain and support, but if Unity wants to prop up its engine with additional services: studios should be able to rely on those for their business cases. The least of these requirements being able to ship products day-and-date with the release of new tools/operating system revisions.

5. distastee

distastee

Thanks for writing it so eloquently. This is my first Xcode release since adopting UCB and the delay has already convinced me to switch before the next release.

Our business has to adopt Beta iOS/Xcode as soon as it comes out - so UCB has essentially been "down" for us since June. As much as I DREAM to have a solution like cloud build - there's no sense in adopting a service with an uptime of ~60%

meunuch likes this.
  6. Lanre

Lanre

Just want to chime in to say that this affects asset store publishers too. We often have to compile with latest versions of Xcode, but customers come to us complaining that they can't build their apps because UCB doesn't support Xcode 11.

7. Jameso3h

Jameso3h

@victorw could we please get another update?

8. mcarriere

mcarriere

Also curious if there are any updates on this.

9. chris_unity559

chris_unity559

@victorw
    Please let us know something regarding this. Many are waiting for an update! UCB is great but by being a version behind in XCode it is costing developers real money and time.
    Thank you.

resilio, meunuch and Jameso3h like this.
  10. meunuch

meunuch

@victorw, just adding my voice to those eagerly awaiting updates on Xcode 11 support.

chris_unity559, Jameso3h and resilio like this.
  11. resilio

resilio

@victorw can you give us some updates please? We really need Xcode 11 for some features before the end of November...

12. smithmj5

smithmj5

@victorw Also checking on the status of this. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    meunuch, chris_unity559 and Jameso3h like this.
  13. Ethan_VisualVocal

Ethan_VisualVocal

Guessing they were about to ship Xcode 11 support when 11.1 came out on Oct 2, then 11.2 on Oct 31, and now 11.2.1 has a preview release.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode_release_notes?language=objc

But, who knows if Unity actually was blocked by any of the issues resolved in the 11.x patch releases. They certainly don't need to wait on 11.2.1, for example.

14. chris_unity559

chris_unity559

Personally I just want an update of any sort, even if it is to tell us it is still delayed. They don't have to give us reasons, just a timeline.

Right now I feel like I'm standing at the airport looking at my flight number but all it has for the gate and time is a blank and my wife is on the phone wondering when I'll be home.

15. Ethan_VisualVocal

Ethan_VisualVocal

Agreed, and well said!

16. thibouf

thibouf

Really interested in knowing the ETA for this. I need to use a library that has been built with xcode 11, so i can't build my project anymore in UCB, that's really blocking ...

Lanre likes this.
  17. ChrisHarshman

ChrisHarshman

@victorw Are there any updates on this, we are totally blocked without XCode 11 for our new app because we require Apple Sign In.

resilio and Lanre like this.
  18. purplelilgirlmakesgames

purplelilgirlmakesgames

Hi, any updates on this?

'coz I'm using some Plugins (the awesome Natcorder and Natmic), but I need to build using Xcode 11. My 8 year old Macbook Pro o_O has been deemed to old to update to Mojave :(, and Unity Cloud Build is the only way I can build for iOS.

Thank you.:oops:

resilio and meunuch like this.
  19. eladleb4

eladleb4

There should really be a day-zero support and not months after release tests... :(
    UCB keeps lagging behind.

20. thibouf

thibouf

So we have contacted our account manager about this issue, that answered .. to look at this post ...
    I mean ... really ???

The only response we got here was "Xcode 11 is currently in testing - I can't give an exact date since issues might still pop up but so far things are looking good."

This answer is 1.5 month old . The first post in this thread is 5 months old.

Is that all you can tell us ? What is going on ?

I must say that this is really looking bad about the Unity capability of maintaining this service. Did you really spent 5 months trying to make it works ? Is Unity still really supporting it ? Should we start worrying about an eventual abandonment of this service ?

@victorw
    @ollieblanks

mcarriere, meunuch and ChrisHarshman like this.
  21. ChrisHarshman

ChrisHarshman

They told us the same thing, said they wanted to have unified messages.

meunuch likes this.
  22. Lanre

Lanre

Anyone up for a competitor service to Unity Cloud Build? Unity seems to be getting complacent given that they have no competition.

meunuch and damelin like this.
  23. damelin

damelin

I would also like to have an update on this.

Unity should prioritize services that are already in places before coming out with some new Remote Config system. I mean... don't expect me to use new services when we can't have the older one works properly.

meunuch likes this.
  24. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for everyone's continued patience with the service. We do understand that the interim period between Apple's release of Xcode and when it becomes available on Unity Cloud Build can be very frustrating when everyone has their own deadlines to meet.

There are multiple reasons for the delay in releasing new technologies on Cloud Build, the main reason being to ensure the stability of the service for all users. As with most Apple upgrades, new hardware and software upgrades are required, both of which have their own level of risk which deserves the highest level of acceptance testing.

I realise no-one wants to hear excuses, everyone is here for updates so...
    • Testing was finalised earlier this week with good results
    • We have recently upgraded all production infrastructure in preparation for the release (With these upgrades we are much better prepared for Xcode 12!)
    • A release day action plan has been discussed and our support teams are to be on alert during this period
    • We have a process in place for reverting customers to classic infrastructure in the event of build failure caused by this upgrade
    We plan to release Xcode 11 early next week.

meunuch, Arik_st, JamesAiken and 9 others like this.
  25. chris_unity559

chris_unity559

Looks like the upgrade happened!

Now at Xcode 11.2 from what we can see.

26. fiveampsoftware

fiveampsoftware

Looks like the version of Xcode being used by UCB is blacklisted by Apple?
    We are seeing this:
    "Error Domain=ITunesTransporterErrorDomain Code=-18000 \"ERROR ITMS-90534: \"Invalid Toolchain. Your app was built with an unsupported SDK or version of Xcode.

chris_unity559 and jason-vreps like this.
  27. xyome

xyome

It would appear that 11.2.0 isn't sufficient. When submitting a build I'm getting these:

ERROR ITMS-90534: "Invalid Toolchain. Your app was built with an unsupported SDK or version of Xcode. If you plan to submit this build to the App Store, make sure you are using the versions listed in https://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/devf16aefe3b or later."

WARNING ITMS-90703: "Deprecated Xcode Build. Due to resolved app archives issues, we have deprecated Xcode 11.2 on November 5, 2019. Download Xcode 11.2.1 or newer, rebuild your app and resubmit."​

28. thibouf

thibouf

Oh ! Good and bad news at the same time :'(

Yes can confirm , Xcode 11.2.1 is now mandatory , I had to install the update on my machine in order to upload my local builds.

29. jason-vreps

jason-vreps

Having a similar issue as those listed here. Despite the minimum listed requirements stating xcode v10.1 (https://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/devf16aefe3b), my UCB builds made with xcode 11.2 are getting kicked back, saying that xcode 11.2 was deprecated on Nov 5, 2019. Only 11.2.1 or newer are acceptable.

It looks like if we plan to continue using UCB, we'll need an upgrade to 11.2.1

30. gbarnes

gbarnes

Yes have the same problem and we need to get a build out soon. I'll do it manually for now, but thats just very annoying in my opinion.

31. eladleb4

eladleb4

@ollieblanks it's really not just about our deadlines...
    It's about setting an acceptable service level agreement (SLA) for a paid service.

Whenever UCB breaks, either because of an external SDK update or an internal unity issue, it causes severe damage to everyone who relies on it, it's such a critical part of our workflow...

While as a developer I understand that UCB works in a dynamic environment with many external factors, I'd still expect that at least the basics (popular SDKs and tools) to be tested and work properly well ahead of when they are actually required :(

thibouf likes this.
  32. leandro_trick

leandro_trick

I ran into the Xcode 11.2 issue yesterday, but I solved it by setting cloud build to Xcode 10.2. App Loader won't allow you to submit Xcode 11.2 builds but it'll let you with 10.2. The message is misleading,, you'd assume deprecated means everything before that as well... but they simply deprecated 11.2 for some big flaw.

jason-vreps likes this.