Search Unity

Resolved ETA for UWP Cloud Build Support?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by PeachyPixels, Jan 28, 2020.

1. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi there!

As per the title, is there an ETA for UWP cloud build support please?

I'm a month or so away from releasing a UWP game and am keen to go down the cloud build route.

Android & iOS versions will follow a month or so after, so it would be nice to be up-to speed by then.

2. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Is anyone from Unity able to shed some light on this please?

3. Laex410

Laex410

I am interested in UWP build support as well, I found threads that are almost 2 years old asking for this.

Some guys from Unity answered that it is on the roadmap and they are working on it, is there finally an ETA for this?

PeachyPixels likes this.
  4. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi there!

Are there any updates on UWP cloud build please? I would be more than happy to join a testing programme, if it would help.

5. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi Unity Team!

I appreciate we're in pretty unprecedented times right now, but the silence is a tad frustrating.

I've seen a number of people asking for this over the last few years, so demand appears to be there. Any update would be greatly appreciated. Even if UWP support has been put on hold or cancelled (whilst frustrating) it would still be good to know, so we can plan accordingly.

6. victorw

victorw

UWP support requires Windows builders and UCB only runs on OSX builders currently. We've been working on adding Windows builder support to UCB for about three years now since it required a near-complete rewrite of all UCB code - we're getting very close to being able to deploy Windows builders to production but we've spent about the last 5 months discovering new cross-platform issues every time we get close to releasing.

Once we release Windows Builders and keep them stable for a length of time we can consider adding UWP support - it's currently not something we have the ability to prioritize since we do not have the infrastructure required.

PeachyPixels likes this.
  7. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks for the update Victor, it's much appreciated. At-least we have some idea of where UWP support is now.

Windows\UWP is my lead platform, which means daily builds. So if you ever have a need for testers, just DM me and I'd be glad to help out.

8. HipJiveGuy

HipJiveGuy

Any more updates on this? I too would like to build for UWP

PeachyPixels likes this.
  9. jtiret

jtiret

Hello @victorw,
    Do you have any update on supporting UWP in UCB?
    Thanks in advance

10. Justin-Unity

Justin-Unity

Unity Technologies

With the Beta Window builder program going on right now ( Please see our forum post
    Windows Builder Beta Program), we are getting closer to supporting UWP. I don't have a timeline at the moment but wanted to give an update that this program is a major step towards reaching the goal to support UWP in Cloud Build.

Recently, there was an announcement from Microsoft about GDK. How many of you have already started down this route in working on your projects to build Microsoft Win32 + GDK?

Jirdus and jtiret like this.
  11. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @Justin-Unity,

I'm guessing (hoping) the Windows builders went live today?

I was hoping to see a new UWP (IL2CPP) target platform appear in the dropdown, but it's not available.

Is that expected (i.e. it's not production ready yet)?

12. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @Justin-Unity

Sorry to be that person again :rolleyes:

Now that the Windows build servers are live and (appear) stable, any updates on UWP support in UCB please?

13. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

UWP support is on our roadmap, but no timeline is currently available. We will update you in this thread as soon as we have more clarity on dates.

14. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @victorw @Justin-Unity @rajivrao

Any news on UWP support in UCB please?

It's literally been 'in progress' for years and the Windows builders have been live and stable for over 4 months now. Surely it must be close or at the very least in beta?

15. VOX-NeilC

VOX-NeilC

Hi, just to chime in here. It's a pretty fundamental reason for using Unity Cloud builds for us as Universal Windows is one of our key platforms. It will also be a deal breaker for long-term usage of Unity Cloud builds going forwards so I would also like to champion getting it prioritised on the roadmap if possible. Thanks.

16. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Hi @PeachyPixels and @VOX-NeilC, thanks for your input. Currently no updates to development or alpha/beta releases. Appreciate you noting the importance of this support. Will discuss with the team what we can move around to prioritize this.

PeachyPixels likes this.
  17. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks for the reply @rajivrao it is appreciated.

Please could you express the frustration of us developers to the higher-ups? This feature was teased a number of years ago and continues to be teased, without even a hint of a roadmap or timescale.

I understand if it were some obscure feature, but it's Windows UWP and Unity are now running Windows Builders. Developers have been asking for UWP support for a long time and progress appears to have stalled. No news, no alpha, no beta, nothing.

In the meantime we see Unity throwing money at acquisition after acquisition, at the expense of what most would call fundamentals.

I've been happy with UCB until now, holding off and hoping UWP would be forthcoming. But I'm getting the distinct impression UWP support will not be available for some time to come, if ever. Which leaves me little choice but to start investigating an alternative. I hope I'm wrong, but the lack of any solid news after such a long time is frustrating and off-putting.

Thanks again for replying.

18. MatL

MatL

Would be really helpful to have some kind of estimation, we need to decide if we need to implement our build server for UWP or wait until is supported by unity.

19. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Hi @MatL -- apologies but we don't have timelines at the moment. We're working on annual roadmaps now so hoping for more answers in the next couple weeks.

20. AdamKane

AdamKane

21. VOX-NeilC

VOX-NeilC

Hi @rajivrao - just wondering if you have an answer yet as you mentioned that you've been working on the roadmaps? Thanks.

22. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Thanks for circling back. Currently we're doing some discovery work, but we're hoping to provide something Q2/3 of this year. Will let you know if that changes.

PeachyPixels and Fangh like this.
  23. AdamKane

AdamKane

@rajivrao: In case it's useful...

Using TeamCity Cloud (on Windows build agents), we've been able to use the Unity.exe command line option to install the UWP module on-the-fly in order to successfully build Universal Windows Platforms apps for HoloLens (.appx output). It's 100% possible. We're making dozens of builds per day in this way.

We would LOVE to have this supported "natively" by Unity Cloud Build, rather than rolling our own solution and maintaining it ourselves.

24. Fangh

Fangh

Thank you for the update.
    Do you think it will support HL2 ?

25. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @rajivrao

Are you able to offer any updates on this please?

UWP (IL2CPP) build support isn't listed on the UCB road map (not even 'under consideration')...

https://unity.com/roadmap/devops

I'm hoping that's just an oversight and the Q2\Q3 target is still on-track?

26. wrossmck-unity

wrossmck-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @PeachyPixels,

We're working on UWP but looking more like Q4+ at this stage. Has required a bunch of other work to be done as we prepare for additional platform support. I'll get the team to refresh the roadmap as that's looking a little stale now.

PeachyPixels likes this.
  27. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Ok, thanks for the update @wrossmck-unity

If you decide to run a limited\closed test, happy to help out.

28. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @wrossmck-unity

It's been a few months and I'm wondering if you feel Q4 is still a realistic target?

I see UWP on the roadmap now (thanks for updating) but it's categorised as Planned rather than In Progress

29. hexware

hexware

join the question. Is there any new status?

30. Baratta

Baratta

Are there any updates on this? Is Q4 still realistic?

31. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

I'm not holding out much hope unfortunately. The silence on UWP questions\features (cloud build or otherwise) indicates it's likely a very low priority to Unity. I wouldn't be surprised if most development on it has stalled, bug fixes aside.

I really hope that's not true (as it might mean dropping one of my supported platforms) but the signs aren't promising.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  32. wrossmck-unity

wrossmck-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey folks,

Apologies for missing the tag earlier in the year.

Unfortunately you are correct and Q4 is no longer realistic. We had to pause that work earlier this year, but we are going to work on that next year as well as adding other target platforms to the platform next year.

33. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Benjamin-Gooding likes this.
  34. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels