Search Unity

estimated time study for certification

Discussion in 'Unity Certification' started by sunesunesson, Oct 27, 2016.

1. sunesunesson

sunesunesson

Roughly how much time do I have to study (starting with Unity Certification Courceware) to pass the certification exam.
    I have good C# knowledge, no Unity experience

Are we talking days, several weeks or several months?

2. dianqiangliu

dianqiangliu

Hi sunesunesson,

The exam isn't solely focused on programming. The question ranges from a wide variety of topic both within the unity editor and programming as well as game production as a whole. IMHO follow the unity training material and make few small games for fun to test your knowledge then you will pass the exam with ease.

The difficult part of the exam is the variety of the question not the depth.

the1thatswanted and sunesunesson like this.
  3. Pominaus

Pominaus

Minimum 1 month full time study I'd say. I was proficient in 2D with unity before studying for the test. This left basically all of it. For me it was something I intended to do at some point, and then *bang* there was a cert exam in my city in 5 weeks time and no other ones scheduled on my continent.. so time to hit the books. I can't say I felt super ready when I went into the exam, but I got 85%, so it paid off.

Unity will be releasing a Unity certified programmer certification in the future, which may be more up your alley, but I would expect it will still be more of a Unity cert than a C# one. The programming I needed to know for this certification was all Unity specific - don't think "what is an enumerator" or "what is instantiation", think "What method of the monobehaviour API should be used for phys calls" or "what arguments does a Vector3 take?" - note these were not questions on my exam of course, just you know, that's the kind of stuff on the syllabus.

I will say that the exam isn't massively in depth so you definitely can learn up to this level in a shortish time frame - it's about proving you know the unity software to a competent level. For example you're a programmer, but you have to work with the people building the meshes, or making the animations; this doesn't expect you to be able to do their job, but expects you to know the engine well enough to have an idea what they are doing and interact with their work through code.

To be honest, the hardest part to getting ready in a short time will just be remembering the names for everything. I would advise first search for a certification in your area, and work back from there if it's in less than a month... it's a bit of a push if you've not used unity at all. If over a month or not listed yet, just start with the courseware and you'll be ready when one's available - best of luck! :D

sunesunesson likes this.
  4. sunesunesson

sunesunesson

Thanks for the answers! I think I've got an idea how much effort needed.

5. yarboroughd

yarboroughd

I found the exam challenging, but not as difficult as I had expected. I studied for about three weeks straight, about every day, took plenty of notes, and passed the exam without a problem. I highly recommend the Unity Courseware. There is also a good course on how to pass the exam in one week, on Udemy.com. I also wanted to note, I had no prior experience to Unity three weeks before I took the exam and passed.