Search Unity

Bug Errors with the URP Debug Manager

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by petey, Oct 13, 2020.

1. castor76

castor76

Is this something Unity is aware of? Not sure if any bug has been reported for this?

2. Johannski

Johannski

I created a ticket quite some time ago:
    With 35 votes on the ticket, I really hope that they are aware. Makes me quite sad, that it takes so long for them to fix this.

petey likes this.
  3. castor76

castor76

Voted!

Just mind boggling that the bug has been "Active" for more than a year. And it is not even trivial bug. I can't even build development build without constant error message popping up. In order to debug the build, I need to make the development build! Garhhh.....

DREBOTgamestudio likes this.
  4. sebascore

sebascore

I am experiencing this too, I will try the workaround posted

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    2.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.UpdateActions () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    3.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater.Update () [0x0002b] in C:\PRGDIR\CoreloopRepos\lm_client\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.6\Runtime\Debugging\DebugUpdater.cs:180
    5. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    6.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.UpdateActions () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    7.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater.Update () [0x0002b] in C:\PRGDIR\CoreloopRepos\lm_client\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.6\Runtime\Debugging\DebugUpdater.cs:180
    9. Unloading 4 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 1)
    10. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    11.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.UpdateActions () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    12.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater.Update () [0x0002b] in C:\PRGDIR\CoreloopRepos\lm_client\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.6\Runtime\Debugging\DebugUpdater.cs:180

5. joeross0

joeross0

Still waiting lol.
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.UpdateActions () [0x0001b] in D:\Github Dump\Startrek-Terrace-board-game\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.6\Runtime\Debugging\DebugManager.Actions.cs:244
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater.Update () [0x0002a] in D:\Github Dump\Startrek-Terrace-board-game\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.6\Runtime\Debugging\DebugUpdater.cs:180

Manquia likes this.
  6. joeross0

joeross0

This IS the solution. You made my day. Thank you!

andreiagmu likes this.
  7. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

lclemens, andreiagmu and petey like this.
  8. Chrisdbhr

Chrisdbhr

I am also getting this on Development Builds on Unity 2013.3.8f1

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.UpdateActions () [0x0001b] in C:\ProjetosC\resultarias\resultarias\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.7\Runtime\Debugging\DebugManager.Actions.cs:244
    3.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater.Update () [0x0002a] in C:\ProjetosC\resultarias\resultarias\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.7\Runtime\Debugging\DebugUpdater.cs:180
    5. (Filename: C:/ProjetosC/resultarias/resultarias/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.7/Runtime/Debugging/DebugManager.Actions.cs Line: 244)

My Enter Play Mode Options is disabled.

Also the code that @andreiagmu shared does stops the errors, but you can also put the code below inside a single script and it will run after the first scene load, so you don't need to put a game object that does that in every scene.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public static class ApplicationInitializer {
    3.     [RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.AfterSceneLoad)]
    4.     private static void InitializeAfterSceneLoad() {
    5.         DebugManager.instance.enableRuntimeUI = false;
    6.     }
    8. }

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    petey, jerhap, CyRaid and 2 others like this.
  9. BSimonSweet

BSimonSweet

Hi ! I'm having this bug too :) On 2021.3.9f1, which is LTS. It happens on Editor and Debug build. It's unbelievable that after 2 years, this is still happening. The fix needs to be backported ...

10. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

The fix should land on 2021.3.12f1, which hasn't been released yet.

Elapotp and BSimonSweet like this.
  11. Johannski

Johannski

Got a mail from Unity, that they now have fixed it in the upcoming versions:
    Branch:2021.3.X Resolution: Fixed Fix Versions: 2021.3.12f1 Resolution Notes:
    Branch:2020.3.X Resolution: Fixed Fix Versions: 2020.3.41f1 Resolution Notes:
    Branch:2022.2.X Resolution: Won't Fix Resolution Notes: Already fixed for 2022.2

So this should finally be a bug of the past :)

petey likes this.
  12. EDevJogos

EDevJogos

Changing Android build from Mono to IL2CPP worked for me.

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

This fix took 2 YEARS??? Is Unity a public traded company? If so they need to go back private so they can fix stuff faster. Seems like it has to go through too many people to get through a breaking bug!

14. Andrew900460

Andrew900460

I am having the same issue, but it seemed like it magically fixed itself after a PC reboot...
    I'm using 2021.3.9f1 and URP 12.1.7

And I get this error each frame (repeatedly) in "development" standalone build, but not in editor-play-mode

Some important context:
    Before the issue happened (was discovered?), I was merging a bunch of branches in our Git repo into the same branch they all merged from. I will call it "branch A". So a bunch of other branches just got merged into branch A. One of them was a branch I was also working in. After doing all these merges, I switched over to branch A to run the game and make sure things were working. Outside of 1 small compiler issue, it was fine.

I then also decided to make a build and see what happened. I was testing some new features, but they were not working even though they worked in the editor. So I made a "development build" so I could see runtime errors. And it was just spamming errors (1 per frame). And that is the error in the image you see above ^^^

I personally assumed this error had somthing to do with the new code I wrote, because it was not working, and I was hoping that I would get an error that would tell me what was going wrong.

It's kinda annoying when you get an error in a build, but you don't get it in the editor... As many may know.

And being that the error is pointing to **internal code** that you didn't write. It makes it even more bizarre and annoying. Because you don't know if maybe it was your code that is causing the error, or if it's somthing else... And even then it's still hard to diagnose.

But, with that being said. It was really late at night when I was dealing with this, so I went to bed.
    Now it's today, I turn the PC on and make a new build with some slight settings changes hoping it may fix somthing. I anxiously make a new build not knowing what would happen, but dreading the errors.
    And out of nowhere, the errors are completely gone... I even "stash" my changes in git to see if there were still no issues without the changes I made, and yes, no errors.
    So it seemed like either restarting my PC or restarting the Unity project fixed it??? But I have no idea what caused it to happen. But glad it's gone... At least for now.

15. larssonmartin1998

larssonmartin1998

A workaround for this is to add a way to manually reload the domain at will, I've added a MenuItem which reloads the domain, and I just perform one manually after building a Release build.

16. ilyass12

ilyass12

I hope this helps, i just switched build setting from Windows to Webgl and then to windows again and it fixed it for me.

Daniel9400 likes this.