Search Unity

Errors trying to pull repo from Git

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by TSabos, Mar 20, 2019.

1. TSabos

TSabos

I was attempting to get someone else in on my repo on another PC and once it is done compiling they get the following..
    Iijbj9yI9Dy4WJGYawTn.png

We have tried wiping the Library folder and pulling fresh a couple times but can't come up with why this could be happening.

Both PCs are on 2018.3.6f1

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  2. jasons_unity

jasons_unity

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry to hear that TSabos.
    Have you checked in the Library folder of your project to Git? The Library folder should not be shared across computers as its contents will be downloaded and reconstructed when the Editor starts. Perhaps trying to delete the Library folder and letting the Editor fill in the blanks will suffice?

3. TSabos

TSabos

Our gitignore contains /[Ll]ibrary/ and I have had him purge the folder and let unity recompile but it is failing every time. I will try to get the first error from him as maybe that will point to something more concrete. This pulled fine to 2 other computers so this problem is making little sense. We also had him try to delete the entire project folder and pull brand new to a new folder with same results. Nothing in Unity's HUB needs to be configured a specific way does it? I may have him completely start over downloading unity through Hub if so.

4. TSabos

TSabos

With that said, how does it know what version of the packages to download that correspond to your project on other computers?

5. jasons_unity

jasons_unity

Unity Technologies

Your project should contain a manifest.json in its Packages folder. This will list the dependencies required to fulfill the project's needs.

6. TSabos

TSabos

Yes that is in git and the manifest contains about 30 entries. We tried Help > Reset packages to defaults just for the heck of it and no dice either.

7. jasons_unity

jasons_unity

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues. Are there any notable differences in the setup (same platform, version of Editor, network connection, proxy setup...). Would you feel comfortable sharing your git repo so that I can test and possibly troubleshoot?

8. TSabos

TSabos

Sorry for the delay, I was unable to share the entire project and was going to try to repro it but then got a hold of the target machine and saw that there was simply no Scripts folder in the Packages/TextMesh Pro folder "IN UNITY". The key here was in Unity.. the folder did exist in the actual file path in Windows with all the "missing" scripts that Unity kept throwing errors for.

I tried wiping the package cache, letting it rebuild, literally any form of wipe you can think of... re-downloading Unity, updating Visual Studio to latest.

What finally worked was purging the com.unity.textmeshpro@1.3.0 folder and then copy pasting in this folder from a good working PC instead and then all of a sudden the Scripts folder finally showed up.

Visual Studio also did not detect the entire TMPro namspace, so this wasn't just a Unity problem. Very weird that neither Unity or VS was picking up the Scripts folder in com.unity.textmeshpro@1.3.0 when it was clearly there physically.

FYI: This project was created with 2018.3 from the start and is a pretty new repository, so this should not be related to any upgrade paths.

@Stephan_B may be interested in this.