Search Unity

Errors and cant select verticies.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by drguild, Dec 10, 2019.

1. drguild

drguild

I've been using pro builder for the last month slowly building a house design and today I thought I would cleanup, merge objects and faces etc.

Now some of my floors the main and second one is generating errors in the log and I cant select vertices.
    I can select faces and edges but not vertices.

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) (at <e1319b7195c343e79b385cd3aa43f5dc>:0)
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.WingedEdge.GetWingedEdges (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] faces, System.Boolean oneWingPerFace) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Runtime/Core/WingedEdge.cs:353)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ElementGroup.GetFaceSelectionGroups (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/MeshAndElementSelection.cs:132)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ElementGroup.GetElementGroups (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, System.Boolean collectCoincident) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/MeshAndElementSelection.cs:107)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.MeshAndElementSelection..ctor (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, System.Boolean collectCoincidentIndices) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/MeshAndElementSelection.cs:31)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.PositionTool+MeshAndPositions..ctor (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, UnityEngine.ProBuilder.PivotPoint pivot) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/PositionTool.cs:54)

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I did create a backup before starting, though I would rather not want to do all the merging etc again.
    I have no custom code and just been using Pro Builder so seems pro builder bugged out somewhere..

Uploaded the current scene file of where I am at if anyone wants to take a look.
    As well as the bug I'm interested in any improvements and advice etc.

I may have to detach the faces from the objects and rebuild them tops, bottoms and sides separately as I can still do that.

Next stage was going to be split the floors up more into rooms by creating edges and faces.

Here is the current progress for those that are wondering without downloading the scene file.
    I cull faces that are out of view hence why the box at the front looks broken plus has a terrain mesh for floor turned off while I work on other things.

Attached Files:

• House.7z
      File size:
      556.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. drguild

drguild

Even the detached faces seem bugged which is annoying :/
    the whole scene seems bugged.

I am getting other errors also.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.SharedVertex.get_Item (System.Int32 i) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Runtime/Core/SharedVertex.cs:62)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.EditorSceneViewPicker.GetNearestVertices (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, UnityEngine.Vector3 mousePosition, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] list, System.Single maxDistance, System.Single distModifier) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/EditorSceneViewPicker.cs:557)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.EditorSceneViewPicker.VertexRaycast (UnityEngine.Vector3 mousePosition, UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ScenePickerPreferences pickerOptions, System.Boolean allowUnselected, UnityEngine.ProBuilder.SceneSelection selection) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/EditorSceneViewPicker.cs:517)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.EditorSceneViewPicker.DoMouseClick (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.ProBuilder.SelectMode selectionMode, UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ScenePickerPreferences pickerPreferences) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/EditorSceneViewPicker.cs:45)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ProBuilderEditor.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Editor/EditorCore/ProBuilderEditor.cs:721)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2849)

All my work seems to have gone to waste for what I am not sure of.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  3. drguild

drguild

Was asked what unity version this is its, 2018.4.13f1 latest LTS and Pro Builder 2.4.1 from the Package Manager.
    My scene was updated from the store Pro Builder v2 and the previous 2018 LTS release.
    Scene was working fine on latest versions until yesterday when I was merging objects and suddenly started getting the above errors for no apparent reason.

I was rending a lightmap at the time which may have been one reason this happened.

4. Alien_J

Alien_J

5. drguild

drguild

I loaded my backup I made before I started the merging which was working.
    I started to replicate my actions and managed to error it straight away.

When I merged the kitchen curves object to the rest of the floor I got a instant error as above.
    The object is made up of the 2 curves then the edge to the stairs I circled in blue.

Here is a screenshot.
    the blue arrows are just showing that they are 2 objects at that line and I was merging them together as 1 object.

Reason for merging was to merge faces so I wouldn't have 2 separate lighting effects (still new so if theirs another way let me know).
    The left face of the line goes to that wall then theirs another face to the main entrance etc etc.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    HunterAhlquist and Alien_J like this.
  6. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Having the same issue! Cant alter any face, edge, or vert since merging my objects.
    No amount of using the repair options, or resetting probuilder prefs help.

SoulFrost111111 likes this.
  7. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Hey, I just opened a PR fixing this here https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.probuilder/pull/225. I also went ahead and tagged a preview build with this fix, which should be available in about an hour. To get it on your machine, enable "Preview Packages" in your Package Manager window and select ProBuilder version 4.3.0-preview.1.

drguild and Alien_J like this.
  8. drguild

drguild

Still not working right.

I merged a curve to a another object with a L shaped square mesh and while I could select vertices and collapse remaining I couldn't merge the faces getting this error.

The error was when I collapsed the vertices on the merged objects.
    Welding is fine without error.

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) (at <e1319b7195c343e79b385cd3aa43f5dc>:0)
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.MeshOperations.MeshValidation.RemoveDegenerateTriangles (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] removed) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.3.0-preview.1/Runtime/MeshOperations/MeshValidation.cs:212)
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.MeshOperations.VertexEditing.MergeVertices (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, System.Int32[] indexes, System.Boolean collapseToFirst) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.3.0-preview.1/Runtime/MeshOperations/VertexEditing.cs:45)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.Actions.CollapseVertices.DoAction () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.3.0-preview.1/Editor/MenuActions/Geometry/CollapseVertices.cs:88)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.MenuAction.DoButton (System.Boolean isHorizontal, System.Boolean showOptions, UnityEngine.Rect& optionsRect, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] layoutOptions) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.3.0-preview.1/Editor/EditorCore/MenuAction.cs:304)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.EditorToolbar.OnGUI () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.3.0-preview.1/Editor/EditorCore/EditorToolbar.cs:343)

I also cant seem to merge faces on the combined object that could be a kinda limitation rather than a bug, so would need to work around it with splitting the faces combining or something and reattaching.

STILL BUGGED
    The curved object I merged into a floor L shaped floor I could select the vertices on that.
    The L shaped floor the vertices disappeared and nothing was selectable.

So the fix only half fixed the problem.
    I can send my scene if it helps @kaarrrllll

Its not complex what I am doing should fairly basic simple stuff and the scene is simple soo should be easy to play around with for a diagnosis and fix.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  9. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

@drguild If I'm understanding correctly, you should be able to merge faces on the combined object. I'm not certain what is causing your mesh to end up in this state. If you have the time, could you please file a bug report in Unity with the steps you have taken? Once you get an email with the link to your bug report please PM it to me directly and I will investigate.

Alien_J likes this.
  10. drguild

drguild

I'll PM you the report once uploaded soon.

I made a small video unlisted of the bug in action below, I loaded a working non bugged scene saved the scene under a separate name, generated the bug while recording and uploading the report from it.

You can see the different texturing on the end curve I was hoping to create that floor a single mesh. as its one room.

The vertices get bugged cant merge faces etc.
    The way I work has been in vertices and faces and separated objects as I find that easier than trying to extrude everything as one object.

I have a multi window setup so the video is the center working scene window.

I'm fixing up a few overlapping vertices and mesh stuff since that bug was reported. (No change to the bug splitting the face and fixing some bugs)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  11. drguild

drguild

Just letting you all know @kaarrrllll will look at this after the holiday break.
    No rush for me and developers need all the holidays they can get as they always seem overworked.

Here is another vid of the bug.
    I made a simple cylinder split the front faces into 4 2 on each side as I am going to use them as corners.
    I duplicated and tried to merge 2 faces into 1 instead of recreating the cylinder again to split off half the face as one piece.
    When merging no vertices were shown and I couldn't select more than 1 face.

This is with the preview @kaarrrllll uploaded with a potential fix, I used to be able to do this so the fix may have broken else little objects trying to fix the bigger merging bug above.

I'll keep the faces into 4 parts for now and not merge anything.

Alien_J likes this.
  12. bunpro

bunpro

To anyone still having this issue.

I had success by merging everything I wanted, then selecting the faulty merged object and doing:
    Tools > Probuilder > Repair > Rebuild Shared Indexes Cache.

13. drguild

drguild

Seems to be working for me so far I'll keep a eye on it.
    But annoying to do it for every object after merging

I'll let unity know about this.
    Seems this needs to be added to be automatically run in the background when merging objects.

I have gave @kaarrrllll a extensive message about this for when he gets back as only rebuilding the index cache on that object works, rebuilding all doesn't.

Doing this works but mesh uv's need manually adjusting and error now which I also mentioned to him.

This is that error.
    Resetting and redoing the uv's seem to work but keeping a eye on the error incase it doesn't.

Mesh.uv is out of bounds. The supplied array needs to be the same size as the Mesh.vertices array.
    UnityEditor.Selection:Internal_CallSelectionChanged()

So hopfully he can create a fix and extra automated process and safeguards for merging objects.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    bunpro likes this.
  14. drguild

drguild

@kaarrrllll messages me yesterday thanking me for all the new info and saying he is back in the office and will look at this soon.

'Catch up on important work and meetings first ;)'

Alien_J and bunpro like this.
  15. drguild

drguild

The latest 4.3.0-Preview.2 fixes the bug completely I tested extensively merging many things to cut down on object count.

But please note that something changed in 4.3.0-Preview.2 from Preview.1 in how Pro builder now renders its meshes.

With importing my world into VRChat a VR social app with its SDK with Preview.2 my world is now invisible and won't render the Pro Builder meshes.
    I made a new issue on that here with screenshots, which is a separate issue.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cant-generate-uvs-and-invisible-meshes-vrchat.824949/

So if you are planning to update to get this fix please keep the above in mind.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  16. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Thanks @drguild for the update. The issue with objects not rendering in builds has been fixed and I will tag another preview build this week.

17. drguild

drguild

All good, glad to be helping providing what seems to be valuable info for you guys.

18. wahlerdigital

wahlerdigital

It has been a couple of weeks but I still can't pull down preview.3 in the Package Manager.

I've not found a way manage using the source directly due to prefab GUIDs changing and the use of unpublished packages (unity.settings). Any tips on how to get a build done on 4.x or manage using the source directly without the pain of prefab ids changing? Thanks!

EDIT: I'm on 2018.4 LTS, maybe that is the issue?

19. drguild

drguild

Still awaiting P3 myself in the package manager, it got packaged on git a couple weeks back though.

20. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

If I'm remembering correctly, all current ProBuilder versions should be compatible with 2018.4.

Regarding working from source, that should definitely be possible. In fact, it should be as easy as cloning the repository into your project's Packages directory.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.probuilder

21. wahlerdigital

wahlerdigital

I tried cloning source but that doesn't work for a couple of reasons. There is a dependency on a Unity settings package that I can't find in the package manager UI but magically shows up when installing ProBuilder via the Package Manager. Also, there is no easy way to swap between package manager version and source version if you have prefabs with ProBuilder scripting due to GUIDs changing. I need ProBuilder at runtime so I'm stuck. Can't make a build on 4.x and I can't use the source.

Edit: I should also mention that switching between source and Package Manager versions of ProBuilder is very difficult due to the materials all losing the GUID refs to their shaders. Maybe the refs were lost because I copied all the files out of the library cache do get the unity settings package too. Will be happy to hear that cloning the repo will keep the same meta files as the package manager version.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  22. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Hm, Package Manager should import the dependencies for you if they're not present. I wonder if that's a limitation of local packages. I will follow up on that.

Regarding GUID mismatches, that will occur if you try to add the repository through a local package while the Package Manager imported version is still in the project. To correctly switch to a source install, you will need to first remove the ProBuilder package from within the Package Manager, then clone the source to your local packages directory.

23. wahlerdigital

wahlerdigital

I had no idea that local package installation was part of the Package Manager. Probably because the UI in 2018.4 is a small plus sign at the bottom of the screen and not part of the menu dropdown. Here are the docs, https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/upm-ui-local.html

I tried installing ProBuilder by cloning to an allowed local folder and adding via the package manager, but it didn't work. Here are the errors.

An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Package com.unity.probuilder@file:/Users/robert/workspace/jammer/packages.local/com.unity.probuilder has invalid dependencies:
    com.unity.settings-manager: Package [com.unity.settings-manager@1.0.2] cannot be found

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of /Users/robert/workspace/jammer/Packages/manifest.json file.

Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.RenderPipelines.HighDefinition.Runtime' (Packages/com.unity.probuilder/Runtime/Unity.ProBuilder.asmdef)

Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.Settings.Editor' (Packages/com.unity.probuilder/Editor/Unity.ProBuilder.Editor.asmdef)

Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.Settings.Editor' (Packages/com.unity.probuilder/Tests/Editor/Unity.ProBuilder.Editor.Tests.asmdef)

Script 'Packages/com.unity.probuilder/Debug/Scripts/GlobalProfiler.cs' will not be compiled because it exists outside the Assets folder and does not to belong to any assembly definition file.
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:CompileScripts(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)

Script 'Packages/com.unity.probuilder/Debug/Scripts/ShowHoveredInfo.cs' will not be compiled because it exists outside the Assets folder and does not to belong to any assembly definition file.
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:CompileScripts(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)

24. wahlerdigital

wahlerdigital

I did manage to get preview.3 working from source but that didn't fix my issue with null refs in SharedVertex.cs at runtime. Everything works fine in the editor. Here is the call stack.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at UnityEngine.ProBuilder.SharedVertex.GetSharedVertexLookup (System.Collections.Generic.IList`1[T] sharedVertices, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] lookup) [0x00001] in /Users/robert/workspace/jammer/Assets/Plugins/Vendor/ProBuilder/Runtime/Core/SharedVertex.cs:144
    at UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh.get_sharedTextureLookup () [0x00022] in /Users/robert/workspace/jammer/Assets/Plugins/Vendor/ProBuilder/Runtime/Core/ProBuilderMesh.cs:356
    at UnityEngine.ProBuilder.MeshOperations.ExtrudeElements.ExtrudeAsGroups (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] faces, System.Boolean compensateAngleVertexDistance, System.Single distance) [0x0003d] in /Users/robert/workspace/jammer/Assets/Plugins/Vendor/ProBuilder/Runtime/MeshOperations/ExtrudeElements.cs:372
    at UnityEngine.ProBuilder.MeshOperations.ExtrudeElements.Extrude (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ProBuilderMesh mesh, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] faces, UnityEngine.ProBuilder.ExtrudeMethod method, System.Single distance) [0x00013] in /Users/robert/workspace/jammer/Assets/Plugins/Vendor/ProBuilder/Runtime/MeshOperations/ExtrudeElements.cs:30
    at Jammer.Meshes.ProBuilderMeshOperations+<ExtrudeFaces>d__6.MoveNext () [0x0013d] in /Users/robert/workspace/jammer/Assets/Jammer/ProBuilder/Runtime/Meshes/ProBuilderMeshOperations.cs:116
    at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00027] in <b6694b6f87c246ba886811ab5a1a449c>:0
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutineManaged2(IEnumerator)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Should I start a new thread?

Here are the steps I took to get the preview.3 source to work for me.

# Must install in Assets, specifically, don't install in ./Packages as the ProBuilder repo README suggests, that is specifically called out as not allowed in the Unity Package Manager docs.
    cd Assets/Plugins

# Plugin MUST be named ProBuilder because ProBuilder has hard-coded the folder name into its own source
    git clone git@github.com:Unity-Technologies/com.unity.probuilder.git ProBuilder

# Checkout the tag used for preview.3
    git checkout tags/rc-4.3.0-preview.3 -b rc-4.3.0-preview.3

#Fix compile error by removing the bad reference from the asmdef
    Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.RenderPipelines.HighDefinition.Runtime' (Assets/Plugins/Vendor/ProBuilder/Runtime/Unity.ProBuilder.asmdef)

#Need to pull com.unity.settings-manager out of Library cache, not sure where the official repo is located

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  25. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Ok, there are a couple problems that made this much harder for you than it usually is. One is my mistake,

Code (CSharp):
    1.     com.unity.settings-manager: Package [com.unity.settings-manager@1.0.2] cannot be found
    This is referencing a not yet released version of Settings Manager. It should be out this week, but that is why we haven't pushed a new ProBuilder preview. For your purposes, I would just edit the package.json to reference Settings Manager 1.0.1 instead.

Next,

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.RenderPipelines.HighDefinition.Runtime' (Packages/com.unity.probuilder/Runtime/Unity.ProBuilder.asmdef)
    This should just be a warning. It is valid to reference non-existing assemblies and create optional defines for when they are present. That may be something that was introduced in 2019.1 however. If it persists as an error, I would just remove the HDRP reference from the Assembly Definition.

26. wahlerdigital

wahlerdigital

Thanks for the reply @kaarrrllll. As I mentioned in reply #24 above, I did manage to get the source version to run but that doesn't help me because of the null ref in GetSharedVertexLookup that happens only on builds, not in the editor.

27. drguild

drguild

Update to unity 2018.4.18f1 and the Pro Builder 4.3.0 Preview 4 and everything if fine my end.
    I just need to reset the mesh colliders as they got set to none somehow.

28. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

I was experiencing the same issue (Unity 2019.3.3 & ProBuilder 4.2.3). Merged two objects then couldn't select vertexes, but updating to ProBuilder preview.6 - 4.3.0 fixed it!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    kaarrrllll likes this.
  29. dannyniu

dannyniu

As a programmer, I believe I might have partially discovered the casue of the issue. The Inspector panel in 2018.4.19f1 had a implicit upper-limit of ~63 shading ball previews, and when this limit is exceeded, unrecoverable exception occurs.

nulldivisionproject likes this.
  30. Jonas-Neuston

Jonas-Neuston

This solved it for me, thanks!

GuillaumeZAHRA likes this.
  31. Itzemii

Itzemii

I had the issue when merging 4 simple objects. The repair fixed it. Thank you!!!

GuillaumeZAHRA likes this.