Search Unity

Resolved Errors after downgrading project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MidniteOil, Jan 12, 2021.

1. MidniteOil

MidniteOil

Edit: I figured this out. Solution in the comments.

Greetings,

I posted in the cloudbuild forum about an issue I was having with sound not working with a WebGL build built using cloud build. It was suggested that since my local project was using 2021.1.0a5 and UCB has not added support for 2021 yet that I should try downgrading my project to a 2020 version that UCB supports and compare the behaviors.

After downgrading my project to 2020.1.6f1 I get the following errors:
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.common@4.0.2\Editor\TextureGenerator\TextureGeneratorHelper.cs(10,48): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'TextureGenerationSettings' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

<several more of the same>

A search for TextureGenerationSettings found this entry:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.4/Doc...AssetImporters.TextureGenerationSettings.html

It does say that it's an experimental api that might be removed in the future but I find it odd that I don't get the errors in the 2021 version but do in the 2020 version.

I'm also seeing these errors:
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.path@4.0.1\Editor\EditorTool\PathEditorTool.cs(64,20): error CS0103: The name 'ToolManager' does not exist in the current context

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.path@4.0.1\Editor\EditorTool\PathComponentEditor.cs(52,29): error CS0103: The name 'ToolManager' does not exist in the current context

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.path@4.0.1\Editor\EditorTool\PathComponentEditor.cs(54,29): error CS0103: The name 'ToolManager' does not exist in the current context

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.path@4.0.1\Editor\EditorTool\PathEditorTool.cs(92,43): error CS0103: The name 'ToolManager' does not exist in the current context

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.path@4.0.1\Editor\EditorTool\PathEditorTool.cs(170,13): error CS0103: The name 'ToolManager' does not exist in the current context

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.path@4.0.1\Editor\EditorTool\PathEditorTool.cs(177,13): error CS0103: The name 'ToolManager' does not exist in the current context

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.path@4.0.1\Editor\EditorTool\PathEditorTool.cs(183,40): error CS0103: The name 'ToolManager' does not exist in the current context

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.common@4.0.2\Editor\InternalBridge\InternalEditorBridge.cs(44,33): error CS1501: No overload for method 'ShowSpriteEditorWindow' takes 1 arguments

Now I had deleted my Library, Logs, obj and Temp folders before trying to open the project.
    I suspect the issue is with the package versions it's trying to pull in.
    I'm uploading my packages\manifest.json for examination.

Anybody run into this that can provide insight on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

If you think it's the packages and you don't have a backup of the manifest from before, make a new project in the OLDER version of Unity and see what packages it wants.

ALSO: put your project under source control. None of this would happen with regular commits, especially before an attempted upgrade.

marvpaul, ubi13th and Lenda0210 like this.
  3. MidniteOil

MidniteOil

First of all, Thanks for the quick reply. You hit the nail on the head. I compared the manifest to another project that was already on 2020 and just copied over the older version entries and the errors cleared up.

BTW, I do regular commits but I started this project in a 2021 alpha and am only downgrading because UCB doesn't support 2021 yet.

I'm using Azure devops for my repo and have UCB monitoring it for changes. I have builds configured for Windows, WebGL, Android and iOS. The iOS build worked great on my iPhone but the WebGL build had issues with music and several sounds not playing. The Android build had crazy graphical flickering going on. I saw a similar issue with a local Android build which I fixed by selecting Auto Graphics API.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  4. ubi13th

ubi13th

Thank you very much!!! You are the rock!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just for anyone stumbling on this thread. Note that Unity doesn't actually support version downgrades. It only works when Unity didn't change much between the versions you're moving between. Whether it works or not depends on what changes were added between the 2 versions. Unity automatically upgrades your project, file structures, etc, to upgrade to a new version. There is no similar system for downgrades. As already mentioned, use vc before attempting this kind of thing. Unity doesn't stop you from trying this, but doesn't help you do it either.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  6. zufarazmi

zufarazmi

how to put my project under source control

7. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker