Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Error with imported .fbx model.

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Drum, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Drum

Drum

Hi,

I've been sent some .fbx models of a street layout for a project I'm part of. I can import the models apparently cleanly and I can see a preview in the inspector when selecting them in the project window. When I drag them in to a scene, however, I get a console error:

cleaning the mesh failed
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

and, though an object appears in the heirarchy, it doesn't appear in the scene, Resizing doesn't make any difference.

I *think* these files were created in 3dStudio, but not certain of that point.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Dantus

Dantus

I fear it is highly unlikely that you can get help without posting the actual file here. Alternatively, you may try to use another format like obj.

Drum likes this.
  3. Drum

Drum

I've asked the guy who sent me the .fbx file for .obj. Still waiting to hear from him.

In the meantime here's one of the files.

Attached Files:

4. Dantus

Dantus

The used fbx version seems to be extremely old. Either use another file format are a newer fbx file format version.

Drum likes this.
  5. Drum

Drum

Many thanks Dantus. I've asked the source for an .ojb file and I've passed on your remarks about the .fbx format. Hopefully they should be able to sort this out for me.

cheers,