Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Error while setting up HD Rendering Pipeline on Mac

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by U7Games, Jul 16, 2018.

1. U7Games

U7Games

Hello

I have tried to setup HDRP on my Mac with no success, I receive the error log message:

"Platform Mac OS X 10.13.5 with device OpenGLCore is not supported, no rendering will occur"

I´m wondering If my hardware is being obsolete ?

My specs:
    IMac late 2013, 27"
    Intel I5 - 3.4 Ghz
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 775M - 2GB
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5

What could it be?
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
    Just started an empty HDRP project from UnityHub and everything worked fine...
    That means I could not upgrade my project... not bad at all.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

You should switch the graphics API in the player settings to Metal. OpenGL is not supported by HDRP

astraR and U7Games like this.
  3. U7Games

U7Games

Thanks, I will do it..

4. wrngsurgeon

wrngsurgeon

did it work? i can't seem to have any luck as i have the same issue.

5. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

You should be at least getting a different error if you switched the renderer to Metal :)

richardkettlewell likes this.
  6. schulzzz

schulzzz

The same message here on my first install:

"OS X 10.12.6 with device Metal is not supported, no rendering will occur"
    and the play screen remains black.
    I am using a AMD saphire 280x graphics-card and Metal is supported.

Are there any system or OS requirements?

7. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

That's not the same message :)

OSX 10.13 is required to run HDRP.

8. schulzzz

schulzzz

Are you sure?
    they write the system requirements are 10.11 and Metal.

But thank you for the hint - So I upgrade and see what happens...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  9. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

May I ask, where did you find this?

10. schulzzz

schulzzz

May I ask where the sys requirements for HDRP are mentioned?

11. schulzzz

schulzzz

12. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Personally, I think the system requirements for LWRP and HDRP should be in their readme files, since they are not required to use Unity.

13. schulzzz

schulzzz

But that is the only place to find any system requirements for Unity 2018.2
    And they mention ".. OS 10.11 for standard development.." and ".. OS 10.12.6 for special development" (whatever "special" would mean).
    No word about the requirements for the new feature HDRP.
    Why is that such a secret?

You were right - it worked upgrading to OS 13.0 on the Mac.
    So thank you aleksandrk!

But it was a long and hard way to find that out - getting confused by Unitys own system requirements for 2018.2 webpage.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  14. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

HDRP and LWRP are not required to run Unity, so I think it would be misleading to put the requirements for those components into the same page.
    It's not a secret. As I said, there should just be a separate page listing the requirements for HDRP.

15. david_Giraldo

david_Giraldo

hi @aleksandrk i am running unity version 2018.2.6 on mac, even when i remove OpenGL from the graphics API i still get the same error Platform Mac OS X 10.13.5 with device OpenGLCore is not supported, no rendering will occur.
    Any ideas?

16. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

17. conscienceawake

conscienceawake

18. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Then please make a bug report.

19. edwiz7

edwiz7

I am having the same issue, where I remove OpenGLCore from the Mac API list, and leave only Metal, but I still get the same error.

Has anyone made a bug report and resolved the issue? I made a bug report but I'm not sure how long am I supposed to wait for, I got no confirmation email.

dot_entity likes this.
  20. ILonion

ILonion

Any news?

21. shyaka12

shyaka12

Im using Mac 10.12 will it work ?

22. tsuic368

tsuic368

Hi, I have swichted it to metal and it's still giving me the same error, has this gotten a fix yet?

23. mnenad

mnenad

Hi. I'm facing the exact same issue with Metal support enabled and running Unity 2019.2.5f1 on OSX 10.14.6... Any news on this topic?

24. mnenad

mnenad

Hi and merry Christmas to you. Has anyone investigated in this issue so far from Unity @aleksandrk ? I am having huge trouble finishing projects that depend on hdrp on mac machines and no I've got no answers since end of October.

IMC-Lab likes this.
  25. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hi @MihajloNen!
    I recently used HDRP on Mac Metal (10.14.6) without any issues.
    Did you submit a bug report?

26. mnenad

mnenad

Hi @aleksandrk and thx for the fast reply. I could solve the problem, somehow I had to restart the Editor + Unity Hub(?) and then select Metal again after reimporting all shaders (switching from windows standalone to mac standalone on mac machine). It also seems that the JobSystem also brought several errors to the project, but that's another topic. Cheers

27. Ehredt

Ehredt

I ran into an error today in which no opaque materials/shaders will render while on a Macbook using Metal, although transparent materials render fine. This was the only thread that came up when I googled the issue. I'm going to keep troubleshooting for now. (I'm using 2019.3.2f1 and HDRP 7.1.8.)

28. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

I'll chase this up for you!

29. Ehredt

Ehredt

@Shaunyowns

Thank you so much! As an update, I moved all my assets into a fresh HDRP Template project and so far the materials are at least visible, so it's likely there was something in the project or HDRP settings that was wonky (I've been working on the project on a Windows computer since I created it). Deleting the Packages and Library folder didn't fix it, but this did. I haven't had a chance yet to look at the materials and shaders for more than "they seem to all be visible" and my scene lighting changed a lot when I moved to Mac, so I'll do more digging into the materials and shaders today and tomorrow to see how they're working -- I use ShaderGraph with subsurface scattering-enabled materials quite often and I've had problems pretty consistently when using these on Macs.

30. Ehredt

Ehredt

UPDATE a day later: Shader Graph materials are suddenly working. I'm pretty sure all I did was wait a day, close and open the laptop, and move my Materials folder to a different directory. Lights are still broken the same way they were before. I have no idea what fixed it, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Update: I did some digging and there are a lot of issues with shaders and materials. When I attempt to change the shader on any materials, it can't find any ShaderGraphs, even though a ShaderGraph shader is already set in the material (see attached screenshot.) Using the shader that was set, it was rendering everything the way it "normally" does (i.e. all of the materials with subsurface scattering are black, see my posts in the thread here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-subsurface-scatter-black-on-mac.709826/#post-5475672). After trying a few things including uninstalling and reinstalling the HDRP, all of our ShaderGraph materials are invisible again. The opaque HDRP/Lit material is working again, though, and it wasn't before. ShaderGraph looked normal and was up to date in the Package Manager.

I'll continue troubleshooting. It's very frustrating that the HDRP is currently so unworkable for us on Macs. We just bought a new MacBook Pro so we could better serve our users, most/all of whom use Macs. I realize "high-end graphics" and "Mac" don't usually go together, but for non-game applications like the ones I develop, Mac support is essential.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  31. Ehredt

Ehredt

(Would probably help if I attached the screenshot!)
    upload_2020-2-20_14-9-46.png

32. Explorasaurus

Explorasaurus

Using 2019.3.14 and still getting the same issue described above. OSX build platform with HDRP gives the OpenGL not supported, no rendering message described above. Have tried turning off OpenGL in Mac api, no luck. Also tried other 2019 unity versions, 2020.1 Beta, cloud building, building from PC, building from Mac - no luck with any of it.

Mac version is 10.13

If it helps I can see the project and play in editor when on a PC building out to OSX, but OSX native is completely black in both editor and build.

33. Jassucks

Jassucks

I've got the same issue, using 2019.4.0f1, Mac version 10.13.3. Unity wouldn't build with player settings API set to default. Tried making it not default and only setting Metal - which resulted in a successful build but when I open the app it shows nothing - not even a black window, and it says "app not responding".
    Any idea how to solve this?
    (and yes, I tried restarting everything)