Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Error when creating actions

Discussion in 'Input System' started by GerardQ, May 30, 2020.

1. GerardQ

GerardQ

Anytime I click "Create Actions" on the Player Input component, I get this error:

This is on a fresh install of Unity 2019.3.15f1 and adding the new Input System;
    MacOSX 10.13.6

2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Could you file a ticket with the Unity bug reporter? (in the Unity editor's main menu, it's under "Help >> Report a Bug...")

3. GerardQ

GerardQ

Hi, @Rene-Damm I already did.

Here is the workaround from Unity:

ENOUGH- and oyunveyasam like this.
  4. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Thanks! :)

5. KevinWood

KevinWood

I'm getting this error with the Roll A Ball tutorial, which is supposed to be an absolute beginner tutorial. I don't think asking beginners to search for solutions to bugs and then downgrade components is acceptable. Seems like a great way to turn people off!

6. deeztc

deeztc

Found my answer here. I had a custom view and once I changed it back to default the error went away.
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/696790/nullreferenceexception-unityeditorserializedobject.html

Hate to necro this, but since it persists in 19.1.1f1: The problem is, you're previewing a Serialized object from your Project, in one (or both) of your Inspector windows. When you have 2 (or more) Inspector windows open while you preview a ScriptableObject Asset, you'll get that error and be unable to compile. The reason why "it fixed itself" by restarting Unity is that your Windows Layout did not save, so you restarted with only 1 Inspector window open.

TLDR: Close any other Inspector Windows you have open while previewing a Serialized object asset. Make sure you have only 1 Inspector Window open, while previewing your SerializedObject Asset.

7. Jehutyver10

Jehutyver10

By my reckoning it seems like I only have one inspector window? Even in the default layout I get this error.

WVbrU_ likes this.
  8. KoolProgramBoi

KoolProgramBoi

You can just save your project and close unity and open it again and it'll work

9. liamr0y

liamr0y

How do I upvote this 1000x. I'm literally in the roll-a-ball tutorial (a level-1 starter beginner tutorial FROM unity and getting this issue). Not very impressed that I'm an hour in and there's already bug issues to address.

10. ajkentros

ajkentros

Estimados, con Unity Version: 2019.4.21f1, primero llevé el Input System a 1.0.0-preview 6, y luego a la verdión 1.1.0-preview 3, y pude armar el componente Player Input

11. Freelonmusk

Freelonmusk

So us, did we ever come up with a solution to fix the Roll-A-Ball tutorial? I have restarted the project from scratch a few times now with the same error. is it better to just move on instead of wasting time trying to learn from this project?

12. Rdna123

Rdna123

In the Player input component in the box next to actions press the circle with a dot

cwaid3 likes this.
  13. rjhockey

rjhockey

I was having the same issue with the keys not moving the ball. I was able to use Input System v 1.02 (not deprecate to 1.0.0-preview.6). It worked after I went to Player > inspector - Player Input > Actions and changed the dropdown choice to InputActions

14. AleCher

AleCher

In my case (with Input System v 1.02) clicking this just shows the empty dropdown, and one more error in the console appear: "NullReferenceException: SerializedObject of SerializedProperty has been Disposed..."
    I only managed to get rid of this by downgrading to [v 1.0.0-preview.6] , as adviced above

15. gwelkind

gwelkind

To be fair, this is tough for Unity. They're writing a tutorial they want to be future proof, but they're in a transition where a new paradigm of input is pretty beta. Should they teach the old stable version, or the new one that's being actively developed and might have regressions (bugs).

I would've stuck with the old one, personally, but I get the conflict.

The workaround works, and it's the first thing I find on google, so I can't be too upset :)

16. fffcomposer

fffcomposer

YES !

THANKS !

17. sromic

sromic

The version 1.1.1 is working. However, the verified 1.1.2 is not working as of 4th October, 2021