Search Unity

Error when building SampleScene from ARFoundation to iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'AR' started by MaxXR, Aug 15, 2018.

1. MaxXR

MaxXR

Hi

ARKit Plugin default scenes build fine. Thought I'd try AR Foundation: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples

Tried to build sample scene to iPhone 6S but am getting this error.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    2.   "_OBJC_METACLASS_$_ARAnchor", referenced from:
    3.       _OBJC_METACLASS_$_ARPlaneAttachmentAnchor in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRReferencePointProvider.o)
    4.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARAnchor", referenced from:
    5.       _OBJC_CLASS_$_ARPlaneAttachmentAnchor in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRReferencePointProvider.o)
    6.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRReferencePointProvider.o)
    7.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARPlaneAnchor", referenced from:
    8.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRReferencePointProvider.o)
    9.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRPlaneProvider.o)
    10.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARSession", referenced from:
    11.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRSessionProvider.o)
    12.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARWorldTrackingConfiguration", referenced from:
    13.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRSessionProvider.o)
    14. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    15. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    upload_2018-8-15_12-48-1.png
    Searched but couldn't find solution. Maybe the Xcode package isn't importing the right architecture? Any ideas?

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Looks like you're missing the ARKit framework. There's a post build step that is supposed to do that for you, but you can also add it manually in Xcode. What version of Unity did you use?

3. MaxXR

MaxXR

Ok thanks, will wait until bugs are ironed out I suppose
    Was using Unity 2018.2.2f1

4. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

I'd like to understand what's going on here. The error suggests you just need to add the ARKit framework to your Xcode project. Did you make any changes at all to the samples repo, or did you just build a fresh clone? What version of Xcode? Any other errors or warnings in either Xcode or Unity?

5. MaxXR

MaxXR

Sorry for delay Tim.
    Ok so I tried again with fresh project and it worked. Here were my steps:
    1. download https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples and extract to desktop
    2. launch Unity unity 2018.2.2f1 and open extracted project
    3. Build settings > change to iOS, and build SampleScene
    4. load built project in XCode 9.4.1
    5. Change Display Name, Bundle Identifier, Team, and set Deployment Target to 11
    Et voila. Feathered Planes works too :)

So I started playing around. Can you please share the scaling rig scene you demo'd 32mins into this vid
    because am having trouble with my current demo?

see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeiiisc1549ibzo/ScaleOpHouse.mov?dl=0 (can't embed dropbox vid files for some reason). There should be mini people as it starts at world scale, but when i scale it down (using LeanTouch's LeanScale script), they go away. Interested to see if it fixes the sea shader too.
    Thanks!

6. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

The scaling rig was no different than what you get in the default setup. There's a branch of the ARFoundation Samples repo that allows you to play with this in the Editor, see https://forum.unity.com/threads/mock-ar-device-for-in-editor-simulation.546703/. There's a blue cube that acts like the complex village in the GDC video.

7. MaxXR

MaxXR

Sweet
    Thank you sir

8. kouroshg

kouroshg

I tried the sample project:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples

using
    Unity 2019.1.5f1
    XCode 10.2.1

And still, get the following errors upon build:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    2.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARCollaborationData", referenced from:
    3.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRSessionProvider.o)
    4.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARSkeletonDefinition", referenced from:
    5.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRHumanBodyProvider.o)
    6.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARBodyAnchor", referenced from:
    7.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRHumanBodyProvider.o)
    8.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARBodyTrackingConfiguration", referenced from:
    9.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRHumanBodyProvider.o)
    10.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARMatteGenerator", referenced from:
    11.       objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRHumanBodyProvider.o)
    12.   "___isPlatformVersionAtLeast", referenced from:
    13.       _UnityARKit_Camera_AcquireConfigurations in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRCameraProvider.o)
    14.       _UnityARKit_Camera_TryGetCurrentConfiguration in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRCameraProvider.o)
    15.       _UnityARKit_Camera_TrySetCurrentConfiguration in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRCameraProvider.o)
    16.       (anonymous namespace)::ARKitXRCameraProvider::ResetLocalConfigurationState() in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRCameraProvider.o)
    17.       (anonymous namespace)::ARKitXRCameraProvider::HandleARKitEvent(UnityARKitEvent, void*, int) in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRCameraProvider.o)
    18.       _UnityARKit_EnvironmentProbeProvider_Construct in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXREnvironmentProbeWrapper.o)
    19.       _UnityARKit_EnvironmentProbeProvider_Destruct in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXREnvironmentProbeWrapper.o)
    20.       ...
    21. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    22. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I checked the searched paths in Xcode and all looks ok, I'm not sure why this is happening..

9. unity_FTNIJdQbby_PUg

unity_FTNIJdQbby_PUg

I am having the same issue, tried runinstalling and installing whole stack of tools to see if I am doing something wrong, but I keep getting this error. Tried anything that I could find online and nothing worked... Hell please :)

10. Blarp

Blarp

11. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Normally, you should be able to use the latest ARFoundation with any version of Xcode and iOS (depending on which features you want to use). However, we've identified an issue with Xcode 11 beta which prevents this. ARKit XR Plugin 2.2.0-preview.1 will only work with Xcode 11 and iOS 13. You cannot build an app using Xcode 9 or 10 and your app will crash on devices running anything less than iOS 13. You should only use ARKit XR Plugin 2.2.0-preview.1 if you want to experiment with the latest features in iOS 13. Otherwise, please use ARKit XR Plugin 2.1. We will release an updated version of the ARKit XR Plugin package when this issue is resolved in Xcode 11.

12. kouroshg

kouroshg

Thank you tdmowrer!

How should I downgrade, the package manager shows only version 2.2. It seems the Bitbucket repo also is deprecated. Does it mean I have to downgrade my Unity version?

13. kouroshg

kouroshg

Thanks downgraded to version 2.1 and worked just fine! :rolleyes:

14. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Looks like you've figured it out. For future readers of this thread, you can view and install any previous version of the ARKit XR Plugin from Window > Package Manager:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 8.58.43 AM.png

15. Gerrickg

Gerrickg

Thanks so much for the info on downgrading. Unfortunately, my scene goes black when I use LWRP. Seems like the skybox shows up for a split second and then goes dark. Any ideas?

16. santosh13

santosh13

Hi ,
    Am getting following error while building sample AR app for ios using AR Foundation and LWRP. I tried to make fresh project several times , but i get same error again and again.

Am using :
    Unity 2019.1.6
    xCode 10.2.1
    AR Foundation 2.2.0 preview 2

Thanks in Advance !

Attached Files:

leosurf111 likes this.
  17. leosurf111

leosurf111

Hi,
    I'm experiencing this build errors in XCode when building a basic application using AR Foundation + AR Kit XR Plugin :

Undefined symbol: _OBJC_CLASS_$_ARCollaborationData
    Undefined symbol: _OBJC_CLASS_$_ARSkeletonDefinition
    Undefined symbol: _OBJC_CLASS_$_ARBodyAnchor
    Undefined symbol: _OBJC_CLASS_$_ARBodyTrackingConfiguration
    Undefined symbol: _OBJC_CLASS_$_ARMatteGenerator
    Undefined symbol: ___isPlatformVersionAtLeast

My development environment is:

Unity 3d v. 2019.1.2f1
    AR Foundation preview.1 - 2.2.0
    ARKit XR Plugin preview.1 - 2.2.0
    (ARCore XR Plugin preview.1 - 2.2.0)

XCode v.10.2.1

I notice that if I downgrade the ARKit XR Plugin to the older version:
    ARKit XR Plugin preview.5 - 2.1.0
    I have no errors during Xcode compilation.
    What would can be?

Thank you

Attached Files:

18. santosh13

santosh13

Hi ,
    Downgrading gives me error in unity. I seem like problem is in xcode build.

19. underkitten

underkitten

For
    AR Foundation preview.1 - 2.2.0
    ARKit XR Plugin preview.1 - 2.2.0

You also must have Xcode 11 beta and iOS 13 on your device.
    Downgrading XR plugin helps. But I am not sure if 2d-3d tracking and occlusion will be supported.
    I run my system on the latest versions and everything works just fine.

Can you send a snippet of this error?

20. BobbyVR

BobbyVR

I also cannot build using the following:

macOS 10.14.2
    Xcode 9.4
    Ar foundation plugin 2.2.0
    ARKit XR plugin preview.5 - 2.1.0
    IPhone 6S Plus with iOS 12.3.1

I would like to build a stable version that works on released version of iphone 6s plus, not beta ios 13. I downgraded ARKit XR plugin preview.5 - 2.1.0, but it still has the same errors. Can you please direct me to the most stable and build-able version please? Or a fix for this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  21. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

AmshuRak and Gerrickg like this.
  22. santosh13

santosh13

Hi ,
    Sorry for late reply.
    Below is the attachment of the error that i mention above.
    I am using AR Foundation 2.1.0 preview 3 and ARkit XR Plugin 2.1.0 preview 3.

Attached Files:

23. santosh13

santosh13

24. santosh13

santosh13

Hi ,
    Even i tried by downgrading ARkit XR Plugin and AR Foundation Plugin , but same error occurs. Is their any way to solve it ?

Thanks !

25. BobbyVR

BobbyVR

I have tried again to compile after updating macIOS and Xcode to the below versions. I now have a new error "IsPlatformVersionAtLeast", reference from libUnityARKitFaceTracking" The entire log is attached below. tdmowrer I have infact both attempts used supported versions https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples#warning-arkit-3-support. Please let me know if any version I am using is not supported.

macOS 10.14.3
    Xcode 10.2.1
    Ar foundation plugin 2.2.0
    ARKit XR plugin preview.5 - 2.1.0
    IPhone 6S Plus with iOS 12.3.1
    iOS Deployment Target is 12.2 (found in Xcode/Unity-iPhone/project settings/Info/Deployment Target)

Attached Files:

26. santosh13

santosh13

Hello ,
    As per link https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples#warning-arkit-3-support suggested by @tdmowrer i found https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples/tree/2.1 sample project which work fine for me. I started with fresh project by building "SimpleAR" Scene from given repo.
    I am using following version of :
    - Unity 2019.1.6
    - xCode 10.2.1
    - ios 11.0
    - ARFoundation preview 3 ( 2.1.0 )
    - ARKit XR Plugin preview 5 ( 2.1.0 )
    - ARcore XR Plugin preview 5 ( 2.1.0 )
    - ARkit face tracking preview 6 ( 1.0.0 )

Am not sure , but what i think is error occured due to missing package or library from ARFoundation. Please let me know if someone found exactly solution for this.

Thanks !

BobbyVR and underkitten like this.
  27. underkitten

underkitten

I had the same error once. I have xcode 10.2 and xcode 11 beta. In project settings I had xcode set to the latest version (which is 11) but I tried to deploy the project with my old xcode 10.2. Hope that helps.

28. BobbyVR

BobbyVR

/arfoundation-samples/tree/2.1 worked for me. Thank you santosh13!!!

29. BingjieX

BingjieX

Hi ,

I'm getting the same error while building the sample scene for ios using LWRP support 2019.1 with 2.1 branch. I tried to downgrading the ARFoundation/AR kit packages for 2.1 but then getting unity errors. Please let me know if someone found solution for this.

Thanks !

sathya likes this.
  30. AmshuRak

AmshuRak

Had the same issue, but following the table in this link I was able to fix it. My unity version was 2019.1.5f1 and I downgraded my ARKit plugin to version 2.1.0 and then switch my XCode version on cloud build to 10.2

I guess you may need to play around with these settings by referring to the documentation above.

31. waldgeist

waldgeist

I think there should be at least a warning in the Unity package manager that 2.2.0 is not compatible with Xcode 10. Took me a while to get here...

32. kylemas

kylemas

Hi! I'm also encountering the same errors.

Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:

"_OBJC_CLASS_$_AREnvironmentProbeAnchor", referenced from:

objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXREnvironmentProbeProvider.o)

"_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARImageTrackingConfiguration", referenced from:

objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRImageTrackingProvider.o)

"_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARImageAnchor", referenced from:

"_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARReferenceImage", referenced from:

"_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARObjectAnchor", referenced from:

objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRObjectTrackingProvider.o)

"_OBJC_CLASS_$_ARReferenceObject", referenced from:

objc-class-ref in UnityARKit.a(ARKitXRObjectTrackingProvider.o)

"___isPlatformVersionAtLeast", referenced from:

ARKitXRFaceProvider::ARKitXRFaceProvider() in libUnityARKitFaceTracking.a(ARKitXRFaceProvider.o)

ARKitXRFaceProvider::OnSessionPreUpdate(SessionPreUpdatePayload*) in libUnityARKitFaceTracking.a(ARKitXRFaceProvider.o)

_UnityARKit_FaceProvider_GetSupportedFaceCount in libUnityARKitFaceTracking.a(ARKitXRFaceProvider.o)

_UnityARKit_FaceProvider_SetMaximumFaceCount in libUnityARKitFaceTracking.a(ARKitXRFaceProvider.o)

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I'm running XCode 9 and ARKit XR 2.1, Unity 2018.4.2f.

33. scottunity

scottunity

It would be great if Unity posted clear guidance on using AR Foundation/ARKit for iOS. I have the same compiling issues as others here trying to link.
    This provides some insights https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples#warning-arkit-3-support
    however even those combinations don't work or at least don't fill in the necessary details.
    At this point I'm on Unity 2019.1.2f1, reverted to AR Foundation and ARKit packages to 2.1 (hidden under preview popup). In Xcode I have to manually add ARKit Framework. By default the unity project comes in as 32-bit? So I have to play with that (Standard, arm64) and try to set it to iOS 12. Still no luck.

Please consider documenting all the combinations that work and include any manual settings required in xCode and Unity.

Futurristic likes this.
  34. scottunity

scottunity

Re-created the test project from scratch and was able to get it to compile. Choosing ARKit 2.1 and AR Foundation 2.1 and setting flag in player prefs to require ARKit iOS 12.0 and target iPhone only. Arhecture Arm64. In Xcode added ARkit framework. Deployment 12.0 on devices: iPhone..

35. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Packages have been updated. Latest Packages/manifest.json should look like this:

"com.unity.xr.arcore": "2.2.0-preview.1",
    "com.unity.xr.arfoundation": "2.2.0-preview.3",
    "com.unity.xr.arkit": "2.2.0-preview.2",
    "com.unity.xr.arkit-face-tracking": "1.1.0-preview.2"

ARKit libraries are compiled with Xcode 11 beta 3 and are compatible with iOS 13 beta 3. As before, the ARKit package is not (yet) backwards compatible with iOS 12.

36. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

That was my attempt at clearly documenting all the issues. What combinations do not work?

This should not be necessary.

The default is "Universal", and if you have the ARKit XR Plugin package, it requires you to change this to ARM64 before allowing the build to go forward.

37. kayy

kayy

I have to stick with 2018.4.2 (update to 2018.4.x possible). I tried to run the arfoundation-samples-1.5-preview with AR Foundation 1.5.0-preview.6 as recommended in the GitHub Readme.
    Now I don't know what to do with ARKit XR Plugin
    Using version 2.1.1 the editor shows 3 errors like:
    Assets/Scenes/ARCollaborationData/TCPConnection.cs(119,11): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ARCollaborationData' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Switching to ARKit 2.2.0 generates the Xcode project fine (just a warning about Unity.XR.ARKit.Runtime.Tests.asmdef which should not matter) but the Xcode linker fails with 5 errors:
    Undefined symbol OBJC_CLASS_$_ARSkeletonDefinition, ...ARBodyAnchor, ...ARMatteGenerator, ...

I don't want to intalls beta versions of iOS and Xcode.
    What can I do?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  38. Dalton-Lima

Dalton-Lima

[Fixed]
    I had a similar problem like the one in the op from @MaxXR and many others in this post when trying to make a build in Xcode.
    The culprit was a wrong ARkit XR Plugin version in Unity, which tries to use features from a later AR Kit version in Xcode thus giving those errors related here.

I manage to get working with this setup (for those in 2018.4.x, like @kayy )
    • Unity 2018.4.5f1
    • AR Foundation 1.5.0-preview.6
    • AR Subsystems 2.2.0-preview.3
    • ARKit XR Plugin 2.1.1 (update from 2.1.0-preview.5)
    • XCode 10.3 (building to an iOS 12.4 device)
    If you are running Unity 2019.x with AR Foundation 2.x you probably want to find the correct ARKit XR Plugin as state above by @tdmowrer

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Antimon13, carolinekaminari and kayy like this.
  39. kayy

kayy

Thanks @Dalton-Lima. I upgraded to Unity 2018.4.5 to have exactly the same setup like you but the compile errors in TCPConnection.cs remained.

I finally fixed it by:
    • Removing the whole folder Assets/Scenes/ARCollaborationData
    • Downgrading package ARKit Face Tracking to version 1.0.1
    The ARCollaborationData seems to be a problem even with Unity 2019 like stated in this GitHub issue.

The original manifest.json in 1.5 samples contains "com.unity.xr.arkit-face-tracking": "1.1.0-preview.2", which causes the linker error Undefined symbols for architecture arm64: "___isPlatformVersionAtLeast", ...

Finally I switched back to Unity 2018.4.2: Working too

carolinekaminari likes this.
  40. Dalton-Lima

Dalton-Lima

Glad that you find this workaround.
    In our project (not an ARFoundation sample) we aren't using ARKit Face Tracking

carolinekaminari likes this.
  41. Pn-io

Pn-io

@tdmowrer
    In the AR foundation sample project's "HumanBodyTracking3D" scene, I want to change default 3d model i.e Robot to my custom 3d character.
    I am getting some errors while exporting my character on USD format from the blender in many ways, but the bone hierarchy is not working properly.

So my question is that do a prefab made out of FBX file will work here in getting the joints data from Human body tracking? I tried this but my character is stretching and twisting every time when I apply bone controller script on my prefab made from FBX. without this script, the character is tracking the user's position but not joints data. Please clarify this issue, I am seriously stuck in this and have spent 3-4 days.
    Thanks
    Pn-io

42. stich34

stich34

This may be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find any documentation or methods to access the anchor points of a WorldMap once it is read back into an ARSession, to relocalize newly spawned content's position and orientation? In swift it is as simple as extracting the anchor from the world map and adding the content as a child. Can someone point me in the right direction?

43. Pn-io

Pn-io

somehow I was able to achieve the required result. So we don't need to use USD format files for AR foundation sample scene. and all the bones should have the same name and same transform values as of Robot 3d model, technically the rig structure(name, position, rotation, scale, parenting) should be entirely the same as of Robot model.

44. oldertoper

oldertoper

@tdmowrer
    I've encountered the same problem here.
    I was exporting an AR app to my ipad and there was no error until the linking part. (2.png)
    Using the following version of:
    macos 10.12.6
    ios 11.4
    xcode 9.1
    AR foundation 2.1
    ARKit 2.1
    ARCore 2.1
    My other classmates have exported them successfully with the player settings in the 1.png just like mine.
    Seems I can't find the answer so come here to ask. Does anybody know how to solve this?

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      424.1 KB
      Views:
  45. midhapulkit28