Search Unity

Error: "Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet."

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JJJAGUAR, Dec 25, 2017.

1. JJJAGUAR

JJJAGUAR

Sometimes I get the attached errors for no reason.
    I'm still able to compile and run the game and everything works fine. Sometimes the errors even disappear, but come back randomly. Any ideas what is this?

Attached Files:

trombonaut and Ayushjadham like this.
  2. drcrck

drcrck

This thing is not fixed and still happens

3. Immu

Immu

Same problem here. using Unity 2018.1.6f1 (with LWRP)

Deleted User likes this.
  4. malkere

malkere

My Frost Nova spell was working fine, 2017.1.0f3. Crashed. Throws this error every time now.

5. Cinabutts0

Cinabutts0

Damn, i was hoping for an answer lol I'm using Unity 2018.1.6f1. I tried this lowpolywater asset and it's giving me this error and not making the water shader work.

Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _RefractionTex (type 3 count 1)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

MadyStudio likes this.
  6. malkere

malkere

It seems to come and go without warning or reason. A restart or two seems to put it at rest.

7. purnamasari

purnamasari

Damn, this things ruin my project. All I had to do is remove this experimental package and change the shader to standard again. Seriously, backup your project before trying this new things.

8. drcrck

drcrck

Just deleted 20 GB of editor logs full of this error :mad:

9. stream_in_space_

stream_in_space_

Switching between a scenes helped to me, unlike to rebooting the project and the pc... magic error.

10. drcrck

drcrck

Any ways to understand what object causes it, at least?
    I get 999+ messages every time I switch to Scene tab

PS Disable editor logs by adding -logFile NUL to unity shortcut or they'll take all available space on your system disk

11. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

I just ran into this for the first time after installing the LWRP package. Oddly, it didn't occur until a day into using the LWRP. I've managed to resolve it. It was a matter of finding the offensive shader and deleting it.

12. Bas-Smit

Bas-Smit

13. jeffweber

jeffweber

For what it's worth, I'm getting this currently in 2019.3.6 beta... seems tied to the Universal Rendering Pipline??
    Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 2.35.28 PM.png

trombonaut and mafole4x like this.
  14. jeffweber

jeffweber

Still getting this... in 2019.3.0f3

15. Tushar98

Tushar98

Try,
    Edit -> Render Pipeline -> Lightweight ( or High Definition) Rendering Pipeline -> Upgrade Project to LightweightRP (or HighDefinitionRP) Materials
    It may help. This solved my problem.

16. iyengaranirudhan

iyengaranirudhan

I have imported an asset an it says the same . Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_HDR (type 1 count 1) in unity in 2019.3.3f1

17. Adam_Starcaster

Adam_Starcaster

This is annoying, worked fine before now its f'ed.

18. apeltheoryx

apeltheoryx

I'm now getting this error, as well.

geraldp48 likes this.
  19. ffman22

ffman22

I am getting that error but with the Universal render pipeline with the 2D set up
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _BackgroundTexture_ST (type 1 count 1)
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

mafole4x and wlwl2 like this.
  20. Melloe

Melloe

No leads for fixes on this?

21. wlwl2

wlwl2

I get the same error.

22. Hobodi

Hobodi

same error 2019.3.12f

23. ZombieLuka

ZombieLuka

Thanks man this solved the issue for me.

24. MatthewJPatterson

MatthewJPatterson

I also have this error, and all the solutions posted have not worked. If I open up a new project, import a package with the same assets, the shaders work fine. Quite frustrating, I have due dates on this work, and I've put in a lot of effort into what I have.

25. MatthewJPatterson

MatthewJPatterson

Furthermore, if I make a package out of my main project to import into a new one where the shaders are working, the shaders from the package don't work as well.

26. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

We had this issue and in our case we traced it back to a cutout shader included with the Realistic Effects Pack which was never updated. We nuked that whole folder and our errors disappeared. YMMV but this solved it in our case.

27. Tyrant41101

Tyrant41101

the errors only show up if you either have the gameobject w/ the shader on one of its materials selected, or if it is being rendered by the camera (editor camera too). You can use when the errors start and stop as you rotate the camera to pinpoint the gameobject w/ the faulty shader (if u are running a srp, something w/ a shader for a different srp usually is the problem.)

If this doesn't work, see if all of your project materials are in the latest version (edit-renderpipeline-upgradeprojectmaterials) and check if ur srp is on the latest version too

Hope this fixes your problems!

28. Tyrant41101

Tyrant41101

they only appear when the shader is within the frustum of the editor camera

w4der likes this.
  29. EntertainmentEnterprise

EntertainmentEnterprise

This error appears when there is nothing in the scene at all in a new project on both HDRP and URP with recently updated assets imported and all materials/shaders upgraded. It has nothing to do with what's in the view frustum of the camera, at least not in my case. Any other ideas anyone?

30. JanusAnderson

JanusAnderson

I'm seeing this problem too in my current Unity 2020.1.16f1 URP project. Hoping someone has an answer here...

mafole4x and Swoff like this.
  31. Chupakabru

Chupakabru

mafole4x likes this.
  32. djscotchy

djscotchy

I had this issue and in my case it was with the Realistic Effects Pack. I deleted that whole folder and my errors disappeared.

Ymmersive likes this.
  33. jashan

jashan

Seeing this in a Unity 2019.3.12 project. Upgrade Project to LightweightRP (or HighDefinitionRP) did not help.

It sucks really badly that Unity engineers seem to be complete amateurs incapable of writing code that will log useful error messages when unexpected things happen. It's like the very worst of Windows.

I have just spent two days going from one error like that to the next.

This is clearly not how you "take the pain out of game development".

Jontac, andy36379 and boxhammer like this.
  34. boxhammer

boxhammer

Did you find a way to use the Realistic Effects pack without this shader, or did you remove the entire asset?

Also - what shader was the issue so I can remove it from my project?

35. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

That is the proper question: How to trace back that problem?
    Does anyone know?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  36. MFKJ

MFKJ

Is there any progress about the error it seems related to URP and Occlusion culling and my project is also crashing. I am developing for webgl 2019.4.1

37. Javiiillar

Javiiillar

Hi Everyone,

I'm very noob with Unity (and with GameDev in general), but what it works for me, it's just change the "shader" type from "Low Poly Water/Water Shaded" to "HDRP/Lit" shader.

Maybe I'm just throwing some non-sense fix and there are things that I'm missing doing this but it works for my "prototype project" and it's more than enough.

I got this error when I tried "LowPoly water" asset (LowPoly Water | Particles/Effects | Unity Asset Store) and I'm using HDRP.

38. radiantboy

radiantboy

Started getting this tpday on unity 2021.1.0f1, any ideas how to fix yet?
    EDIT: located a prticle system with a shader that wasnt HDRP, seem ok after upgrading that

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  39. Tymianek

Tymianek

Having the same issue 2020.3.4f1, HDRP 10.4

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  40. DathranEU9

DathranEU9

Same issue here, was fine a few months back, now all of a sudden broken.

41. DGordon

DGordon

Happened to me, 2020.3.4f1LTS HDRP.

42. LVE

LVE

Same issue (Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _BackgroundTexture_HDR (type 1 count 1), 2020.3.7f1

Tymianek likes this.
  43. Tymac

Tymac

This fixed the issue for me. I was able to find the faulty distortion shader by going through and disabling gameobjects and scanning my scene.

Note - you still get the error when the faulty gameobject is disable if you select it in the hierarchy window.

Wambosa and kapturner like this.
  44. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

Same on 2021.2

45. chelceaclaudiumarian

chelceaclaudiumarian

Solution found!!!

46. Wambosa

Wambosa

I was having this problem yesterday... had a dream err nightmare about pink shaders..
    Then I read this comment and finally figured out it was my un upgraded shaders for these dummy cubes I had laying around the scene. I changed the mat and the error went away.

The odd thing is, the error stream took a long time to show up. That is, when I enabled the object during testing, there was no error. It seemed to occur minutes later, then I could never get it to stop, so it was tough to identify what I changed to trigger it. The error message could definitely use improving, it was a real headscratcher until I came to this thread. Thank y'all for sharing the trouble and what y'all tried.

47. cidolfas2015

cidolfas2015

I had this error with URP. I dunno if I completely removed it since it seems random but it was showing up with 2 objects on screen, I disabled one and changed the other to unlit from lit. not sure which of these actions did the trick but I haven't seen the error for a while now.

48. marartb1

marartb1

For everyone that have this error , reset Y Unity editor windows layout to default.
    Working form me.

BertrandSnap and rogodoy like this.
  49. madfu

madfu

i think i might have a solution to this problem, if the source of the errors is from KriptoFX's Realistic Effects Pack v4 asset.

some context, 'cause you might have to follow the same steps i did.

i also ran into a slew of errors of this form when i updated my project from 2019.4.28f1 to 2020.3.22f1.
    i never saw this problem when running on 2019.4, despite multiple upgrades of the Unity Editor/Player.

like some others here, the error consistently appeared when i was running my project in the Editor, with the Scene View visible alongside the Game View. in my case, the camera within the Scene View had to be pointed at a place in my scene where i was instantiating a particle system. if the camera within the Scene View was pointed elsewhere, the problem never presented.

with some debugging (i know very little about Shaders), i was able to isolate the problem to a single part of my project, somewhere within the Effect 4 prefab of KriptoFX's Realistic Effects Pack v4 asset. i purchased this asset back in 2019, and it's been in my project for sometime. i'm pretty sure i've never updated it.

after reading through this thread (and against my better judgement), i deleted the Realistic Effects Pack v4 asset and re-imported it. re-running my project, i found i still had the same issues. however, running a 'git status' on my project (to see what had changed), i found that a new folder had been added to my project, HDRP and URP patches. checking the backup of my 2019.4.28f1 repo, i have confirmed that this folder was not in that version of my project.

within that folder is a Unity Package URP Patch. i ran this package and allowed the patch to update all the materials within this asset (even though i had already converted all of them within Unity ages ago) and to update all the prefabs.

lo-and-behold, i was able to run my test case without any errors. i'm guessing because this asset is so popular that i'm not the only person to whom this has happened.

hopefully, my experience is useful to someone.

50. lucamegio02

lucamegio02

Same issue, started appearing once my shader started requiring depth and HDR. Checking the required parts in the used renderer didn't change a thing