Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Error on different Update method on ScriptableObjects

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DarkRewar, Apr 10, 2024.

1. DarkRewar

DarkRewar

Hello,

I created a ScriptableObject which needs to be updated each frame like MonoBehaviour. That's why I made a component which contains a reference of my instantiated ScriptableObject, and then I call an update method on it.

The problem is that my method is "TestSO.Update(float deltaTime)" and the console throws me that error :

Script error (TestSO): Update() can not take parameters.

I think this is a bug because ScriptableObjects can not be updated with the Update() method like MonoBehaviours are. And, even if I declare an Update() method, it is never called at runtime.

I've got that error on any Unity version I could get (2021, 2022, and 6).

CodeSmile likes this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I agree, this check should not extend to ScriptableObject scripts. I was just starting a new project with Unity 6 b13, so I confirmed the issue and sent a bug report: CASE IN-73338

Besides renaming the method, Update() w/o parameters will also work since you can get Time.deltaTime from anywhere.

3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

CodeSmile likes this.
  4. Nad_B

Nad_B

Just rename it to Tick, it's kinda a standard in the gaming industry.

Ryiah and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Adding
    On
    to an event is common too so you could just name it
    OnUpdate

spiney199, CodeSmile and Nad_B like this.