Search Unity

Error:Non-convex MeshCollider with non-kinematic Rigidbody is no longer supported since Unity 5? So?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by blackgun, Aug 17, 2019.

1. blackgun

blackgun

Trying to pick up Unity for the next project, I created 2 gears to simulate the gear interlock motion with backlash.

upload_2019-8-17_0-32-41.png

but the test has a problem. non-conex collider can't display as the green mesh, the gears don't collide, as the gears pass through each other.

upload_2019-8-17_0-9-47.png
    upload_2019-8-17_0-9-35.png

convex collider can run without error, but it can't satisfy my need.

BTW, some other thought:
    1. I find the Unity physics APIs are very different to the PhysX APIs although its backed by PhysX, missing many features, I am a bit disappointed after 10 years or I missed something?
    2. A poor doc about physics and very outdated tutorial https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/3d-physics# created in 2013.

For many Unity developers who stick with this engine, maybe it's not a problem, but my experience can't give it a decent score after spending 2 days to google for doc, tutorial, and sample, but still can't get it working with such "matured" engine. In my previous project, I built the gears simulation demo for a robot application with ODE + OpenGL in 2 days from scratch in 2005.

Env:
    Unity: v2019.1.12f1
    MacOS 10.14.6

2. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

3. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

if you need a concave dynamic object you should make a "compound" collider.

for the gear example you can have a cylinder collider (don't think there's a primitive cylinder collider, maybe the capsule can be of use, but you can make a convex-mesh collider with this shape) and a separate triangle/wedge collider for each one of it's teeth (again, no build in primitive with this shape, make a convex-mesh collider).

just parent it all up so that each gear the center is the parent and each tooth is a child of it and it should work.

4. blackgun

blackgun

Thanks, but it seems very unstable and outdated.

Right, it's a solution. Cheers.

SparrowsNest likes this.
  5. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

Lemme know how that turns out for you.