Search Unity

Error: No PSM device found!

Discussion in 'PSM' started by Nekotika, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Nekotika

Nekotika

Each time I press the Build Run option, I'm getting the error: No PSM device found!

I can fix it closing and launching the PSM development assistant for unity in my psvita, but then the next time I try to build the game I get the same error again...

Is there any way of getting rid of that error message?

2. DFP

DFP

But can you just do the normal build option, and then use the publishing tools to prepare+load it?

3. mehulshukla

mehulshukla

SCEE Dev Support PSM

On the publishing utility, the PS Vita icon turns grey each time it is successfully connected. Can you check if it is? It may be that you have a driver issue or you can even try another port to see if that helps.

4. Nekotika

Nekotika

I've discovered that leaving the publishing utility for unity open while using Build Run option, fix the connection problem. A bit strange, but since I need the utility always open in order to read the console output, I don't care as long as it works :)

5. MrDude

MrDude

I am trying to do this via VirtualBox and am getting nowhere.
    When my Vita is sleeping, the virtual machine lets me select the USB device and when I wake it the USB device is ticked still. If I try to select it while the vita is awake it just tells me I can't because someone else is using it.

I would have thought that that means my Host machine is claiming ownership over it but inside Control Panel it does actually list the Vita under the USB devices but the driver has a little yellow icon on it. Looking at it a bit more closely it says an invalid command was sent to the USB driver and the driver could not be started. Reinstalling the driver gets me nowhere fast.

Strangely, if I uninstall the driver then try to reinstall it I am told it can't read some exe files so this whole driver thing is driving me nuts.

How can I get my VirtualBox to see the vita? Anyone?

Note how the publishing utility can see the device but Unity cannot... WTF?

$Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 8.25.14 AM.png

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  6. MrDude

MrDude

What does this mean? It can see the device but the connection is not ready??? What in the world does THAT mean?

$Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 8.36.36 AM.png

7. MrDude

MrDude

Is the "PSMToolsetForUnity_1.0.0.3.exe" file we have to download the same thing as the "PSM Tools for Unity" they speak about in the error message?

Cause it clearly states that if there is a driver problem, check the documentation and yet when I look in the documentation all I see is release notes...

Could someone PLEASE explain the 3 million steps to follow to get my little "Hello world" message to appear on my Vita?

8. PeterD

PeterD

When you installed the PSMTools it will have asked you if you wanted to install the drivers. You can check if they are installed by connecting your Vita and checking under device manager. If the vita appears ensure that there is no yellow warning triangle beside it. If it shows as a generic device, then the drivers are not actually installed correctly.

9. MrDude

MrDude

When I look in device manager, it shows the Vita (only when it is on, obviously) and the device is listed as "PS Vita" but it DOES have a yellow warning triangle on it. Looking at it more closely, it appears that the driver is made for the vita but it is released by Microsoft... is that correct?

Anyways, yeah, I installed the drivers, uninstalled the drivers, tried to reinstall the drivers but the files were all "in use" and are simply left there after they were "uninstalled" so when I try to reinstall it it gives me errors about not being able to open file x and file y or whatever and gives me the option to ignore or abort. This results in a reboot and manually deleting the files that were uninstalled before rebooting again and reinstalling the drivers again only for the yellow triangle to reappear...

4 days of this crap and going strong....

Here, have a look: Notice the "Installed" in picture 1 and the "not installed" in picture 3...
    $PSM1.png
    $PSM2.png
    $psm3.png

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. MrDude

MrDude

Oh and let's not forget...
    $PSM4.png

11. PeterD

PeterD

HI MrDude, yea the yellow triangle will be the problem. That's telling you the driver is not correctly installed and is therefore not actually running correctly. To uninstall it do the following.

1. Ensure the vita is NOT connected to the PC.
    2. Disable the driver.
    2. Uninstall the driver.
    3. Ensure the vita is still NOT connected to the PC
    4. reset the PC
    5. re-install the driver
    6, Connect the Vita to the PC

12. MrDude

MrDude

That sounds simple enough but there is one tiny issue with your instructions... as soon as I disconnect the Vita (or it just goes to sleep even), the USB device disappears from my Device Manager... I will go give that a try by just having the driver open before I disconnect the device and see if that makes any difference. thanks again.

Not sure if this will solve my issue as I have already installed the drivers multiple times... but it's the closest thing to support I've gotten on here or the Sony forums and at least it points to two things I didn't try before... having it unplugged when installing and disabling before uninstalling...

Fingers crossed...

13. PeterD

PeterD

Hi MrDude

Sorry I should have mentioned that the Vita actually shows as a disabled version of the PSM USB Debug when not connected to the computer, under the ports section of Device Manager.

This is the driver that you need to uninstall!

14. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

MrDude,
    I'm not sure about virtualbox, but I couldn't find a way for the device to be found (it's "Not Ready" as yours is) when using Parallels on OSX.
    I had to use windows directly (bootcamp), so something in the device translation from hardware to VM gets in the way (as it does for a few other devices I have).
    This shows me the driver is installed fine, but just cannot communication completely when in the VM.

I'm guessing in your case you can't try it directly?

15. PeterD

PeterD

Also remember that, when moving the vita from machine to machine, to reset the apps on it and the publisher key so that they match the ones on the current pc AND the one held by Sony's servers.

16. MrDude

MrDude

I made the extremists and went a bit overboard... I reinstalled Windows from scratch and then tried to install this stuff. Worked first time with 0 errors. Sees the Vita in the explorer, Unity no longer moans about not seeing a valid device... nothing...

...but now, for some odd reason:
    1. the Publishing assistant no longer detects the device...
    2. No matter what I save in the settings and where I save it to and how many different copies I save thereof, each time I hit build in Unity it still reports the Application ID as _PSM_DEFAULT_ so clearly Unity is not using the settings I created... How and where do I link Unity to the settings I created (and have active) in the Publishing Utility?
    3. More worryingly, now it successfully goes pst the whole "looking for a device" thing and doesn't ask me that any more but no it fails during post processing and just throws an invalid input exception error saying "String not in the correct format" but since it is during post processing it doesn't link to where or what nor does it give any clue as to what is invalid so I am stuck and going nowhere...

Seems I really waas right when I said there are 2 million steps to follow to get it to just show "Hello world". :(
    At least the one issue is sorted now... now on to the next...

$pam5.jpg

17. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

I think this thread has split into a few different issues/topics now, but just from the Virtual-Machine front, mine has actually worked this morning (On Parallels) and it may be due to the order I started things.
    This is not a double-checked or verified list, but in case it helps anyone, these are the steps I took;
    - Booted windows
    - Started Vita (no apps started)
    - Opened publishing utility
    - Plugged in usb (didn't mount the mass storage device in windows)
    - Device displayed as "not ready"
    - Opened dev assistant on Vita
    - Device displayed as "ok"
    - Deployed with no problem.

18. MDaveUK

MDaveUK

Awesome you got it to work in Parallels GrahamReeves. I tried replicating your steps, but I'm a little confused on one of them:

- Plugged in usb (didn't mount the mass storage device in windows).

Do you mean, when you plug this in, you choose Windows and not Mac as the connected host machine? Or do you mean when you plug in the USB, and you choose Windows, there is a popup in windows that asks what to do with the USB device? I don't seem to get that. I guess this is the critical part of making it be seen in Parallels :) So close to getting it to work too. All drivers installed fine. Just getting it to be seen is the last thing!

EDIT: Just thought I would try something: I just installed Content Manager Assistant and that seems to work perfectly fine in Parallels! Has no affect on Unity PSM publishing tool though, that still refuses to acknowledge anything.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  19. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

I choose Windows as the host machine, and it used to ask what to do with the device... I can't actually get it to do that any more...

If DevAssistant is NOT running, I see a "playstation vita" in my list of devices and drives in My Computer. (Publish utility shows; "Not Ready")
    If I open DevAssistant, (with the Vita still connected) that disappears and the publishing utility shows the device as "OK"

I'm actually trying to make it break now, but so far unsuccessfully!
    I can suspend the virtual machine, and start, and it still works, so nothing to do with having a clean boot.
    I'm still using the same USB port as I always have, so it's not to do with that.

Sorry I've not shed any more light on it yet, but if I can get it to break I'll reply immediately. Feel free to ask any questions at all about my setup if it might help.
    Just for clarification, I'm on a Macbook (OSX 10.8.5), Parallels Build 9.0.24229, Windows 8.1 (using the bootcamp VM)

20. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

When you have your Vita connected and DevAssistant running, do you see a device in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers ?

21. PeterD

PeterD

when you plug this in, you choose Windows and not Mac as the connected host machine? Yes! If you don't do this windows will not see the vita no matter what else you do from that point on.

Windows will pop up a dialog box asking what you want to do with the newly connected device. One of the options is mount it as mass storage. Select No!

22. MDaveUK

MDaveUK

I can't get it to show up in the publishing tool at all hah. In Device manager its there, Devices and Printers too.

When its running DevAssistant, it shows as "PSM USB Debug (COM4)" in Devices and Printers and in Device Manager. When it's not running, it's showing up as "Playstation(R)Vita"

I don't know how to get the dialog box to come up where you choose what to do with the device when I plug it in.

I'm running on a Macbook, OSX 10.9.2, Parallels Build 9.0.23046, Windows 8.1 (created the image using Parallels).

23. PeterD

PeterD

Ok. When you run Publishing assistant. Choose the key management tab. Your device should show under that with all status flags. If PSM is not running on the vita, then it will just show as a device that is in the not connected state. Start PSM dev for Unity (not PSM dev standard version) on the vita. The device will then show as status OK.

Are you sure that the PSM you have installed on the vita is the PSM for unity version because the Publishing Utility seems to be installed just fine so it's the vita that is not connecting and the only reason it would do that is if PSM either isn't running on it or you are running the PSM meant for the SDK and not the latest unity PSM.

24. MDaveUK

MDaveUK

I definitely have all the right tools installed :) Unity for PSM and the Publishing Assistant for Unity PSM. It won't show my Vita under the key tab, no status, nothing there.

It all works fine under bootcamp though! Looks like I will have to stick with that for now, ah well. Thanks for all the help!

25. PeterD

PeterD

A few people seem to be having your issue and so I tested with my work mac and parallels. From what I could see. The only way I was able to reproduce this issue was if I Didn't connect the vita to windows when parallels popped up it's "Is this usb device attached to windows or mac" dialog box (the one where you have to actually drag the usb cable to the correct little OS thumbnail).

If I chose mac then, provided I used the same usb port each time, parallels wouldn't ask me again even when the device was plugged in and unplugged. If I put it in a different usb port. Parallels would onec again pop up the dialog and this time I chose windows and everything worked as expected.

Only other thing I can think of sadly aside from one oddity in a different thread where someone is somehow running unity 4.3.3 with psm and so their apps don't launch on the vita.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  26. MrDude

MrDude

I just installed everything from scratch again, this time on my cousin's windows laptop so no more VM nonsense... Again, installing onto Windows7 tells me the Vita driver installation was unsuccessful. Even on a Windows machine I still can't get this thing to actually work.

When are we getting Mac support for this ? :(

I just read somewhere that one of the 'catches' with this is that you have to INSTALL the publishing assistant BEFORE you install Unity... I guess that is the next thing on my to do list. I can't believe that the combination of Unity and Sony gives is such a low tech solution that it takes months to figure out how to get a released product to work and neither Sony nor Unity can give us any guidance in how to make their software work...

No wonder it is free :(

27. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Worked first time for me and my girlfriend.
    I use mac - windows 7 on parallels desktop VM - worked first time.
    She uses pure windows 7 - worked first time too!

I've seen quite a few people having problems, but have experienced none, just saying in Unity and Sonys defence ^_^

P.S +1 for Mac version, moving large projects which then has to reimport, then having to switch platform to psm for it to then reimport again takes quite a while. :3

28. MrDude

MrDude

this is the problem with Windows... Drivers and driver conflicts. This is what it nice about Macs, none of that. :(

Seems they should have said: Vita publishing now available to Unity users... who has this and that system with such and such a screen card made by so and such. If not, too bad, his is not for you because we can't possibly make stuff on Windows work for all Windows users, c'mon.... if we could then why would anybody buy Macs? :(

I have also read of numerous people who, like you, had success on the first try... but so many people struggle like me and after months of trying to get it up and running neither Unity nor Sony can tell me how.

I waited patiently for the first public release, hoping they would solve this issue and that this issue was purely related to the beta build but then what did they do? "Okay, guys, did you get the rear pad working? Great, then ship it with all the other bugs in place! Good job everyone" :(

This is a definite fail on both their houses...

29. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Just so that we get the terminology correct :

It's "Publishing Utility for Unity", which is a Windows application, part of the "PSM ToolSet for Unity" installation.
    Then it's "Development Assistant for Unity"(or DevAssistant for short), which is a PS Vita application, available from the PS Store.

Now, firstly the DevAssistant must be running on the PS Vita before you can do anything from the PC side (either using the Publishing Utility, or the Unity Editor itself).
    This communication is handled through the PsmDeviceForUnity.exe running on the PC - you can verify this by opening the Windows Task Manager and look for a process with that name.
    Once the PsmDeviceForUnity.exe recognizes the DevAssistant (or vice versa), there will be a small notification showing up in the top right corner.

PsmDeviceForUnity.exe can also be used to inspect the status of the connected devices, using -list_devices.
    The '-list_devices' command must report "on", like this

aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeeeeeee Vita on 0123456789abcdef0

before any of the other tools (Publishing Utility / Unity Editor) can do anything.
    If it reports 'off' then that (usually) means the DevAssistant isn't running on the PS Vita.
    If it reports 'drivererror' then that means there is something funky with the connection.
    Try any of the following:
    • Unplug / plug the PS Vita back in
    • Using the Windows Task Manager, end the PsmDeviceForUnity.exe process (it will start again once needed)
    • Reinstall the driver (comes with the "PSM ToolSet for Unity" installation)
    If '-list_devices' doesn't show anything (or just 0) then I would suggest checking the Windows Device Manager to see if there is indeed a PS Vita attached/recognized, and whether it needs a manual driver installation.

30. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Also i'd like to add onto eriQue's post 'Try a different USB slot'
    A friend of mine had a wireless usb card, and it worked only in two of his 4 usb slots, it took us many hours of reinstalling drivers and such to realise this easy fix. If one doesn't work, try the next, until you've tried them all.

31. MrDude

MrDude

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I will verify I do it that way when I do a clean install of Windows and unity and everything this weekend. Just one thing, though... Each time I install the drivers for the Vita, something goes wrong and I get a yellow triangle. The message during installation is the standard "Driver installation was not successful" super useful message and when I go to the manual driver installation process it tells me the driver cannot be located online so I should either quit or specify the path myself.

When I try to specify the path myself I never seem to find any drivers. And when I just say "Update driver" without selecting the best driver online, it just tells me the installed Microsoft driver is the best driver there is.

So when you say I should do a manual driver installation, could you walk me through doing that, please? Cause I can't get it to work.

So far I have tried running this on Win8 and 8.1, 32 and 64 bit (all on VM) as well as Windows 7 on an actual Windows system. The first time around, on the 8.1 64 bit system it actually listed my device in the Publishing Utility but right next to the device it found it listed it as "Not ready". All other times on all other installations of Windows (VM or not) my device never appears in the Publishing Utility.

Same installation files, same process, no idea why once it saw the device but now never again... Just scroll to the first bunch of posts in this thread and see the images I posted. You will see that my device is listed and in the error window it says there is no device found. Listed but not found??? then you will see that driver installation succeeded but in one location it lists the Vita as Type B but it has no info on the driver. Not sure what that type B is cause lately it reports the device as type D but still with the yellow triangle and still it doesn't appear in the list...

I will try all your steps as outlined above, including the USB thing (that sounds like it might explain why it was seen one time and not seen the other time on the same version of Windows) but if it boils down to driver installation again (which I SERIOUSLY suspect will be the case... how do I find the driver and install it properly?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Much appreciated!

32. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Installing Unity, the publishing utility, and then inserting you vita by usb (remember to try different usb slots too) should be enough for it to automatically find, and install them. There must be something where missing, reinstalling windows does not seem necessary X_X maybe update Microsoft framework? Have you done a full windows update?

33. MrDude

MrDude

Formatted HDD, reinstalled Windows 7 professional. Installed updates, downloaded and installed .Net 4.
    Installed Publishing Utility, Installed Unity (didn't open, yet)
    Started Publishing Utility, tried to get my key, found out I couldn't... logged into the website, found it has expired, so I purchased it again. Went back to Publishing Utility, it found the key just fine.

Then I plugged in my Vita and lo and behold, just like every other time before it, the driver installation failed. Big surprise. Didn't I predict that will happen? :(

As for afterward, whenever I plug in the Vita it spins for a few seconds then tells me it cannot connect to the device and suggests I install Content Manager.

Tried the three USB ports, all the same issue... when the Dev Assistant is open, Device Manager logs an unknown device and a port but when it is off, Device Manager reports an unknown device and the Vita. In both cases the Publishing Utility it saying there is no Vita.

-list_devices causes an error on execution: "Invalid argument: -list_devices" so the Publishing Utility won't even start. Maybe I am doing this wrong? I duplicated the shortcut and tried to add the param to the end of the "target" within the quotes but I was told the target was invalid so I made the target be "c:\[full path].exe -list_devices" and that is yielding the Invalid argument error on start.

As expected, the drivers are the issue so that begs the question... will Unity 5 only support Vita building on Windows platforms or are you guys finally releasing a Mac version of the tool (as I understand it Sony is not making one so I am guess you are ditching the Mac users, am I right? )

Clan install of every thing and still no go. Is there no standalone driver I can install or update or something? Am I stuck forever installing the same drivers that don't work over and over? You know what Einstein said about the definition of insanity, right? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

34. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Nice quote at the end.
    Install content manager :) (again?) Try get that working first.

35. Black_Eagle

Black_Eagle

Just keep restarting the Dev Assistant until you see the popup saying PSM Debug Connected

36. PeterD

PeterD

:eek: A simple question. What's the definition of madness? To keep trying the same thing again and again expecting a different outcome!

Restarting dev assistant again and again until you see a pop-up saying PSM Debug Connected isn't actually a sane course of action. Windows will automatically connect to anything it finds on the end of a USB port and attempt to find the driver for that device. It takes varying amounts of time for windows to locate the device depending on what else it is currently doing. Likewise Dev assistant will keep retrying to connect to windows as long as the vita is awake and in the dev assistant app. There is usually NO pop-up when the connection happens.

37. MrDude

MrDude

Clearly there is something going on in the background because, as I said, device manager lists stuff and when I plug the vita in, it changes. As for the Content Manager, I am thinking that has nothing to do with this issue. The Vita OS detects it has something plugged into the USB port and tries to connect to it. When it fails it says 'Sorry, I couldn't connect. Click here for troubleshooting tips for PS3 and here for troubleshooting tips for PC. Try re-installing Content Manager'

I have never seen any mention that content manager is required for this to work.

I install the Publishing Utility and it asks me if I want to install the drivers. I say yes. I wait. It tells me the drivers were successfully installed. I plug in my Vita, Windows tells me it is installing drivers for the new device. I wait. It tells me driver installation failed and shows me an unknown device above my Vita USB port in the installation results window.

this led me to wonder wether there are specific hardware limitations in terms of what Vita models can be used with this software. My Vita is on the latest available firmware so it cannot be due to outdated firmware but with a completely new installation of everything including Windows and absolutely nothing installed on my system except Unity and the Dev Assistant... if the drivers still fail when everything else installed just perfectly then i must assume it is my hardware... yet nowhere have I seen any mention of Vita models this works on... and there is the fact that the very first time I tried to do this on my 64bit Win8.1 installation on VM, THEN it picked it up so that throws my hardware theory out the window...

I would have thought that Sony would be the better choice to ask for updated drivers but over here I have had someone from Unity answer me once. Over there I have had nobody from Sony answer me thus far so neither here nor there... I cannot get this to work and I have no idea why not.

I am wondering... is the fact that I am using a laptop with Dual core instead of Intel i{something}, might THAT have anything to do with it? Could it be my PC hardware? Are there any requirements for that?

I'll be dead honest with you... at this point in the battle I am prepared to take the money I would have spent on Unity 5 licenses and just buy a top of the range PC and just use Unreal Engine instead. With the change I can buy a year's subscription to an MMO or something to replace this struggling with something fun :(

Literally months now that I have been struggling with this and neither Unity nor Sony seem to have a clue why I can't get Unity to build to the Vita...

Truly disheartening... :(

38. PeteD

PeteD

That failed driver install is the problem. Though the question is why is windows attempting to install a different driver for the Vita when the Publishing Utility has already installed the correct one. Clearly there is a driver clash happening here.
    Do you have anything else plugged into the USB ports on this machine?
    Windows should not be trying to install it's own drivers after the publishing assistant has installed it's driver. Instead it should simply be using the one it has.
    Can you try removing the unknown device using device manager and then seeing if the Publishing assistant suddenly see the vita.

edit: I know this is a silly question but, are you certain you are running the unity PSM utility on the vita and not the SDK version only THAT shows up as an unknown device!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  39. MrDude

MrDude

I have no other devices connected, no.

To clarify, when I install the drivers, it reports that driver installation was successful. When I plug in the vita, nothing happens. When I start the DevAssistant on the Vita for the first time (or if I have it open when I plug in the vita) THAT is when Windows tries to install a new driver.

That last question of yours has me confused, though... it sounds like it might be relevant and if the problem is that I have the wrong app loaded on the Vita well then THAT could explain everything! ...but is there more than one "DevAssistant for Unity" app on the store??? As I understand it, there is one for use with the PSM SDK and one for use with Unity so if the one I am using shows me theUnity logo clear as day as I start it up then I know I am using the right one (as long as I am using the latest version, which I must be since I re-downloaded it a week or three ago. I can always try downloading it again if that could make a difference but... could you please explain that last question of yours a bit more fully, please?

Are you saying the SDK version will show up as an unknown device?

40. MrDude

MrDude

I just deleted it off my vita and searched for it in the store and started the download. Again it is doing something strange and it does this every time I download the app... I click on download once and then when I look at my download queue the app is listed twice.

Both items have the exact same name: "PlayStationMobile Development Assistant for ..."
    Both items show they were added at the same time but
    ...but they have two different icons...??? What's the deal with that?

41. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Search the store for 'unity' not dev assistant, as theres more than one, it'l help make sure you get the right one ;)

42. PeteD

PeteD

Yes it looks like you are a member of both the unity PSM and the standard SDK PSM programs and it is simply downloading both. This may explain why you are getting connection issues if you've been running the wrong one.

43. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

And the title of both apps are so long you cannot see the one that ends in '...For Unity' haha

Hence, search store for Unity, you may have to remove the previous ones to avoid a mix up

44. MrDude

MrDude

As I said before, the one I use starts up with the Unity logo. Kinda hard to miss a full screen Unity logo...

I thank you all for your assistance but I have given up on this. I am going around in circles doing the same thing over and over and I know for a fact the problem is with the drivers. Until Sony bundles working drivers with their kit there is nothing more I can do and asking here (where I actually get some feedback) is just as pointless as asking there (where I get none).

Clearly this is a Sony issue, not a Unity issue but I would have thought that since it is a Unity-Sony thing that perhaps Unity would have some way of providing some sort of assistance in some way... more than a single post saying to do the normal steps, at least.

Seriously, I have given up on this. Thanks again for your assistance but I don't think I'm going to waste any more of my time trying to get a broken thing working.

I'm done.

p.s. just to point out there has been a slight change in my situation, though...

I downloaded the latest versions of everything and after the Vita finished downloading the two apps (only one of which appears on the device mind you) when I run it I get a "There is a new version available" message so I download that. Great so now the latest version has been upgraded to the latest latest version. Excellent... but that makes no difference at all now because as of the latest installation in Windows I now get a "PSMDevice for Unity has stopped working" popup 3 seconds after I start the app now.

Every time. Rebooted, the works. Every single time. PSMDevice (or PSMUtility. I forget which) for Unity has stopped working. Frustration upon frustration upon frustration. Every new version brings with it new problems and no version allows me to use it as it is supposed to be used.

The vita seems adamant on downloading two apps but only showing one on my screen, the PSMutility refuses to run for more than 3 seconds and Unity keeps throwing out error messages in the PostProcessing phase (so no way to get to the thing that causes the error) as it cannot get the data it needs from the PSMUtility.

How in the WORLD can either Unity or Sony claim that this thing is ready to be released? How in the world diid this get out of Alpha testing?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  45. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I know your pissed off, but if you make games for other devices you'l know what works on one, doesn't work on some others, graphics models, cpu's, ram, OS versions, theres 6000+ official Android devices, and they'l be even more PC combinations and parts. What I'm trying to say is, theres probably 100+ unity psm developers that have done the process and its gone smoothly for them, and maybe only 3-4 others that it hasn't for. Theres so many factors involved..
    I know you need to rant, i would too in your situation, but try to keep your cool ^_^

We know that the PC your using is having lots of problems, have you tried another? or Laptops like i do?
    Theres only really 3 things you need.

Publishing tools PSM
    New Unity PSM exe
    Development Unity App on vita.

Borrow someone else's quickly, the installation and setup only takes 2 minutes. I'd rule out your PC completely though, its given you too much trouble.
    We can do this!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  46. PeterD

PeterD

Didn't you state that it works fine on other computers? If so then you are already aware that the issue lies with your current machine and install of windows. The crashing of the PSM utility will be because of a driver clash on the machine. I've asked you to check out the additional driver that get's installed OVER the official unity psm driver as this WILL be causing the crashes and communication issues.

At some point you will have either had a device like a tablet or phone or something attached to that machine and that will likely have installed USB drivers. Samsung devices are notorious for installing stuff like Keis or phone drivers that will kill anything else trying to use the usb ports.

I wouldn't recommend a machine scrub unless it's a last resort as I have never not been able to solve these issues simply by finding the offending devices drivers and properly uninstalling them.

47. MrDude

MrDude

I have tried this on Virtual Machines running Window 8 32 bit and 64 bit as well as Windows 7. I created completely new installations for this so there was nothing installed except Unity and this. Each time, driver problem...

So it was suggested that I try it on a real PC, not a VM, so I got this laptop. I DID do a complete scrub in that I installed Windows from scratch and have nothing installed except Windows and this. Same issue.

Telling me that I must have plugged something else in that installed other drivers.... that did not happen. I have had nothing installed except this and the only thing that has ever been plugged into the laptop since I did the install was the 8GB flash stick that contained the apps.

Telling me I should try it on another machine... I think I covered that already... :( I am not some complete n00b who tried installing it once and now throwing a temper tantrum cause my life isn't as charmed as Bill Gates's... I am a guy who has spent months trying to get this to work using clean installations of various Windows OSs ranging vrom virtual machines on Macs to physical machines running Windows as it's only OS.

It all sounds so bloody straight forward and simple so how come I am struggling for months on end? The problem I had always had with Windows is that it tries to cater to everybody by giving you a billion different hardware combinations and thus relies on a hundred billion people not employed by Microsoft to create drivers that work with the other trillion drivers in existence and just trust that all developers in the world are smart enough to make their software work with every other developer in the world's software without any problems... No way is that going to cause problems. No possible way... Driver conflicts, hardware conflicts, outdated drivers to make things that DID work yesterday work again after a new piece of hardware made your other piece of hardware useless...

This is why I abandoned Windows in the first place. With Macs, they dictate to you: "This is the hardware choices you have. Take it or leave it" but in return they make sure the OS has what it needs to run the hardware. So much so that you don't even get the option to mess about with drivers... So now this thing comes out and it is something I have wanted for years so obviously I am interested and I am willing to instal Windows for this... As long as I can see that it works then I will make my game on my Mac and once it is working I will backup the entire project, open it up in Windows and build from there.... No way in hell am I going to expose myself to Window's crap every day...

...but it turns out that this very crap that I am trying to steer clear of is preventing me from using this even to build an empty scene. I was willing to say that they did their best and the drivers they created are just not compatible with this one setup of mine.... That I can forgive. One group of guys trying to make a driver for their hardware and trying to make it compatible (or at least not be party to a hardware conflict with anything else) with all the untold other crap written by whoever whenever at whatever skill level... nobody is perfect... But in ALL my setups? Seriously? On 3 separate computers running 3 different OSes, one pure Windows, the other two running 2 different VMs each and each VM having 3 different versions of Windows installed and STILL I can't get this to recognise the hardware???

...then I have one person telling me that in all cases on all computers in all VMs and all versions of the OS I must have plugged in some other device that installed a driver that it shouldn't have... Cause, yes, I make sure to plug in every single device I own directly after I do a clean install of the OS... yes, I definitely do that... oh, wait, now I remember, no, I don't. :(

But maybe if I stop using the different OSs on VMs and stop using the laptop I got especially for this purpose, maybe I can get yet another computer and THIS time it will work... 4th computer system is the charm, right? :(

...or I can stick to my belief that this is a hack job and the only people this has ever worked for were super lucky.

@Jesusluvsyou I seem to recall you saying it worked on both your laptops.... Right? First try, no less. Right? Do me a favour, yeah? Print me a 3D model of you with your belly exposed, sitting in a Buddha pose and mail it to me. You know how what they say about those statues, right? "Rub the Buddhas belly for good luck"... I think you might do nicely also ;) :p You seem to have the same luck so care to share some with me? :D

I know I sound like a raving madman. I get that a lot... trust me, I get that a lot! :D I'm like one of those guys yelling at the top of my voice: "I'm not shouting!" I sound infuriated. I am not. I am just so totally tired of this... I am spent... I am depressed, I am disappointed, I am (literally) more bald than when I started, my blood pressure goes up each time I get those annoying bloody error messages saying "Sorry, you fail, try again. Maybe the 395833rd time's your charm"... I am just plain tired... I need to wait for them to release this as aMac publishing option or else I am going to have to give up on this cause this... is... just... not... working...!!! :( :( :(

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  48. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Haha i'l rub my belly for you (3 laptops, i forgot the girlfriends i installed it on too, one Mac with virtual windows 7, alienware windows 7 and her sony viao windows 7).
    I can't believe you've tried so many things >_<

Non hacked PS Vita? Original Cable? Removed all the dust and food bits in the connections? Using usb 1, 3 or 2 port?
    It'd be much easier if someone/i was there but sadly thats unlikely.
    If you do get your hands on someone else's pc/laptop don't uninstall anything, its likely they'l have all the framework and Microsoft windows updates up to date.
    Whilst that said, did you have all the frameworks (4.0?) and sdk's for windows installed?
    Maybe its a dodgy cable, i've got two iPhone ones, one works with mac, one doesn't, yet both work with Alienware windows.

Hope this gives you another thing to try before finally quitting, if worst comes to worst, you could pass on your project to someone to release/try ?

( IMG_3415.jpg You can pick up cables for £1 including postage these days, i've just had to replace my iPhone and ps vita one due to over-use, wire bits were sticking out where I've had the cable bent)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  49. MrDude

MrDude

Oh no... cables? :( Can you hear me sighing all the way from over here? :(

On the one hand I can agree that this could very well be a likely issue but, like I said before, I install the software and the drivers get installed to my system and then all is well. It is only when I plug in the cable that it detects the new device and then attempts to install drivers for the new device. Does this not indicate that the cable is functional? Or is THAT my mistake?

As for the frameworks... I honestly have no idea. As I have tried to make it abundantly seriously OVER clear in my previous rant...errr...post... I am not a Windows fan. I hardly ever touch it so what it needs, I do not know. I just tell it to download updates automatically and let it decide for itself what makes it happy. I did, however, after this Windows 7 install on the laptop, run into the error that the DevUtility wouldn't install because I needed .Net which, apparently didn't install with Win 7 Pro.

So I downloaded the web installer, let it install what it wanted to install, did the restart thing, tried it again, all went well...up until I tried to open the app. Immediately I got the error message saying the app has stopped working and that Windows is looking for a solution to the problem. After looking at a spinner for a fe seconds, the window goes away and nothing happens after that...

Oi.... and now to find cables to see if maybe the cable is the problem.... I do hope your girlfriend loves red bellies cause if you are gonna try and help me out you are gonna be doing a lot of belly rubbing...

50. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I've been a Mac guy the past 4 years, wanted to release games on IOS so had no choice but to switch over from Windows, i hated Mac at the time, but now its the total opposite, once you go Mac you can't go back haha.

Anyway, have you heard of Team Viewer? It allows a trusted connection to view your screen and control your mouse, its what i use to control one of my servers whilst I'm away from home, give me a few minuets and i'd like to think we can get this solved!

If your interested add me on Facebook or some other fast private chat. :)
    https://www.facebook.com/JesusLuvsYooh