Search Unity

Error loading window layout.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LucaHofmann, Sep 12, 2016.

1. LucaHofmann

LucaHofmann

Hello,

I am writing a custom EditorWindow. If I leave this window open while closing Unity I get some errors on the next startup of Unity. This window pops up:
    fail.png
    Errors:
    I commented out the whole initialization logic of my window. I imported my code to a new unity project and I finally installed Unity again. But the error still occurs. Any ideas?

I found this thread that seems to be the same issue.
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/289549/error-while-reading-window-layout.html

According to the decompiled WindowLayout the first error 'Failed to destroy views' gets thrown if Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll(typeof(View)); returns an array with a length higher than 0.

If tried to save the current window layout using Window->Layouts->Save Layout and restart Unity. The result is, that the whole docking area where my window was docket is broken.
    Errors:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    unity_ffAjoH6LMfHEwQ likes this.
  2. kimcgm

kimcgm

Had this problem happened to me after upgrading to Unity 5.5 (from Unit 5.3).

"Error while reading window layout: window #1 is null"
    I didn't know which window was causing the issue. I started closing all my custom EditorWindow (including external plugin from Asset Store), re-installing all plugins but still getting the error after many Unity restart.

Eventually narrow down to "Game" and "Scene" window.
    I just closed Game and Scene windows (right-click on the tap and chose "Close Tab"), then re-attached them back to my layout (Ctrl+1/Cmd+1, Ctrl+2/Cmd2).
    The error seems to have disappear for now.

3. mspencer

mspencer

I had this problem when the name of the EditorWindow subclass did not match the editor script filename. There were no compile errors.

4. lazer

lazer

Seems the classname must not only match but also the script must live in an Editor/ folder.

elseforty likes this.
  5. V0odo0

V0odo0

Having the same issue in 5.4. Didn't solve it yet but in my case this error is caused by loading objects with missing script reference. As far as I understand the missing scripts replaced with that FallbackEditorWindow internal class for showing us that the script being deleted instead of just showing null reference.

So if you having this issue I could recommend to check your project for missing scripts.

thefireowl likes this.
  6. RagoVK

RagoVK

I've got the same Problem: Editor-Script with own Window working fine until I close the Project and open it again. Then my own Editor-Window has disappeared and an Error-Message "Removed unparented EditorWindow while reading window layout" was in the Console.
    mspencer's Hint at #3 was the Trick: After I renamed my File.cs the same as my Class inside it, everything worked as it should ! My own Editor-Window can be alone or it can be docked to the Unity-Editor. When I close the Project and open it again, it's at the same Place as before and no Error-Message any more.
    My Script resides in /Assets/Editor/File.cs.

:)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  7. elektrofobi

elektrofobi

ben 5.4.4 versiyonunda bu sorunla karşılaştım. run an administrator modunda açınca olay düzeldi. Türkçe öğrenin amk.

cftcimert and devillee like this.
  8. devillee

devillee

dediğin gibi yaptım bende de düzeldi :)

berukulama likes this.
  9. Lypion

Lypion

hello, I have the same problem. The console window said Removed unparent EditorWindow while reading window layout when I restart my unity. Have you solved this problem?

10. JanTuts

JanTuts

Thanks, that seems to solve it for me too :)

11. elseforty

elseforty

anyone found a fix for this,
    my c# files names are the same as my class names but i still get this error,

Chentianyi02 likes this.
  12. Alumi

Alumi

It helps me after I rename the my-created EditorWindow