Search Unity

Error linking build to profiler.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pastaluego, Aug 18, 2018.

1. pastaluego

pastaluego

I've been on hiatus since 2017.x, and with it I had profiled builds hundreds of times with no issues. But now in 2018.2 I can't seem to link profiler to build without getting this error on build+run:

The build itself still works perfectly fine with no errors, but it just won't link to the profiler

I've tried updating unity, reinstalling, restarting comp, and even a friend on a completely different computer in a different state gets the error as well. And it even happens in a new empty project.

When the build is active, if I manually switch the profiler target back to the editor, and then back to the player again, the profiler starts kicking in. However, I noticed it was generating the same garbage that only running in editor should be generating, such as:

1. GetComponent returning null (should only generate garbage in editor, not build)
    2. Preupdate.sendmouseevents (should only generate garbage in editor, not build)

And these shouldn't be happening when profiling the build, so it must have been merging editor and build profiling somehow, or something, I genuinely have no idea.

My only theory is some sort of miscommunication between old unity version caches maybe overriding new ones or something. I have no idea. But I really need build profiling. If anyone can figure this out I will be incredibly grateful.