Search Unity

Error: Failed to update credentials. The .p12 file failed validation against Apple CA chain

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by lifetree, Mar 30, 2019.

1. lifetree

lifetree

I am trying to setup cloud build for iOS, and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I created a cert signing request from keychain access, uploaded to Apple Developer to create mobile provision, created certificate, downloaded, installed on keychain access, export .p12 file, and added .mobileprovision and .p12 files to Cloud Build Credentials in Unity to start build. And I get the error in the title.

Am I missing something? I am not finding much useful information while searching Google. I noticed that when adding the cert to keychain access, it immediately has a red "X" like it has an error. But I literally just generated and downloaded it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

2. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

I am seeing this error too when I try to update expired credentials. I think it might be a UCB issue.

3. victorw

victorw

Hey, yeah this is a UCB issue - we updated a piece of our infrastructure and it caused apple certificate validation to break unexpectedly when uploading new certificates. This should not have affected existing iOS credentials and we're just about to release the fix right now.

EDIT: The fix has been deployed now, if you see this again please submit a support ticket so I can investigate further.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  4. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

It is working for me now.

5. eodeveloper

eodeveloper

Not working for me. Could this be some other kind of reason why this is failing?

6. Tomoyuki_Naito

Tomoyuki_Naito

Not working for me, either. Could this be some other kind of reason why this is failing?

DurbsDev likes this.
  7. tcs_coe

tcs_coe

Its also not working for me

DurbsDev likes this.
  8. DurbsDev

DurbsDev

Also not working for me. Tried the steps mentioned by lifetree at the beginning of this post, and tried generating the new distribution cert in xcode. Both give this same error in Unity Cloud build.

Interesting that I managed fine with a new App store distribution cert last month.
    This cert is a new Enterprise (in house or ad-hoc) distribution cert. Could it be that the issue is specific to Enterprise distribution certs?

9. DurbsDev

DurbsDev

Wonder if the issue could be related to this:
    from https://developer.apple.com/support/code-signing/

Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Intermediate Certificate update
    New Enterprise iOS Distribution Certificates will be issued using a new version of the Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Intermediate Certificate. Apple development certificates will continue to be issued by the version of the Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Intermediate Certificate that expires on February 7, 2023, so you should keep both versions installed on your development systems and servers.

Xcode 11.4.1 or later is required to sign apps using certificates issued with the new intermediate certificate. If you are unable to upgrade to a compatible version of Xcode, you can continue to sign your apps using the command line. Download and install the new intermediate certificate to ensure that you can successfully sign apps with a newly created Enterprise iOS Distribution Certificate.

WWDR Certification Intermediate Certificate (Expires February 7, 2023)
    WWDR Certification Intermediate Certificate (Expires February 20, 2030)

10. DurbsDev

DurbsDev

@victorw
    The 2030 WWDR Cert is now used with all Enterprise Distribution Certs created after 2 September 2020. Is Unity cloud build checking for this cert as well now during validation against apple CA chain?

11. DurbsDev

DurbsDev

@Tomoyuki_Naito
    @tcs_coe

Are you attempting with an Enterprise (in house) distribution cert or App store distribution cert? This will help identify if the problem is specific to Enterprise distribution certs

12. tomdelle

tomdelle

is there some news to this problem ? got this error with an enterprise in house distribution cert created today

13. Wim-Wouters

Wim-Wouters

got this error with an enterprise in house distribution cert created today too...

14. Ralph1989

Ralph1989

@victorw Could you please check the above post
    I am having the same issues when we are trying to release with enterprise

15. louis030195

louis030195

migwellian and Qhuhuit like this.
  16. Qhuhuit

Qhuhuit

Same as @louis030195 on Windows, I'm pretty sure I have used this method before without issues.

17. kolmichcreations

kolmichcreations

I'm getting this error too.

What i have done:
    1) requested a certificate from a certificate authority using keychain access.
    2) Created the certificate on developer.apple.com using this request file.
    3) Downloaded the certificate
    4) Installed it to the keychain by double clicking it.
    5) Exported a .p12 file.

Important: I do have both apple intermediate certificates installed (Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certificate Authority valid till 2023 AND 2030)

Next to my created certificate is the message: This certificate is valid.

I submitted a support ticket right now. Please respond fast, cause my project is depending on unity cloud build.

Thank you!

18. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

19. unity_bF5kM769k-DwoQ

unity_bF5kM769k-DwoQ

I made cert request with windows, downloaded the cert from developer.apple.com and exported the cert with private key as p12 format. I am trying to add them as credentials for ad-hoc but I am getting error.
    Failed to update credentials! The .p12 file failed validation against Apple CA chain.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Vulcore likes this.
  20. SimonVigMillard

SimonVigMillard

For me it worked to set a password for the .p12 file. Without a password it would fail with the "failed validation against Apple CA chain." error.

21. amarjeet_y

amarjeet_y

I am trying to update The .p12 file for existing IOS credentials but it is showing me the error: The .p12 file failed validation against Apple CA chain. Did found anything on internet related to this. kindly unity team please help.