Search Unity

Error: Failed to load [...] because it was serialized with a newer version of Unity

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by GlaireDaggers, Oct 24, 2018.

1. GlaireDaggers

GlaireDaggers

Downloaded from Git as a zip file, Unity launcher informs me that the project version is 2018.3.0b4 (but I also tried 0b6).

Both in 0b4 *and* in 0b6 I get spammed with these errors on opening:

Failed to load 'C:/Users/KillaMaaki/Downloads/FPSSample-master/Assets/ScriptableRenderPipeline/HDRP_Assets/HDRenderPipelineAsset.asset' because it was serialized with a newer version of Unity. (Has a higher SerializedFile version)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Any ideas?

2. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

This did not happen for me with 0b6. I did get errors, but not that one. The errors I saw are in this thread.

3. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

You must download not as Zip, you must clone repo (18Gb) because it use LFS
    upload_2018-10-24_21-31-34.png

4. GlaireDaggers

GlaireDaggers

Yeah I just figured that out after taking a peek at several .asset files in Notepad and realized they were actually just linking to files stored in LFS.
    Whoops.

Gritus and arufolo like this.
  5. petera_unity

petera_unity

Unity Technologies

This will happen ... forever :) If anyone can come up with a nice way to make a project cloned without LFS or downloaded as ZIP fail 'gracefully' it would be cool. (btw my bar for grace is low as long as the error points ppl in LFS direction :))

-peter

twobob likes this.
  6. UnSkiLd

UnSkiLd

I wish I knew of the proper place to rant about this. My biggest beef is how Unity updates itself with new versions. It would be nice if Unity failed gracefully (in this issue and others I've seen), but really should be happening is a sense of backwards compatibility where I don't need to have 2 different installs of, for instance, Unity 2018.3.0f1 and 2018.3.1f1. I shouldn't need 2 installs - the newest version of Unity, especially in beta's, should be backwards compatible..how much more different cant it really be? Do the api's and classnames change that much? </rant>

FUNDEFEATED and DoomDude99 like this.
  7. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Yah... It seems its best to nab your Unity Installer and keep it safe somewhere, then grab your FPS SAMPLE template version, and keep that safe too... Consider both now 'your version' of your game. So if a new unity/fps sample comes out, then you have to decide if you want the new fixes and toys, or to save the conversion time.

If you happen to need to download Unity 2018.3.0 B12 like FPS Sample 2.0 requires, you can no longer select it from the unity-hub v1.3.2 due to 2019's release...

But this link will allow you to download Unity 2018.3.0 B12 :
    https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2018.3.0b12

DaftPuzzler and Journeythedev like this.
  8. Double-V

Double-V

I now got this error after updating to 2018.3.6f1, but I don't use github. Any ideas?

EDIT: And I also download packages through the package manager not with github. The things that have this error are all materials that used the HDRP, so I've tried removing it and installing again, but it didn't work.

9. alexrau

alexrau

I am having same issue as Double-V, but started when unity crashed and when after restarting on all my scenes (even ones that were not open). However when I open a scene file in text editor it says � v� � 2018.3.5f1 ����$

I tried upgrading to 2018.3.6f1, but did not help.

Any ideas on how I fix this?

10. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Well FPS Sample 2.0 required specifically Unity 2018.3.0 B12 https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2018.3.0b12

Yesterday (2/28/2019) FPS 3.0 was released on git-hub:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/FPSSample
    But, they have not updated any of the documentation on the website to reflect it.

The new 3.0 FPS sample requires Unity 2018.3.0f2

(this is the release 2018 Unity ! so that should make it more stable, right?)

Maybe update to FPS 3.0, unity 2018 prod, and see if it resolves and import your previous work. That's my plan, anyway...

Wish it was 2019! but I can make due with broken terrains I suppose.

Attached Files:

11. Double-V

Double-V

I mean this happens in my own project, not in the fps sample.

12. nrahul106

nrahul106

my doubt is also - does it cause any problem while building the project??

13. trumpk

trumpk

I solved this issie by changing the platform to Android and then returning to Windows

shreyas1316211, xMarlin and joukyuu like this.
  14. mushroomseasonisopen666420

mushroomseasonisopen666420

I just love unity so much guys

anycolourulike likes this.
  15. mrstruijk

mrstruijk

In case anyone else has an issue with this error after cloning an LFS repo: for me it was fixed when I PULLED the LFS files. 'Fetch' was not good enough.

16. olavodesenvolvedordejogo

olavodesenvolvedordejogo

i don't think i'm supposed to do this, but anyone, can you guys help me at my thread for console logging? thanks

17. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

Bumping this as its true for Megacity