Search Unity

Error editing scripts (on Mac)

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by jonlundy, Mar 25, 2018.

1. jonlundy

jonlundy

I'm attempting to use the examples to develop new code, and I'm running into a problem. I can run the examples fine, but when I bring up Visual Studio and edit the projects, I get a ton of errors about 'Unable to find CS files under packages. It looks like that a bunch of csprojs are being created referring to dependencies:

For example
    /Users/jlundy/unity/ECSTest/CSC: Error CS2001: Source file '/Users/jlundy/unity/ECSTest/Packages/com.unity.mathematics/Unity.Mathematics/uint4.gen.cs' could not be found. (CS2001) (Unity.Mathematics)

(and 94 more similar errors).

Looking in the Packages directory is a manifest.json. It is the version that was downloaded from the GitHub page for the example projects. I created a brand new project and copied this manifest in, and started to get the same errors in that project, so it is related to that in some fashion.

How can I resolve this so that I can edit the scripts and compile them? I downloaded the latest beta from the 'Welcome' post above.

Any guidance would be appreciated, this consumed a fair portion of today.

Thank you
    - Jon

2. van_ustwo

van_ustwo

I ran into the same problem.
    A work around is to copy Packages from /Library/Unity/cache/packages to your Unity project Packages folder.

jonlundy likes this.
  3. jonlundy

jonlundy

Thank you very much. That worked. The version that was in my cache was named with a version that I had to remove (i.e.
    mv com.unity.mathematics\@0.0.7/ com.unity.mathematics ,

and repeated for about a half dozen directories).

After that it started compiling... It is interesting that they are delivering the source for the ECS and job system.

4. sngdan

sngdan

They always said they would deliver the source, until it reaches a final stage at which some things will be taken to c++

Its a good approach

5. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

We are actually not planning to rewrite anything in C++. The implementation will stay in C#, and we will iterate over Burst as much as we can to shave off every performance issue we will encounter.

pvloon and jonlundy like this.
  6. sngdan

sngdan

Even better ;)