Search Unity

error CS0193: The * or -> operator must be applied to a popinter

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Unityprofi-66, Apr 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unityprofi-66

Unityprofi-66

What did i wrong? In Unity there is the error CS0193. I don't find a solution.

upload_2021-4-6_12-7-38.png

2. Antistone

Antistone

When asking for help debugging an error message, always show which line the error occurred on and post the exact text of the error.

It's also usually better to use code tags than a screenshot. Makes it possible for other people to search the code and copy/paste excerpts.

Stevens-R-Miller and exiguous like this.
  3. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Does make it into kind of a puzzle, though, doesn't it? I couldn't help but look over the picture and see if I could find the bug. Fact is, I don't see a pointer anywhere in that code (nor an unsafe block). I don't think that's the code that's producing the error.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Stevens-R-Miller likes this.
  5. Unityprofi-66

Unityprofi-66

ok i found the problem, thanks for your quick help :)

6. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Adding to Kurt-Dekker's sage advice:

When you get the answer to your question, post the answer so others can find it when they have the same problem.

VolodymyrBS and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  7. Ishanvireddy

Ishanvireddy

Yes PLEASE , im dying rn in order to find out whats wrong

8. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You must be kidding. It's a freakin compiler error, assuming you have the same thing.

The complete error message contains everything you need to know to fix the error yourself.

The important parts of the error message are:

- the description of the error itself (google this; you are NEVER the first one!)
    - the file it occurred in (critical!)
    - the line number and character position (the two numbers in parentheses)
    - also possibly useful is the stack trace (all the lines of text in the lower console window)

Always start with the FIRST error in the console window, as sometimes that error causes or compounds some or all of the subsequent errors. Often the error will be immediately prior to the indicated line, so make sure to check there as well.

All of that information is in the actual error message and you must pay attention to it. Learn how to identify it instantly so you don't have to stop your progress and fiddle around with the forum.

Remember: NOBODY here memorizes error codes. That's not a thing. The error code is absolutely the least useful part of the error. It serves no purpose at all. Forget the error code. Put it out of your mind.

Don't necro-post to old threads. Instead, learn how to fix your own typos, otherwise you're going to have a really bad time trying to program computers.

9. Ishanvireddy

Ishanvireddy

Tysm! Yes! I definitely want to know more and im kinda a begginer, i was trying to code the mouse movements thingy and faced this error, thanks for the help though.

10. Chronipocs

Chronipocs

i have the same error in code i wonder if someone can actually tell me and error in or outside the code. i wanted to test if it would move on the x rotation and i got the same error someone please help me
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class mouse_look : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public Transform playerBody;

public float ms = 100f;

void Update()
    {
    float mouseY = Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y"); * ms * Time.deltaTime;
    float mouseX = Input.GetAxis("Mouse X"); * ms * Time.deltaTime;

playerBody.Rotate(Vector3.up * mouseX);
    }
    }

11. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You have typographic mistakes. Go fix them. Here's how:

The complete error message contains everything you need to know to fix the error yourself.

The important parts of the error message are:

- the description of the error itself (google this; you are NEVER the first one!)
    - the file it occurred in (critical!)
    - the line number and character position (the two numbers in parentheses)
    - also possibly useful is the stack trace (all the lines of text in the lower console window)

Always start with the FIRST error in the console window, as sometimes that error causes or compounds some or all of the subsequent errors. Often the error will be immediately prior to the indicated line, so make sure to check there as well.

All of that information is in the actual error message and you must pay attention to it. Learn how to identify it instantly so you don't have to stop your progress and fiddle around with the forum.

Remember: NOBODY here memorizes error codes. That's not a thing. The error code is absolutely the least useful part of the error. It serves no purpose at all. Forget the error code. Put it out of your mind.

Tutorials and example code are great, but keep this in mind to maximize your success and minimize your frustration:

How to do tutorials properly, two (2) simple steps to success:

Tutorials are a GREAT idea. Tutorials should be used this way:

Step 1. Follow the tutorial and do every single step of the tutorial 100% precisely the way it is shown. Even the slightest deviation (even a single character!) generally ends in disaster. That's how software engineering works. Every step must be taken, every single letter must be spelled, capitalized, punctuated and spaced (or not spaced) properly, literally NOTHING can be omitted or skipped.

Fortunately this is the easiest part to get right: Be a robot. Don't make any mistakes.
    BE PERFECT IN EVERYTHING YOU DO HERE!!

If you get any errors, learn how to read the error code and fix your error. Google is your friend here. Do NOT continue until you fix your error. Your error will probably be somewhere near the parenthesis numbers (line and character position) in the file. It is almost CERTAINLY your typo causing the error, so look again and fix it.

Step 2. Go back and work through every part of the tutorial again, and this time explain it to your doggie. See how I am doing that in my avatar picture? If you have no dog, explain it to your house plant. If you are unable to explain any part of it, STOP. DO NOT PROCEED. Now go learn how that part works. Read the documentation on the functions involved. Go back to the tutorial and try to figure out WHY they did that. This is the part that takes a LOT of time when you are new. It might take days or weeks to work through a single 5-minute tutorial. Stick with it. You will learn.

Step 2 is the part everybody seems to miss. Without Step 2 you are simply a code-typing monkey and outside of the specific tutorial you did, you will be completely lost. If you want to learn, you MUST do Step 2.

Of course, all this presupposes no errors in the tutorial. For certain tutorial makers (like Unity, Brackeys, Imphenzia, Sebastian Lague) this is usually the case. For some other less-well-known content creators, this is less true. Read the comments on the video: did anyone have issues like you did? If there's an error, you will NEVER be the first guy to find it.

Beyond that, Step 3, 4, 5 and 6 become easy because you already understand!

12. UnityUserLuke

UnityUserLuke

I have this error in my console and I dont know how to debug it. Please help me.

Assets\DynamicVelocityRotation.cs(34,53): error CS0193: The * or -> operator must be applied to a pointer

This is my code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class DynamicVelocityRotation : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    9.     public Transform nukeTrans;
    11.     public GameObject Nuke1;
    13.     public Rigidbody2D nukeRigid;
    15.     private void Start() {
    17.     }
    20.     // Update is called once per frame
    21.     void FixedUpdate()
    22.     {
    24.         Vector2 vel = nukeRigid.velocity;
    26.         float ang = Mathf.Atan2(vel.y, 10) * Mathf.Rad2Deg;
    28.         nukeTrans.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(new Vector3(0, 0, ang - 90) );
    29.     }
    32.     void Update() {
    33.         if  (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Space)) {
    34.             nukeRigid.AddForce(Vector2.up, * 0.89f, * Time.deltaTime * 2000f);
    35.         }
    36.     }
    37. }

13. Check the line 34 for mistyping stuff. You have a messy line there, neither
    * 0.89f
    nor
    * Time.deltaTime * 2000f
    make any sense.

Bunny83 likes this.
  14. Bunny83

Bunny83

You start by reading the documentation on AddForce:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void AddForce(Vector2 force, ForceMode2D mode = ForceMode2D.Force);
    As you can see the method has only two arguments and the second "mode" argument at the end is optional. You currently have two commas in that method call. So that would assume 3 arguments which makes no sense since the method only has 2 and the second one is optional. So you actually want to pass a single argument. The error comes from exactly those commas because each value between the commas just make no sense. Using an unary
    operator would be used by pointers to dereference it. The compiler complains because you used that on something that isn't a pointer but just a float.

So remove the commas and it should work. You really should work on understanding the code and why there are commas in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.